Laura HaHe

Should I Get My Daughter Tested For Celiac Vs Gluten Intolerance?

Rate this topic

Hello All!

I have a two and a half year old daughter. She has had chronic diarrhea since she was born. She also had a red itchy rash on her cheeks for almost a year. These symptoms disappeared when we took her off of gluten and dairy. She still gets diarrhea sometimes but then we know that she ahs had something she should not have had.

This is my question: Should I get her tested for celiac disease? She has had a blood test (IGG) showing elevated levels for gluten and diary. Currently I have no idea is she has celiac or gluten intolerance. Should I have her tested? Is it worth putting her back on gluten for the test? Can I know now what she has without having further testing?

Thanks!

Its an easy test to take. But she needs to be on gluten to be able to get a proper diagnosis x

A related question: I have two children (age 5 and age 3.) My husband has celiac disease (not confirmed by testing - our GI doctor says he is so sure of it the test is not necessary and nothing on earth would convince my husband or me to let him go back on gluten to get the diagnosis.) My children are both healthy, active, with no apparent stomach issues. We keep a gluten free home, but the kids and I do eat gluten when we're out of the house - as often as once a day (once you count lunch at the babysitters.) Should I have the kids tested even though they're not exhibiting symptoms?