This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Blood In Stools And Coeliacs

Bex1391

Bex1391 Newbie

I began with rather abit of blood coating my stools about 4 months ago, it was only that much once and since then its only been a small bit. I spoke to my doctor who sent me for blood tests straight away 3 months ago. I tested positive for coeliacs. Still waiting for results from endoscopy but dr said my small intestines look fine. (not had biopsies back yet). Regardless of this he says because of highly positive blood test he will be diagnosing me with coeliacs. I have been gluten free for 2 weeks and am still having a small amouny of blood on the surface of my stools every other day, like a small line. My GP is still saying this coeliacs. But should it still be happening every other day after 2 weeks?! Has anyone else had anything like this? Or blood in stools at all. Im only 20 and very worried so would be nice to hear if anyone has had anything like this.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

beachbirdie Contributor

I began with rather abit of blood coating my stools about 4 months ago, it was only that much once and since then its only been a small bit. I spoke to my doctor who sent me for blood tests straight away 3 months ago. I tested positive for coeliacs. Still waiting for results from endoscopy but dr said my small intestines look fine. (not had biopsies back yet). Regardless of this he says because of highly positive blood test he will be diagnosing me with coeliacs. I have been gluten free for 2 weeks and am still having a small amouny of blood on the surface of my stools every other day, like a small line. My GP is still saying this coeliacs. But should it still be happening every other day after 2 weeks?! Has anyone else had anything like this? Or blood in stools at all. Im only 20 and very worried so would be nice to hear if anyone has had anything like this.

Is the blood fresh and bright?

Has anyone told you whether you have perhaps a hemorrhoid or fissure or possibly diverticulosis? I have experienced the stripe of blood, never been sure if it's the little internal hemorrhoid they found, or related to diverticulosis. Are you getting plenty of fiber/fresh fruits and veggies? Not necessarily saying that is what you have, it is just one possibility. I'm definitely not a medical professional, just offering one more thing to think about.

beachbirdie

maximoo Enthusiast

Have you had a colonscopy? if you haven't had one I would ask Dr to order one.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Have you had a colonscopy? if you haven't had one I would ask Dr to order one.

I agree strongly with this. Chances are it is hemmies but you really want to find out for sure.

GFinDC Veteran

I had blood in the stool also. It stopped after I Was gluten free a while. I also had black stool which is said to be caused by blood.

Since you have only been gluten free for 2 weeks it is not surprising that you aren't completely healed. Especially since it is fairly common for people new to the diet to make mistakes and not realize they are eating gluten. Gluten can be found in lots of processed foods and is not always easy to identify. It is good to stick with a whole foods diet when starting out, and also to drop dairy and soy for a few months.

Bex1391 Newbie

It is fresh and bright, im trying to eat more fibre now as i have suffered with constipation for a long time. What exactly is a whole foods diet? Im going to ask for a colonoscopy too I think! Thanks for everyones input :)

ravenwoodglass Mentor

It is fresh and bright, im trying to eat more fibre now as i have suffered with constipation for a long time. What exactly is a whole foods diet? Im going to ask for a colonoscopy too I think! Thanks for everyones input :)

Whole foods are simply foods that have not been processed or single ingredient foods. Fresh meats, fish, chicken, eggs, fresh or single ingredient frozen fruits and veggies, potatoes, plain and wild rice are examples of whole foods.

Your tummy may tolerate cooked veggies and fruits the easiest at first and if you haven't been eating a lot of fruits and veggies increase them slowly. Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of both soluable and insoluable fiber if you like them.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Bex1391 Newbie

Thank you I will try that, if im completely honest the blood started about 9 years ago but used to just be on the tissue now and again when i wiped, got worse over the years not sure if its the same thing though

Archived