Rate this topic

Hey guys, I have been off gluten for almost 6 months. Things are going good and i am getting healthier. I am having a few ups and downs still so i figured i would throw out a few questions.

1. Did anybody else deal with fat malabsorption? And does that cause night blindness? Maybe there is another reason for it to do with vitamins or something but i swear i don't like driving at night because my vision is not what it should be without the light.

2. Does anybody that eats raw nuts/seeds have luck with trader joes brand? I eat their sunflower seeds and walnuts regularly but the brazil nuts and others say they are produced in a facility that handles wheat?

3. Finally, how did those that have fructose malabsorption deal with those issues? What were your symptoms?

-Joe

Hey guys, I have been off gluten for almost 6 months. Things are going good and i am getting healthier. I am having a few ups and downs still so i figured i would throw out a few questions.

1. Did anybody else deal with fat malabsorption? And does that cause night blindness? Maybe there is another reason for it to do with vitamins or something but i swear i don't like driving at night because my vision is not what it should be without the light.

-Joe

Glad you are feeling better! I think many of us have ups and downs occasionally so I'd like to think I'm normal. :P

I don't have fat malabsorption so don't know the relationship between it and night blindness. I do know that I can't see well to drive at night and therefore avoid it like the plague. I get too much glare from lights and headlights that it's just not worth it to me to chance it. But then I'm o.l.d. :lol:

1. yes. it went away once I was gluten free for awhile. Took longer for the night blindness to go away. Am absolutely fascinated that I can see things at night now, sometimes I go outside and just look at stuff. Have no idea if it's related. You can also get glare reflective lenses to wear for driving, this is a big help. I still don't like freeway driving at night here (but it's CA and the people drive like squirrels on crack on these freeways, speeding like crazy thru construction zones and tailgating, etc. the last time I drove the highway during the day, the other people are all doing 80mph, I'm doing 70, 5 mph over the limit, so hopefully they get the ticket first. There are still people going faster than this. )

2. don't eat trader joes but have heard other people have had problems with cross contamination. I am really bummed about sunflower seeds, as so many of these seem to be cc'd.

3. seem to be okay with fructose but again if you're short on B complex vitamins this is a problem, try doing searches on PubMed for fructose and vitamin B. I think this also means you need magnesium. Somebody did a study with rats and corn syrup....