This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Kraft Mac N' Cheese Powder Cheese Packet

jkmunchkin

jkmunchkin Rising Star

Does anyone know if the powdered packet of cheese in Krafts boxed Mac n' Cheese is gluten-free? It would make such a quick and easy meal if I could just use that with my Tinkyada elbow pasta. I know I've read a lot of people use Velvetta but I really like the powdered cheese from the Kraft boxes.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Kraft is a brand that will not hide anything so just check the label and if it doesn't have wheat,rye,barley,oats right on the label then it is safe.

I have not used it or read it so I can't tell you for sure but I believe people on here use it and it is gluten free but just check.

mytummyhurts Contributor

I don't have a box right here. But is that possible? Because they probably don't seperate the noodle ingredients from the cheese packet ingredients on the outside of the box. Obviously the noodles are not gluten-free, so wheat is probably listed.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I think they would have separate ingredients but I am not sure because I do not use it. I use Velveeta cheese which I love and know is gluten free.

pantrygirl Newbie
Does anyone know if the powdered packet of cheese in Krafts boxed Mac n' Cheese is gluten-free? It would make such a quick and easy meal if I could just use that with my Tinkyada elbow pasta. I know I've read a lot of people use Velvetta but I really like the powdered cheese from the Kraft boxes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, the Kraft cheese powder is gluten-free. I have a list of the ingredients at home and can give it to you later but I use it with gluten-free pasta and it's great.

pixiegirl Enthusiast

I've read in many different places that the Kraft cheese powder is gluten-free and Kraft is a company that doesn't hide ingredients. The powder comes in a sealed packet so you don't have to worry about contamination but I'd wipe it off first.

I've also heard that you can buy just the powder in some stores but I've never been able to find it, if someone has a source for this (online preferably) please post it!

Susan

Guest taweavmo3

I have found the cheese before.....but it was no where near the Kraft mac & cheese boxes. If I remember right, it was with the popcorn salt. It's in a skinny shaker tube. The only problem I found, was that it was over $2 for the small tube of it, and I had to use nearly the whole container for one pkg of noodles. It was cheaper to just buy the box of M&C, and toss the noodles. Anyway, that's just my experience, maybe there's a different container of the cheese powder and I just didn't see it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

frenchiemama Collaborator

I just emailed them to ask if purchasing the cheese packets was possible, I hate to throw away food even if it is only wheat macaroni noodles. I also asked if they would consider making a gluten-free version w/rice noodles, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

mytummyhurts Contributor

Ok, I do have the box in front of me now (I bought it just for this post). The ingredients are seperated for the cheese and the noodles. The cheese ingredients are whey, milk-fat, milk protein concentrate, salt, calcium carbonate, sodium tripolyphosphate, contains less than 2% of citric acid, sodium phosphate, lactic acid, milk, yellow 5, yellow 6, enzymes, cheese culture.

Guest nini

We just found the powder in the "skinny tubes" at Wal Mart. It was only $1.25. I don't think we will be using it for mac and cheese, I prefer Velveeta or Deli Select American Cheese for my mac and cheese. But I like the idea of sprinkling it on popcorn or mashed potatoes or in rice, things like that...

celiac3270 Collaborator

You can buy it in a cheese shaker, too--gluten-free and free of any contamination risks, though I also trust the packet.

skbird Contributor

I think I read about someone on this board saying they got sick after using a mac and cheese powder packet but it could be that it's hard to keep cross contamination with all that pasta powder on the packet.

I used to love Annie's mac and cheese - I know I've seen on their web site you can order the cheese packets without the pasta. Not cheap though, $1.39 and up a packet...

Open Original Shared Link

Stephanie

skbird Contributor

Oh, cool! Annie's now makes a gluten free mac and cheese!!!!

Open Original Shared Link

Especially cool that they state it's made in a wheat and gluten free facility! Awesome!!!

I hope the pasta is better than DeBoles! I *know* the sauce is!

Stephanie

jkmunchkin Rising Star

Wow thanks everyone!! Abby I can't believe you bought a box just to list the ingredients for me - that is beyond sweet : )

• 1 year later...
Mal Explorer

has anyone else had a reaction to velvetta?...i had it over tinkyada pasta...

and the first bit...went right throught me, like ASAP...

:-(

NoGluGirl Contributor
We just found the powder in the "skinny tubes" at Wal Mart. It was only $1.25. I don't think we will be using it for mac and cheese, I prefer Velveeta or Deli Select American Cheese for my mac and cheese. But I like the idea of sprinkling it on popcorn or mashed potatoes or in rice, things like that...

Dear nini,

The packets with the Kraft Easy Mac are separate from the box. Does that mean they are safe? That would be so good on that pasta I got from the healthfood store. I miss Mac'n cheese. It would be sooooooooo good!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

hannahsue01 Enthusiast

I am not a fan of velveta cheese especially in macaroni so I was estatic when I found this kraft cheese. It is in a blue thin tube. It is labled kraft Mac & Cheese and also says popcorn cheese on the pkg. I have found it with the parmasion cheese in a shaker as well as by the popcorn depending on the store. I use about 1/2 a tube per pkg of tinkyada pasta. I add milk and butter as directed on there boxes of mac and cheese. Our entire family loves it!

jkmunchkin Rising Star

LOL!! So funny to see one of my old posts. I've never had Velvetta so I can't comment on that, but the Kraft Mac n' Cheese powder on Tinkyada pasta makes an identical mac n' cheese. Yum!!

beaglemania Rookie

yes, the cheese packet is gluten-free. I buy the box of mac&chesse, take the cheese packet out and just use it with my gluten-free pasta. Then I tell my sis she can just make pasta with the rest of the noodles in the package. :lol: works for me, although sometimes she gets mad b/c i took the best part, the cheese.

Kassie Apprentice

we buy the kraft cheese shaker and then just follow the recipe on the back of a mac n cheese box but put gluten-free noodles on. it taste exactly like the kraft mac n cheese that i really missed, and it only takes a 1/4 cup of the cheese powder for one box. :P

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Just to echo an earlier sentiment.

Tinkyada Pasta + Kraft Cheese = gluten-free Mac N Cheese that tastes like the Kraft Stuff.

It is actually amazing! LOL

I might make Cheesburger Macaroni tonight...YAY!!

jen2be2 Explorer

jen2be2 Explorer

jen2be2 Explorer

I was going to ask about the Velveeta. I *think* I read that it had maltodextrin in it and I thought that substance was a big no-no. If not, please let me know because I have a DD who LOVES Velveeta.

Oh, BTW~ the Annie gluten-free mac and cheese is wonderful!!!!

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

In the USA, maltodextrin is corn-based. However, always call the manufacturer.

Kraft told me Velveeta was "ok".

Archived