MTBGirl

Resolution Of Symptoms, Then A Return!

Rate this topic

Hi there - I'm new here

I'm 40, and was diagnosed as coeliac in September 2010. I also have lupus, Sjogren's and urticarial vasculitis, so seem to be collecting auto-immune disorders.

I've followed a strict gluten free diet since diagnosis, and my symptoms did settle.

I recently attended my GP for a check up and my tTG was 15 (pre-diagnosis it was >200). The GP says this is positive (although Coeliac UK say that the normal UK lab reference would mean that anything less than 20 is regarded in normal). I haven't queried the lab reference range with her yet but will do when I next see her.

At the time of testing, I was well with no symptoms, but strangely, over the past 3 weeks I've had chronic diarrhoea.

So I wondered;

- how long would it normally take for someone with such a high tTG level to return to normal?

- does the fact that I have other auto-immune conditions mean that I may take longer to reach normal?

- if I have consumed gluten in error, how long do the symptoms normally occur? I've read a few days, but mine has been 3 weeks, and seems to be getting worse!

Many thanks indeed for your help and I look forward to getting to know you all better!

Lynne (UK)

Hi there - I'm new here

I'm 40, and was diagnosed as coeliac in September 2010. I also have lupus, Sjogren's and urticarial vasculitis, so seem to be collecting auto-immune disorders.

I've followed a strict gluten free diet since diagnosis, and my symptoms did settle.

I recently attended my GP for a check up and my tTG was 15 (pre-diagnosis it was >200). The GP says this is positive (although Coeliac UK say that the normal UK lab reference would mean that anything less than 20 is regarded in normal). I haven't queried the lab reference range with her yet but will do when I next see her.

At the time of testing, I was well with no symptoms, but strangely, over the past 3 weeks I've had chronic diarrhoea.

So I wondered;

- how long would it normally take for someone with such a high tTG level to return to normal?

- does the fact that I have other auto-immune conditions mean that I may take longer to reach normal?

- if I have consumed gluten in error, how long do the symptoms normally occur? I've read a few days, but mine has been 3 weeks, and seems to be getting worse!

Many thanks indeed for your help and I look forward to getting to know you all better!

Lynne (UK)

Hello!

I an so sorry you are not well...I have no great experience with all the auto immune diseases you have except Celiac. I never even had diarrhea when I was eating glutem, my diagnosis was a fluke (i was very sick and all a mystery to the Dr's). Anyway, in March, I licked a spoon by mistake that touched an English muffin that I was putting peanut butter on. I was sick within a few hours and the diarrhea lasted almost 7 weeks. My Dr. thought there was NO WAY it was from the gluten (and maybe not) but the timing was suspicious and they ruled out a bunch of stuff at the Dr's office.

Did you rule out various illnesses that cause diarrhea?

Hi there and thanks for your reply.

Pre-diagnosis my main symptom was diarrhoea. And although I've currently got diarrhoea, I am pretty sure that I haven't had any gluten. The only risk is that I've had it whilst eating out, since I have no control there.

I also have migraines at present - 9 in the past 7 weeks, which is very unusual for me!

I haven't had any investigations for either as yet, but I have a routine rheumatology appointment on Wednesday (for my other auto-immune disorders) so I will be mentioning both my migraines and diarrhoea then.

In the meantime, if anyone has any experiences they can share to help me with my questions, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks again for your response!

Lynne