rachbomb

What Now?

Rate this topic

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping for some "veteran" advice here. I have been gluten free since Jan. and dairy and soy free since Feb. After making slow progress I added probiotics (per my doc) and by May was starting to feel about 80-90%. The past few weeks have been bad - and seem to be different than my gluten symptoms. Over a week ago I got some moderate gas pain on the right side for a few days and then about a week of D. Then for the last 4 days I haven't had a bowel movement but have a lot of gas. WHAT IS GOING ON? I called my doc after the first few days of D (because that is an unusual symptom for me) and he had me switch probiotics and said to wait it out a week or two. I just want to feel normal again. I don't care about what I can't eat but if I have to avoid my favorite foods I just want to feel good.

What are you eating besides the suspected probiotics?

They are definitely dairy free (I made that mistake a few months ago). I am eating the exact same that I have been eating for the past few months - very little processed food and I don't eat out besides the occasional trip to Chipotle.

Does anyone have any ideas? I just went to see my Doc and she said "well, you might have IBS too". ARG! I'm willing to do another elimination diet if needed but I barely even know where to start. Plus, I need to stop losing weight (I was finally stabalizing after 4-5 months of being gluten-free but the past month has been bad again).

did the new symptoms start immediately after starting the pro-biotics, or sometime after?

It could be additional food intolerances, or it could be a virus, or it could be a low grade bacterial food poisoning even. Something you're eating is not agreeing with you. Take a good look at everything, re-read labels, and maybe initially just stay away from the "usual suspects" like dairy, soy, peanuts and nuts for about a week and see what happens.

are the probiotics in a capsule? i have to empty the contents of my blood pressure meds out of the capsule when i take them b/c i get a reaction from the capsule - it's made from 'starch' (unspecified) and it contains dye. something in that capsule makes me sick, though. that was a tough one to figure out :(