This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Glutened? Now What?

sleer

sleer Contributor

I'm sure there have been several posts about this but when you get some accidental glutening via cross contamination or just simply not asking the right questions, is there something you do that makes the symptoms pass more quickly? I do not always get D with my glutening. I do always bloat, fatigue, I get achy and have the foggy brain, and I get all itchy. I also seem (and this is often my first symptom) get what feels like a lump of mucus in the back of my throat but it's not really mucus just a sensation. Anyway, I usually try to flush with tons of water but is there something else everyone does to either make them pass more quickly or make them more bearable?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MelissaBe123 Newbie

I take ginger root. I get bloated and feel sick so ginger root helps a lot.

Salax Contributor

Ginger Ale is helpful. Mucinex helps with mucus, dramamine helps with dizziness and brain fog. Couple advils or tyenols for body aches, benadryl for itchies. But I wouldn't take all of that at once. Decide which is the worst, start there. With time it will pass, it sucks, but it won't last forever.

I hope you feel better.

Jenniferxgfx Contributor

Pepto bismol, water, and patience. Plus any other drugs for symptoms (pain meds, anxiety meds, etc), and remember it will pass. Be kind to yourself and give your body credit for working so hard despite a glutening! That's how Ive been doing it.

glutenfreeinminnesota Contributor

Ginger Tea and tons of water...plus I usually try to just lay around and be as lazy as possible ;)

GFshay Apprentice

Sorry you're not feeling well. Peppermint tea or Altoids could help with the "lumpy" sensation in your throat and also perk your brain up a bit. Aloe juice is a lifesaver to me for any stomach upsets (you can buy it at health food stores- just don't take too much at first- 1 tbsp or so). Sometimes getting out and moving a bit, like going for a walk, does wonders. I guess it speeds up your metabolism or something. It will pass!

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

I just read about this topic last night in a book The Gluten Connection by Shari Lieberman. She says if you are glutened, take digestive enzymes, preferably enteric coated. There's one called Wobenzym N ( made in Germany, but available in the US) or Glutenon (in Australia).

The enteric coating ensures the tablet will not be digested by stomach acid and will move into the lower intestine where it's needed.

While the enzyme won't eliminate all symptoms, it will make them much less severe. She recommends we carry it with us at all times. She says it works best if taken 30 minutes before a meal when you have to eat things that you aren't 100% sure are gluten free and not contaminated. It can also be taken aafter ingestion of gluten. Best taken as soon as possible.

NO ONE should take the enzymes with the idea that it's a way to continue to consume gluten.

I haven't taken the time to look for these..but I'm thinking it would be like someone with an allergy cayying meds to offset an accidental contact? A good thing to have?

This book also tells of a recommended vitamin/suppliment plan that's done in 3 stages to help heal gluten damage.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

veruca Newbie

Personally tea helps, but it's best to just take it easy. After being glutened go back to being much more strict with yourself and try to make your own food as much as possible. You can be more sensitive after an episode so give yourself time to fully recover before trusting restaurants too much.

lilu Rookie

My hubby is another peppermint tea drinker. It doesn't make everything better, but it does sooth the worst of the symptoms, relaxes him, and allows him enough comfort to rest.

Marilyn R Community Regular

I like a good long soak in a hot tub with lots of epsom salts, baking soda and a couple of drops of peppermint oil, and a paperback trashy novel.

lizdehart Newbie

Thank you, Bubba's Mom. I posted another thread about B. lactis probiotics. I do have digestive enzymes and will make sure I take them in case of accidental glutening as well!

Archived