ChristyL

gluten-free Foods On Hilton Head Island?

Rate this topic

We are going on our first vacation since our daughter, 2 yrs old, got diagnosed with Celiacs. We're going to Hilton Head with another family that is not gluten-free. It is a 10 hour drive so I can only bring non-perishable foods with me. Does anyone know if there is a good grocery store to buy gluten-free foods on the island? I'm getting a little (lot) stressed out about keeping her away from gluten in an environment I don't know. She is super sensitive.

If you can make room in the car, how about using a cooler filled with dry ice for some favorite foods? That will absolutely keep things cold. We just returned from Maui and I checked a cooler of specialty items on dry ice. Worked beautifully. I purchased the dry ice at my local grocery store. I'm in CA, but all the major stores around here have it. You just have to ask the checker because it's always in a locked case so it's handled properly (with gloves).

Hopefully some others will chime in with some restaurant options too. Have a great trip!

I went to HH a couple of years ago and found little there at that time. Maybe it's improved since then. Take what you can and feed her naturally gluten-free stuff like meat, fruit, seafood and so on.

richard

Haven't been to HH in ages, but we have been traveling all summer. Are you staying in a place with a kitchen? I suggest you bring a pan from home to make pasta, a colander and maybe a frying pan. Also, aluminum foil and parchment paper for the other pans. There are also these things called toaster bags that you can use to make toast. I got some and they're helpful for a shared kitchen. You can order the toaster bags online.

The other thing that we do now (we have been traveling around Germany and France all summer) is to bring an entree out with us in a thermos when we are off site seeing and if we go to a cafe or restaurant my daughter orders a juice or soda and sometimes fruit or candy. This means we aren't carting these around all day.