bartfull

Fruit Shortcake

Rate this topic

Well, I finally found a way to eat ricecakes that I like. At first I tried them with melted cheese. They were like styrofoam. Then I tried them with homemade huckleberry jam. Better, but still hard to choke down.

But today I did something different. I had some fresh blueberries and some fresh bing cherries. I mashed them up together with a little sugar, then poured them over a bowl of crumbled up ricecakes. It was GOOD.

I know that isn't much of a recipe, but for someone who can't cook (I used to think pork chops grew on trees, and you tapped the sap to get gravy. :blink: ) this has been a major breakthrough. Quick, easy, and tasty.

I had a huge disappointment yesterday though. I can't have corn either so all of those good gluten free breads are out - they all have corn starch. So, I bought some tapioca bread. I knew the texture would be different, and I could handle that, but I didn't know it would have such a weird taste. Guess I'll save it to make meatballs with. I have some Pamela'smix, but it's been too darned hot to turn the oven on.

Well, I finally found a way to eat ricecakes that I like. At first I tried them with melted cheese. They were like styrofoam. Then I tried them with homemade huckleberry jam. Better, but still hard to choke down.

But today I did something different. I had some fresh blueberries and some fresh bing cherries. I mashed them up together with a little sugar, then poured them over a bowl of crumbled up ricecakes. It was GOOD.

I know that isn't much of a recipe, but for someone who can't cook (I used to think pork chops grew on trees, and you tapped the sap to get gravy. :blink: ) this has been a major breakthrough. Quick, easy, and tasty.

I had a huge disappointment yesterday though. I can't have corn either so all of those good gluten free breads are out - they all have corn starch. So, I bought some tapioca bread. I knew the texture would be different, and I could handle that, but I didn't know it would have such a weird taste. Guess I'll save it to make meatballs with. I have some Pamela'smix, but it's been too darned hot to turn the oven on.

Very innovative! You know, the gluten-free lifestyle definitely brings out our creative side, doesn't it :)

Creative? I guess so. But I have also found that it is expensive. I'm trying lots of new foods and discovering that I don't LIKE a lot of them. For example, today I had wild rice. I found out I don't like wild rice AT ALL. I thought it tasted a lot like dirt. Then I found a worm in it, and that was the end of that experiment. I know, it looks like worms anyway, but this was DEFINITELY a real worm (or caterpiller to be exact) - it had legs and all. YUCK!