GFshay

Alopecia Getting Worse After 6 Mo Gluten Free

Rate this topic

I have had mild alopecia areata since I was about 6 years old and always dealt with it pretty well. I never had more than one or two quarter sized bald spots and they always grew back in after a couple months.

Last October, I was officially diagnosed with Celiac and went gluten free. At my 3 month follow-up, we ran extensive bloodwork and I had no antibodies and had all normal levels of nutrients, etc. My doctor thoroughly checked my thyroid hormones because he suspected I might have hyperthyroidism, but everything was totally fine. I've been feeling phenomenal, but my recent bald spots haven't been growing back... one has lasted 6 months without any activity...

I'm just curious if anyone has any ideas?? Has this happened to others in the absence of any vitamin deficiencies? I'm starting to get very nervous that it will worsen to the point of needing a wig or something... I've started corticosteroid injections and they are helping, but very slowly. I worry that my hair loss may progress faster than it can grow back... any ideas? Is it just my immune system adjusting?

I have had mild alopecia areata since I was about 6 years old and always dealt with it pretty well. I never had more than one or two quarter sized bald spots and they always grew back in after a couple months.

Last October, I was officially diagnosed with Celiac and went gluten free. At my 3 month follow-up, we ran extensive bloodwork and I had no antibodies and had all normal levels of nutrients, etc. My doctor thoroughly checked my thyroid hormones because he suspected I might have hyperthyroidism, but everything was totally fine. I've been feeling phenomenal, but my recent bald spots haven't been growing back... one has lasted 6 months without any activity...

I'm just curious if anyone has any ideas?? Has this happened to others in the absence of any vitamin deficiencies? I'm starting to get very nervous that it will worsen to the point of needing a wig or something... I've started corticosteroid injections and they are helping, but very slowly. I worry that my hair loss may progress faster than it can grow back... any ideas? Is it just my immune system adjusting?

You say everything came back fine with your thyroid testing, do you have the report? what were the numbers? did he test you for hashimoto's? or graves disease??