This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Can Kissing Cause Me To Get Glutened?

CourtneyLee

CourtneyLee Contributor

I don't know if this is a stupid question or not, but I just wanted to ask to get everyone's opinion! If my boyfriend has had lunch before he comes over, and say for example he had a burger or a sandwich, or even eating it next to me, and we then kiss after it or later on, would I get glutened from it?

I feel silly asking but I just want to know because I always think about it haha!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Hawthorn Rookie

Sadly, yes :(

CourtneyLee Contributor

Sadly, yes :(

Oh no :( How do I prevent it?

Get him to use mouthwash / brush his teeth?

Hawthorn Rookie

aye that and wash his face to make sure there are no traces on the lips.

This is one of the hardest parts for me. I have children, all who eat gluten currently since there seems to be no reason to take them off it. I miss those kisses :(

it's a sad state of affairs when one of those you love most kisses you on the lips and you think uh oh..did they wash their face/brush their teeth?

Hate that part :angry:

come dance with me Enthusiast

Can he cut it out? My whole family is now gluten free since my daughter is.

mamabear272 Explorer

I Always make hubby brush is teeth before he kisses me. Otherwise he gets my cheek. And I still kiss my little guy if I know he hasn't had gluten.

mommida Enthusiast

Hubby gave up gluten after he glutened me from kissing.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

veruca Newbie

I don't know if this is a stupid question or not, but I just wanted to ask to get everyone's opinion! If my boyfriend has had lunch before he comes over, and say for example he had a burger or a sandwich, or even eating it next to me, and we then kiss after it or later on, would I get glutened from it?

I feel silly asking but I just want to know because I always think about it haha!

IF you are really careful about the rest of your diet and lifestyle I don't think this will affect you, unless you are EXTREMELY sensitive. There are definitely people that react to even a minute amount of gluten, but if you are careful then you shouldn't change your life so much. Of course if your boyfriend still has some bread in his mouth don't kiss him or if he has a beard full of crackers.

I have heard this question asked before and have inquired as to this myself and the bottom line is unless you are VERY sensitive then it's okay.

JCastro Newbie

First of all, not a stupid question at all! I don't think there are any stupid questions here. Secondly, yes, I always make hubby brush his teeth after eating gluten or he knows he's only allowed to kiss my cheek...the things we have to do!

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Yes, you can get glutened! My husband always complied with my requests to brush his teeth before kissing me but he secretly doubted that it was really neccessary (thought I was going overboard a little bit). Before our house was completely gluten-free he was still allowed to eat Gluteny cereal in the morning for breakfast. He wasn't trying to test me or prove me wrong but over time he got lax about brushing his teeth before kissing me goodbye. He leaves for work very early in the morning and most of the time I am still in bed sleeping. He just comes in and kisses me goodbye while I'm asleep. Well when he did it without brushing his teeth, I had all my glutening symptoms a few days later and I had eaten nothing new and nothing I had not prepared myself. He decided to eliminate the gluteny cereal and make our house completely gluten-free. Now, he takes it very seriously and will even turn his cheek to me if I try to kiss him when he comes home and has had gluten. You may not get glutened from every quick kiss on the lips, but why risk it? It's nicer to kiss someone with freshly brushed teeth anyway. I usually brush mine in the other bathroom when he has to go brush his so we are both minty fresh. :P

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Yes, it's true...kisses can gluten you.

I call it the "kiss of death"

I didn't believe it at first...

Thought...ah, that won't happen to me....

Had a dinner date and a goodnight kiss....

And yes, I got sick.

Never again. It's not worth it.

Full glutening symptoms just from a kiss.

Archived