organicmama

Rice Dream & Other Rice Milks

Rate this topic

Is it just Rice Dream brand that has the gluten contamination issue? I know I've seen others including Pacific Natural Brands (I think), so wanted to know if these others are known to be gluten-free.

We try to keep our milk alternatives rotating so we don't do the same kind constantly. We do almond and hazelnut as well. Unfortunately none seem to be very nutritious and hemp wasn't drinkable for any of us.

Rice Dream does have gluten due to the fact that they include something from barley as I recall. There are a number of safe brands which have been mentioned on the forum, though I always make my own non-dairy milk when the occasion arises, so I don't know specifics. But I know Pacific and Blue Diamond are brands which have been discussed. If you haven't already tried it, coconut milk may be another type you can rotate in.

For something more nutritious, I think your best bet would be to make your own. Then you can add protein powder, calcium, magnesium, vitamin D, essential fatty acids, or whatever it is you desire.

For something more nutritious, I think your best bet would be to make your own. Then you can add protein powder, calcium, magnesium, vitamin D, essential fatty acids, or whatever it is you desire.

We do like coconut but it is kinda pricey and hasn't been on sale lately. Can you tell me how to make my own? Would adding protein powder make it viscous? Also, how do you add vitamins and EFAs? Grind a pill?

Is it just Rice Dream brand that has the gluten contamination issue? I know I've seen others including Pacific Natural Brands (I think), so wanted to know if these others are known to be gluten-free.

We try to keep our milk alternatives rotating so we don't do the same kind constantly. We do almond and hazelnut as well. Unfortunately none seem to be very nutritious and hemp wasn't drinkable for any of us.

I called Rice Dream in June of last year about this issue. They assured me that the enzymes they use are completely gone and the product is tested to be gluten-free. My son is highly sensitive and he has no issues with Rice Dream at all.

I think for that it must depend on the person, my daughter reacted very badly to the Rice Dream. I really wish they wouldn't say it was gluten free though because I didn't think it could be the milk until I read on here about the barley and then called the company, I stopped giving it to my daughter and she stopped having problems.

We do like coconut but it is kinda pricey and hasn't been on sale lately. Can you tell me how to make my own? Would adding protein powder make it viscous? Also, how do you add vitamins and EFAs? Grind a pill?

There are various ways to make your own milks, be it with coconut, or other nuts, seeds, etc. The most economical and best tasting way I know of for making coconut milk is to start with shredded coconut or coconut flour. Methods depend on what kitchen appliances you have, dietary restrictions, etc.

Since I haven't published my recipe book yet, I can't post a recipe here. But I am looking for recipe testers, so I could probably PM it to you if you promise not to share. Feel free to contact me via PM, and we'll take it from there.

I drink Rice Dream all the time but now I'm wondering if this is something that is preventing me from healing. I don't get any symptoms if I'm glutened so I don't know if I'm having problems with it or not. I've heard mixed opinions about rice dream. Now I'm worried.

this is what Rice Dream says about the product on its website:

Is RICE DREAM Beverage a gluten free product?

Yes. Although RICE DREAM Beverage is processed using a barley enzyme, the barley enzyme is discarded after use. The final beverage might contain a minute residual amount (less than .002%) of barley protein.

So my question is, is this minute bit of barley protein still harmful? I haven't been healing (at least since my last test in April) and I'm wondering if this is a problem for me.

The best way to find out is to stop using it.....

• Upvote 1

The best way to find out is to stop using it.....

Yep I agree. Personally I can't tolerate Rice Dream but am lucky since I have Wegmans in town and their store brand works well for me.

I guess I should stop drinking it, then. Since I do not get a reaction if I get glutened, I can't tell if this is continuing to make me ill or not. But I'm not gonna risk it anymore. I can switch to something else.