Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

speedy2056

Still Learning...

I've been moody in the past couple of days as well as feeling confused and today I've just made the discovery that the bottle of diet Pepsi that I have been consuming this week has barley gluten.

Man, this stuff is in everything!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Never heard of diet pepsi having malt barley??

Salax
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Celiac Disease - Gluten Free since Feb 2009,
Cow Milk &  Corn free - June 2012,
Gall Bladder Failure - Removed July 2009,
Colitis, Hashimotos Disease, & Diverticulitis

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
( )_( )
(='.'=)
(")_(") Eat your vegetables!

Never heard of diet pepsi having malt barley??

Me, neither. In fact, it is certified gluten free (scroll down to the ingredients). http://www.livestrong.com/article/324435-is-diet-pepsi-healthy-for-you/

Aspartame bothers me so I do not consume it any longer. Perhaps that could be an issue?

<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

It says on the bottle that it contains barley gluten in the allergy section on the label. It's a supermarket's own brand type. I can take a pic to prove it if you wish? I'll upload it to my photobucket.

It says on the bottle that it contains barley gluten in the allergy section on the label. It's a supermarket's own brand type. I can take a pic to prove it if you wish? I'll upload it to my photobucket.

My apologies. I thought you were talking the original Diet Pepsi! How weird. I have never heard of gluten in pop aside from a root beer flavour (do not recall the brand). I am thoroughly disgusted and feel for you.

<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

I would never have believed it if I hadn't seen it. I'm sorry you're feeling bad.

Lupus, Connective Tissue Disease with Fibro type symptoms, Anemia, Anxiety, Depression, RA, Rynauds Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Erosive Gastritis, Osteoporosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Scoliosis, Bulging discs in lower back and neck, Pinched Nerves.

Soy free, MSG free, mostly Dairy free. Endoscopy shows blunted Villi which dr states as gluten sensitivity, so goin back to being gluten free

Thanks for the well wishes, guys! I'm passing the bottle of Pepsi to friends of mine. There's still half left so there is no point in letting it go to waste. I'll be sure to read bottles of soda now in future, too.

I hope you guys have learnt from this for your own well being, too. :)

Thanks for the well wishes, guys! I'm passing the bottle of Pepsi to friends of mine. There's still half left so there is no point in letting it go to waste. I'll be sure to read bottles of soda now in future, too.

I hope you guys have learnt from this for your own well being, too. :)

I am very glad you posted this. It is very interesting but I am sorry you had to find it out the hard way.

The only quibble I have with your description is that in the first post you're calling it "Diet Pepsi" when it is actually a generic diet cola marketed in the UK, "Sainbury's," which contains the barley.

Not clear for what purpose, but when I compare the 2 ingredient lists it looks like the barley might be to make the caramel color.

Don't want to scare people here across the pond who are swilling the diet Pepsis.

My appologies as well, I thought it was the original Diet Pepsi as well. Weird that soda should have it, but then again other "weird" things have gluten and we all know how frustrating that can be.

I hope you feel better. :(

Salax
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Celiac Disease - Gluten Free since Feb 2009,
Cow Milk &  Corn free - June 2012,
Gall Bladder Failure - Removed July 2009,
Colitis, Hashimotos Disease, & Diverticulitis

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
( )_( )
(='.'=)
(")_(") Eat your vegetables!

Yes, I'm from the UK so it's a British version, but I did say it was the supermarket's own brand, not the proper brand of Pepsi.

There has been ONE good thing about this experience! At least now I know I'm definetely Celiac because my blood tests came back negative, so I didn't know whether I was just allergic to wheat itself. Now I know the test was definetely wrong because I have just isolated the gluten by mistake. Ha! :P