speedy2056

Still Learning...

Rate this topic

I've been moody in the past couple of days as well as feeling confused and today I've just made the discovery that the bottle of diet Pepsi that I have been consuming this week has barley gluten.

Man, this stuff is in everything!!

Never heard of diet pepsi having malt barley??

Never heard of diet pepsi having malt barley??

Me, neither. In fact, it is certified gluten free (scroll down to the ingredients). http://www.livestrong.com/article/324435-is-diet-pepsi-healthy-for-you/

Aspartame bothers me so I do not consume it any longer. Perhaps that could be an issue?

It says on the bottle that it contains barley gluten in the allergy section on the label. It's a supermarket's own brand type. I can take a pic to prove it if you wish? I'll upload it to my photobucket.

OMG! Is nothing safe? :angry: Pour that poison down the drain..and drink lots of water.

I hope you feel better quickly now that you know what was getting you.

It says on the bottle that it contains barley gluten in the allergy section on the label. It's a supermarket's own brand type. I can take a pic to prove it if you wish? I'll upload it to my photobucket.

My apologies. I thought you were talking the original Diet Pepsi! How weird. I have never heard of gluten in pop aside from a root beer flavour (do not recall the brand). I am thoroughly disgusted and feel for you.

I would never have believed it if I hadn't seen it. I'm sorry you're feeling bad.

Thanks for the well wishes, guys! I'm passing the bottle of Pepsi to friends of mine. There's still half left so there is no point in letting it go to waste. I'll be sure to read bottles of soda now in future, too.

I hope you guys have learnt from this for your own well being, too. :)

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the well wishes, guys! I'm passing the bottle of Pepsi to friends of mine. There's still half left so there is no point in letting it go to waste. I'll be sure to read bottles of soda now in future, too.

I hope you guys have learnt from this for your own well being, too. :)

I am very glad you posted this. It is very interesting but I am sorry you had to find it out the hard way.

The only quibble I have with your description is that in the first post you're calling it "Diet Pepsi" when it is actually a generic diet cola marketed in the UK, "Sainbury's," which contains the barley.

Not clear for what purpose, but when I compare the 2 ingredient lists it looks like the barley might be to make the caramel color.

Don't want to scare people here across the pond who are swilling the diet Pepsis.

• Upvote 1

My appologies as well, I thought it was the original Diet Pepsi as well. Weird that soda should have it, but then again other "weird" things have gluten and we all know how frustrating that can be.

I hope you feel better. :(

Yes, I'm from the UK so it's a British version, but I did say it was the supermarket's own brand, not the proper brand of Pepsi.

There has been ONE good thing about this experience! At least now I know I'm definetely Celiac because my blood tests came back negative, so I didn't know whether I was just allergic to wheat itself. Now I know the test was definetely wrong because I have just isolated the gluten by mistake. Ha! :P