plumbago

What Specifically Does It Feel Like After You've Ingested Gluten

Rate this topic

(This posting is pretty graphic!)

One day this week, I had some pork from our cafeteria. I asked the cook if it was cooked with flour or soy sauce. No on both counts. I didn't go into the cross contamination possibilities for various reasons. Usually I just eat a salad there, but I was so tired of salads, and the pork looked too good.

So maybe about an hour or two later, I started feeling kind of warm and like I had an infection, and got a little burbly down there. It just felt like my body was going to soon, not then, reject something. I got home that late afternoon (5 or 6) and reject something it did. What do people call that? Atomic diarrhea? That's what it was.

The reason I bring this up at all was that there was minimal cramping beforehand, but more of that warm feeling that usually comes with an infection.

This all might be complicated by the fact that I've been low-level sick (sinus/coughing) for about one week now.

Before diagnosis in May 2010, I was for, I would say, most of the time not symptomatic, at least compared to others I've talked to with nightmare stories. Not drinking beer has helped enormously with gas and the gas pain, I'll say that. And of course not eating bread has been great. My skin has cleared a lot. Anxiety slightly less, and fewer gas pains and generally no D - whereas before I would have very loose stools in the a.m. I say all this by way of background.

So when I got that after meal heat feeling, it was definitely new since being gluten-free.

Any thoughts?

Plumbago

A sort of almost feverish feeling is one of the symptoms I used to get after eating gluten. I'd also get "hurricane gut" too. Maybe the BBQ sauce had gluten in it? Most people that aren't Celiac aren't aware of some of gluten's "aliases" and wouldn't recognize it in an ingredient list.

For me, often one of the first symptoms is tingling and numbness in the feet, hands, and jaw. Before I was diagnosed, a doctor told me that I had Bell's Palsy. Later, I would deal with the other reactions you have described.

Thanks Lonzo and Bubba's Mom.

I can never tell whether "Atomic gut" (LOL!... awesome description) is gluten or mild food poisoning when it's after I've eaten out. I have to treat my stomach kindly either way. I usually assume it's gluten and avoid whatever triggered it in the future.