lovesaceliac

Some Questions About Gluten Reactions...

Rate this topic

We're just over two years into this and unfortunately, still deal with gluten reactions on occasion. This is always due to CC. Our house is gluten-free and my celiac husband never intentionally eats anything with gluten...but CC at a restaurant or family member's house will knock him flat for three days. There seems to be a regular progression through symptoms beginning with day 1: feeling dizzy while eating the offending food followed by digestive upset day 2: extreme fatigue and joint pain to the point he can't get out of bed to day 3: depression, anxiety, and intense irritability. Usually on day four he can begin being functional again.

So I have a couple of questions:

Usually we can tell when he's been "glutened" and then we both get that sick to our stomach feeling because we know we're "in for it" the next three days. Is there anything to do immediately when this happens to make the reactions less severe? Similar to a person with an allergy taking benedryl.

And, all the discussion of "healing" on these forums...is the fact that he has been having this kind of reaction on average once per month preventing him from healing? After the most recent episode, I announced that we will no longer eat at restaurants ever and we haven't had a problem again yet. If we can keep his diet truely clean - will he feel generally better? (The change in his health when he cut gluten was amazing and wonderful, but he still has some unresolved issues.)

Please share your experience.

I'm new to Celic so I wouldn't really know. I don't even know when I'll start feeling better from my gluten free diet. I think you should contact a nutritionist or maybe your doctor?

Best of luck :)

I think you have answered your question. Don't eat food prepared by others. You may find a place to eat that is safe, one day.... :)

Bring food to other houses just for hub or eat before you go.

• Upvote 1