EliB

Gluten Free Chicken And Beef

Rate this topic

Hi everyone! I am so glad to have stumbled on this resource. It is such a friendly place :)

I have recently been diagnosed with Celiac Disease, and have been really missing chicken and beef. The reason I am hesitant to eat either is because I have read that chickens in particular are often injected with wheat solution to make their muscles larger.

I would appreciate if anyone could help me out with what brands of chicken and beef are safe, and how I should go about finding out which in my supermarket are safe. Thank you in advance!

Hi everyone! I am so glad to have stumbled on this resource. It is such a friendly place :)

I have recently been diagnosed with Celiac Disease, and have been really missing chicken and beef. The reason I am hesitant to eat either is because I have read that chickens in particular are often injected with wheat solution to make their muscles larger.

I would appreciate if anyone could help me out with what brands of chicken and beef are safe, and how I should go about finding out which in my supermarket are safe. Thank you in advance!

It should always say on the package if it is injected with broth, so whenever I see that it is injected I stay away. I have never seen broth injected into Perdue chicken and I don't think Tyson either, but I have seen it in one the store brands near me.

I have never run across a chicken with plumping solution that contained wheat. If there is wheat in any product in the US or Canada, it must be declared in the allergen information on the label.

I think chicken would normally be injected with a salt/water solution (like a brine) to make it more moist and tender. Sometimes I do buy Perdue. List of gluten-free products here.

I've never, ever found a chicken "injected" with a wheat solution. Pretty much all of the main national brands have said their plain chickens are gluten-free.

richard

I've never, ever found a chicken "injected" with a wheat solution. Pretty much all of the main national brands have said their plain chickens are gluten-free.

richard

I've been told by my nutritionist, who also has celiac disease that manufacturers inject with a gluten saline solution, so I don't know what to think now. Please help.

I've been told by my nutritionist, who also has celiac disease that manufacturers inject with a gluten saline solution, so I don't know what to think now. Please help.

And my mom just had a dietician tell her it was OK to eat Chex mix on a super low sodium diet. :blink:

Not sure where they get thier info sometimes.

I buy chicken that says its not injected. Costs more.

I think your nutritionist is laboring under old information. We used to be warned that all "injected" meat or meat with a broth was dangerous. Since them we've learned that nearly all of it is safe. Here, for instance, is what Perdue says:

"Perdue chickens, chicken parts, and turkeys are all gluten-free. These are sold fresh as well as frozen and some are flavored with seasonings."

The broth is usually a vegetable or rosemary broth.

richard

The broth is usually a vegetable or rosemary broth.

Rosemary? Please, can you link where you found that? I have a family member allergic to rosemary and this may explain some reactions if it's true! Thanks!

Rosemary? Please, can you link where you found that? I have a family member allergic to rosemary and this may explain some reactions if it's true! Thanks!

I have no link. This was from calling companies when I used to do more of that but I THINK it was one of the larger poultry companies. The rosemary was not clearly listed.

richard

I have no link. This was from calling companies when I used to do more of that but I THINK it was one of the larger poultry companies. The rosemary was not clearly listed.

richard

Thanks! Maybe Mom can check the brands she usually buys or switch to a brand without plumping solution. I wonder where else rosemary is lurking that we never thought of???

I have seen frozen chicken that looks plain but lists wheat in the ingredients. Also some fast food chicken contains wheat even though it is listed as grilled.