AMom2010

Wow - gluten-free Really Makes A Difference!

Rate this topic

I have to say I am actually surprised at the results I've seen after being gluten-free for almost 2 weeks. I had a negative celiac panel, but was still convinced gluten was the culprit after reading so many of the topics on this forum and getting feedback from so many smarties on this board.

I started my gluten-free diet, but was eating non gluten-free oatmeal for breakfast (I was very skeptical that CC could be an issue). After 4 days, I began eating rice Chex for breakfast and about 36 hours later the joint pain in both my wrists vanished! I tried to eat oatmeal again after another 4 days and the wrist pain returned within an hour! I was honestly shocked. A couple of days after the latest oatmeal meal, I broke out with several pimples on my face (5 in a day) and the itchy armpits returned for a couple of hours.

I'll have to buy some gluten-free oatmeal as it has always been one of my favorite breakfasts (with brown sugar and toasted sliced almonds, yum!)

I am now very hopeful that the ataxia and anxiety will begin to subside as well. I am very encouraged to keep going! A very big, sincere thank you to everyone on this forum for sharing your knowledge with me!!

• Upvote 1

That's great news!

I've been gluten-free for almost a month and prior to going gluten-free i had a tooth that was bothering me. Anytime hot of cold would touch it I would have immense pain. I got the tooth filled but still had problems. I just simply couldn't eat food on that side. Well just recently I let cold touch it and it didn't bother me. I'm convinced going gluten-free has done this.

Now to get off zoloft, I'm on my way , and my BP meds:)

that's great!!! :)

COngrats on finding out what's working for you! Wishing you luck on feeling better again!! :D

There some people with celiac who react to oats like they react to other gluten grains. So it might be a better idea to stay off the oats , even gluten-free oats, for a month or two until you are better in tune with your body gluten free and know the diet better. There are other breakfast cereals you can eat, like BRM mighty tasty gluten-free hot cereal, or hot quinoa or hot rice too. Some people like corn grits for breakfast and there were a couple threads about how to fix/eat them not long ago.

I don't usually eat cereals anymore myself. I eat foods for breakfast that most people would consider dinner. It is not a bad idea to limit your carbs on gluten-free and also make sure you get some protein with every meal. Proteins keep your energy at a more even level than carbs do, and many grains are cc with gluten anyway.

I use to eat oatmeal every day myself but stopped when I found it caused me symptoms. They estimate 10 or more percent of people with celiac react to oats. So they just aren't safe for some people.

I have to say I am actually surprised at the results I've seen after being gluten-free for almost 2 weeks. I had a negative celiac panel, but was still convinced gluten was the culprit after reading so many of the topics on this forum and getting feedback from so many smarties on this board.

I started my gluten-free diet, but was eating non gluten-free oatmeal for breakfast (I was very skeptical that CC could be an issue). After 4 days, I began eating rice Chex for breakfast and about 36 hours later the joint pain in both my wrists vanished! I tried to eat oatmeal again after another 4 days and the wrist pain returned within an hour! I was honestly shocked. A couple of days after the latest oatmeal meal, I broke out with several pimples on my face (5 in a day) and the itchy armpits returned for a couple of hours.

I'll have to buy some gluten-free oatmeal as it has always been one of my favorite breakfasts (with brown sugar and toasted sliced almonds, yum!)

I am now very hopeful that the ataxia and anxiety will begin to subside as well. I am very encouraged to keep going! A very big, sincere thank you to everyone on this forum for sharing your knowledge with me!!

Yay! It's awesome, isn't it? For what it's worth (your experiences could be totally different but they sound similar so far), I felt great generally pretty fast but the neurological issues took longer to resolve. My ataxia started to seem a lot better from about 6 weeks, it probably took 3 months to be really good. I was unsure about the anxiety as 7 months in it nothing had changed and my doctor said it might be unrelated, but another 6 months has passed since then and I feel so much calmer, so it could be a coincidence or it might have taken that long.

Oh no, I hope I don't have to give up oatmeal! Thanks for the tip though.

Ana, I feel so good I don't imagine I will ever go back to eating gluten again. Hopefully like you I will see the neuro symptoms improve at some point. `

Omg you get itchy armpits too???? Mine have bothered me since I was a kid and now I get some relief! Unless cc'd :(

I'm a month into being gluten free after a negative biopsy and feel like a new person. screw the tests. :/

I glutened myself with oatmeal too, but it was Aveeno lotion. I though I'd be ok too. Live and learn I guess.

Yay you!

Yes, Jennifer, isn't gluten intolerance glamorous?

I feel like a rock star ;)