This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bread Machine Question

Marc49

organicmama Contributor

If soy is an issue for you, don't use Pam. It was in my organic olive oil spray. Quite the surprise!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sa1937 Community Regular

My pooch is not easily offended! LOL

I think the problem with Bob's Red Mill mixes is that they contain garbanzo bean flour and some people don't like it. Others do. Do you have any health food stores? If so, you might call to see if they carry Pamela's. No Whole Foods or Wegman's around here. On the other hand, I do use a lot of Bob's Red Mill flours and starches. Cornstarch can easily be found in any grocery store.

That said, you might want to pick up the ingredients to make that French bread...you know you're going to want to use that mixer as soon as you get it! The ingredients are simple and should be easy to find unless you live in the boonies. An Asian store would be good to get cheap rice flour. I've been tempted to try the French bread dough/batter for pizza but haven't yet. I've pretty much been using Jules Shepard's flour for pizza and she has a recipe on her blog.

I usually use a plain non-stick cooking spray. Haven't tried the olive oil spray although I do use olive oil. You might simply want to use canola oil to lightly grease your pans since you already have it.

And yes, a long process of experimention! It just never ends! Good luck!

Marc49 Explorer

Like you, there are no Whole Foods or places like it around here.

I don't live in the boons per se, but I guess it isn't quite big enough here to attract the specialty stores.

I have no clue about Asian markets as I am not into Oriental food but I will check. There IS a place here called Mother Earth, that I have heard is like a smaller version of Whole Foods. I will have to stop in or call as I have never been there before.

Now on the other hand, it seems like we have a Publix every 5 miles! :)

The county I live in has a population of around 330K IIRC.

Edit: Just called that Mother Earth place, and the guy said they carried almost all of Pamela's Products line, plus they have several other brands of bread mixes.

They also carry Sam Mill's pasta in ALL varieties! I can find some at Winn-Dixie but it's hit or miss. Their spaghetti and penne is the best I have ever had since going gluten-free. I can't even tell the difference.

Thanks once again for your suggestion of calling a health food store!

sa1937 Community Regular

I live in a much smaller area than you do and I don't have any problem get Bob's Red Mill products. To start with you might like to pick up some various bread and pizza mixes to try so you don't order in bulk and get stuck with something you don't like. Maybe the guy at Mother Earth can tell you what their best selling mixes are.

No Publix or Winn-Dixie in my area but their prices might be better than a natural foods store for basic gluten-free flours.

Sam Mills pasta is good and I can get it locally at a Mennonite-type store that also carries Bob's Red Mill products. Wal-Mart here also carries some Heartland pasta, which I've tried but don't recall what it's like. Otherwise my Wal-Mart doesn't have much gluten-free except Betty Crocker mixes.

Did Amazon give you an anticipated delivery date for your mixer?

Marc49 Explorer

Sylvia,....I took the free shipping obviously, and the projected window is 8/11 to 8/16.

I have always found that Amazon ships out far quicker than their projected dates when you choose free shipping. Obviously they are trying to convince you to upgrade your shipping choice! LOL

I can get Bob's Red Mill products at Publix, but as I said earlier, I didn't like the pizza crust mix that I tried. Also I have heard a lot of complaints about the other products, so I have not bought anymore.

You surely have seen me spouting about Sam Mill's pasta before. :)

I tried a lot of pasta until I ran across that stuff. It was like I had hit the lottery in terms of pasta, at least to me. I honestly can't tell the difference in most varieties, and it can be cooked al dente no problem. You can store it for days and nuke it, and it still tastes good IMHO.

I think my mother has a couple pyrex type bread pans which I may borrow as she hasn't used them for years most likely! That or I will run to Wallyworld for a cheapie to try out my first attempts with.

I have pasta covered,.....I also have pizza covered, but I would prefer to find a mix, or recipe that is cheaper than the 12" $6.50 ones I am buying currently.

Now if I could make a decent burger bun, and some bread I would be a happy camper! The other items like cake mixes and all that don't matter to me as I don't really have a sweet tooth,.....never have.

BTW,...I'm going to try that french bread recipe you linked. If I can use that for a 'sub roll' that would be fine also. The bun idea would work as well for my lunch. I just need SOME way to make a 'sandwich' that I can take with me when working and have no way to toast/nuke anything. I'm getting kind of tired of eating rolled up meat with cheese in the middle on those occasions! :rolleyes:

Ginsou Explorer

That French Bread recipe has received quite a few raves.....I was going to order a special pan over the internet, and a few days ago went into a thrift store and found a brand new one for a few dollars. I'm presently traveling in a motorhome and only have a micro/convection oven and will have to wait until I get home to try out the recipe.

Re: hamburger buns. I use 4" tuna fish cans for buns...you can also shape your own using aluminum foil. I also have a muffin top pan, but have not tried it yet. Check out the website www.MaidinAlaska.com click on recipe index, then click on hamburger buns.

sa1937 Community Regular

Sylvia,....I took the free shipping obviously, and the projected window is 8/11 to 8/16.

I have always found that Amazon ships out far quicker than their projected dates when you choose free shipping. Obviously they are trying to convince you to upgrade your shipping choice! LOL

I can get Bob's Red Mill products at Publix, but as I said earlier, I didn't like the pizza crust mix that I tried. Also I have heard a lot of complaints about the other products, so I have not bought anymore.

You surely have seen me spouting about Sam Mill's pasta before. :)

I tried a lot of pasta until I ran across that stuff. It was like I had hit the lottery in terms of pasta, at least to me. I honestly can't tell the difference in most varieties, and it can be cooked al dente no problem. You can store it for days and nuke it, and it still tastes good IMHO.

I think my mother has a couple pyrex type bread pans which I may borrow as she hasn't used them for years most likely! That or I will run to Wallyworld for a cheapie to try out my first attempts with.

I have pasta covered,.....I also have pizza covered, but I would prefer to find a mix, or recipe that is cheaper than the 12" $6.50 ones I am buying currently.

Now if I could make a decent burger bun, and some bread I would be a happy camper! The other items like cake mixes and all that don't matter to me as I don't really have a sweet tooth,.....never have.

BTW,...I'm going to try that french bread recipe you linked. If I can use that for a 'sub roll' that would be fine also. The bun idea would work as well for my lunch. I just need SOME way to make a 'sandwich' that I can take with me when working and have no way to toast/nuke anything. I'm getting kind of tired of eating rolled up meat with cheese in the middle on those occasions! :rolleyes:

I find that Amazon usually ships faster, too. I don't have a problem with Bob's Red Mill flours/starches...it's just the mixes I don't care for.

Good to hear the Sam Mills pasta reheats good, too! I usually make smaller portions but that would sure save a lot of time.

If you can't briefly nuke your sandwich, I think that French bread recipe might be a bit too chewy for your sandwiches. I usually find that warming them briefly helps freshen the bread. I hear you...I'd get tired of eating rolled up meat with cheese, too.

That French Bread recipe has received quite a few raves.....I was going to order a special pan over the internet, and a few days ago went into a thrift store and found a brand new one for a few dollars. I'm presently traveling in a motorhome and only have a micro/convection oven and will have to wait until I get home to try out the recipe.

Re: hamburger buns. I use 4" tuna fish cans for buns...you can also shape your own using aluminum foil. I also have a muffin top pan, but have not tried it yet. Check out the website www.MaidinAlaska.com click on recipe index, then click on hamburger buns.

Wow! Those buns look really good, Ginsou!!! I may have to try that recipe. I don't know if it would work for this recipe, but just using ice cream scoops of dough has worked for me in the past. I'd probably sub cornstarch for the arrowroot starch. I have also found mini aluminum pie tins locally for 10 cents each...I think they would work well for buns and would be reusable and a lot easier than making your own from aluminum foil.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Simona19 Collaborator

Check this. I just posted this. I wanted to post this month ago and when I read your post, I did it right away. It looks like bread, tastes like gluten free bread. I like it, specially freshly baked.

I baked twice bread from Pamela's mix, but I didn't like it much, my husband ate just one slice. I ate the whole thing myself. I didn't want to waste it. My husbands co-worker likes only this bread. Like Sylvia sad, you need to try recipes to find what will be good for you. What is good for one person, isn't good for other.

Marc49 Explorer

Those buns look really good, as does that last recipe.

Seems my problem is going to remain the sandwiches for lunch while working. Even the person that made the bun recipe said they are only good for the first day,........possibly the second.

This seems to be the big issue with any gluten-free bread product. Looks like I may have to start making something else for lunch like a big salad with meat, cheese, and hard-boiled eggs in it.

Regardless, a good bun recipe will certainly help me at home when grilling bison burgers! I can just toast them on the grill for a minute or so before eating.

Until about a month ago I was eating my burgers open faced. Then I finally found those Udi's buns at Publix.

I guess it was better than open faced, but I consider them barely edible.

Sylvia,......the Sam Mill's pasta, I generally just cook according to the label directions and it usually is a bit on the al dente side.

About 2 weeks ago I made a big batch of my homemade spaghetti sauce and I ate it for several days! LOL

I make a lot of sauce when I do it because it takes the better part of a day. I take a nice amount over to my mothers place as she loves it too,....of course she can eat regular pasta.

I REALLY like their penne pasta and that is what I used last time. The last batch had set in the fridge for three days mixed in a container with the last of the sauce. I simply tossed it on a plate and nuked it,......tasted just like the first day.

Anyway, I am looking forward to my mixer getting here and trying to learn how to be a baker! This will be something new for me. Everyone thinks I am a great 'chef' and a 'master' on the grill, but I have never baked anything from scratch in my almost 50 years. :)

sa1937 Community Regular

http://www.celiac.co...636#entry721636

Check this. I just posted this. I wanted to post this month ago and when I read your post, I did it right away. It looks like bread, tastes like gluten free bread. I like it, specially freshly backed.

I backed twice bread from Pamela's mix, but I didn't like it much, my husband ate just one slice. I ate the whole thing myself. I didn't want to waste it. My husbands co-worker likes only this bread. Like Sylvia sad, you need to try recipes to find what will be good for you. What is good for one person, isn't good for other.

So true! I've never tried Pamela's but I do keep diddling around with recipes. I figure most everything I make from scratch is better than anything I've ever bought (frozen or a mix).

sa1937 Community Regular

Marc, I bet the French bread would make really good garlic bread to go with your spaghetti! Next time I will cook up a bigger batch of pasta.

When I make hamburger buns, I find it works best if I freeze them unless I'm going to use some the first day. I put them into sandwich bags and then into a larger Ziploc bag. Then I can take out one and it's much fresher...still better nuked briefly. I do that with sliced bread, too...two slices per sandwich bag. Gluten-free bread is always better the first day. Like warm from the oven (it's hard to be patient to let it cool to slice).

Whatever you do, don't give up if your first bread baking experiences are less than stellar!

Marc49 Explorer

Marc, I bet the French bread would make really good garlic bread to go with your spaghetti! Next time I will cook up a bigger batch of pasta.

When I make hamburger buns, I find it works best if I freeze them unless I'm going to use some the first day. I put them into sandwich bags and then into a larger Ziploc bag. Then I can take out one and it's much fresher...still better nuked briefly. I do that with sliced bread, too...two slices per sandwich bag. Gluten-free bread is always better the first day. Like warm from the oven (it's hard to be patient to let it cool to slice).

Whatever you do, don't give up if your first bread baking experiences are less than stellar!

Ditto on the garlic bread idea!

I am going to try the Pamela's mix for my first attempt, and since I can get it locally I can find out what flours that same store carries.

I have a FoodSaver vacuum sealer that might help with storage of my 'bricks.' LOL

Either way I still am glad I went the mixer route. Even if after much trying, I can still make some bread for my mother, and/or I might get the meat grinder attachment and get into making my own sausage. :)

sa1937 Community Regular

Let us know if you like Pamela's bread. Hopefully you'll not bake many bricks...but think bread crumbs, croutons, stuffing, etc.

I've read that some of the KitchenAid attachments can really tax the motor. I'm sure making a bit of sausage would be fine but it's not meant to grind massive amounts (like a large amount of venison if you're a hunter).

Simona19 Collaborator

I found this. I'm waiting for the millet flour and my next bread would be this. I want to make it the same way as the potato bread with caraway seeds that I just posted.

It looks delicious.

Open Original Shared Link

Marc49 Explorer

WooHoo,.....my mixer is due here tomorrow from the tracking info! :)

Better get myself to that Mother Earth place later today or tomorrow so I can try something right away.

Sylvia, I used to hunt, but gave it up 15 years ago or more.

So I would only be trying to make small amounts from good cuts of meat. I buy a lot of bison from a family ranch in MN, and I prefer it over beef. The fat content is extremely low,.....actually better than chicken or pork, and there is no 'gamey' taste like some folks detect in venison. I can't even handle regular ground beef anymore.

Looks like I might be able to make my first 'failure' this weekend! B)

Marc49 Explorer

I found this. I'm waiting for the millet flour and my next bread would be this. I want to make it the same way as the potato bread with caraway seeds that I just posted.

It looks delicious.

Wow,....if looks mean anything, that 'looks' great! :P

sa1937 Community Regular

WooHoo,.....my mixer is due here tomorrow from the tracking info! :)

Better get myself to that Mother Earth place later today or tomorrow so I can try something right away.

Sylvia, I used to hunt, but gave it up 15 years ago or more.

So I would only be trying to make small amounts from good cuts of meat. I buy a lot of bison from a family ranch in MN, and I prefer it over beef. The fat content is extremely low,.....actually better than chicken or pork, and there is no 'gamey' taste like some folks detect in venison. I can't even handle regular ground beef anymore.

Looks like I might be able to make my first 'failure' this weekend! B)

We'll expect a full report, Marc!!! So you better get those baking goodies as you know you'll want to play with it right away. Don't say *failure*...think of all the yummy goodies you'll be able to bake! :D

love2travel Mentor

Just began reading this today as I thought it was all about bread machines which I do not have. Glad you bought a KA mixer as opposed to Cuisinart (in my opinion it is superior).

Sylvia, I have been disillusioned with Udi's lately. My first two loaves were alright but lately? Not really. So, I have been avoiding it. I am more impressed with their hamburger buns (at least they are substantial!). The Udi's bread looks like it should be served to Barbies. :D

So, meanwhile am still plugging away in search of awesome homemade gluten-free bread (as usual).

sa1937 Community Regular

Just began reading this today as I thought it was all about bread machines which I do not have. Glad you bought a KA mixer as opposed to Cuisinart (in my opinion it is superior).

Sylvia, I have been disillusioned with Udi's lately. My first two loaves were alright but lately? Not really. So, I have been avoiding it. I am more impressed with their hamburger buns (at least they are substantial!). The Udi's bread looks like it should be served to Barbies. :D

So, meanwhile am still plugging away in search of awesome homemade gluten-free bread (as usual).

Yeah, Marc did a lot of research before choosing a mixer. Now he'll have to share newly discovered recipes with us! :)

Also check out the links Ginsou and Simona have posted...those breads look yummy, too.

I haven't bought Udi's since June when I started to strictly bake my own bread but I will buy some of their hamburger buns to try them (if and when I see them around here).

freeatlast Collaborator

Which model would serve for our purposes? I assume there is no need to get a professional model?

I love Rudi's cinnamon raisin bread. Keep it frozen and get a slice at a time out and toast it. It doesn't have to thaw first. I even ate tomato sandwiches on it this summer with mayo put garlic powder and pepper on the tomato and it was good that way. Their regular bread is starchier and I don't like it as much.

sa1937 Community Regular

I bought the KitchenAid Artisan model, which meets my needs nicely. Love2travel is a major foodie and I believe she has a high end pro model. Amazon really kicks the prices around on KitchenAids. There's a $30 rebate now on certain models (including the Artisan).

freeatlast Collaborator

I bought the KitchenAid Artisan model, which meets my needs nicely. Love2travel is a major foodie and I believe she has a high end pro model. Amazon really kicks the prices around on KitchenAids. There's a $30 rebate now on certain models (including the Artisan).

Thanks, Sylvia. The reason I haven't bought one is because I don't bake yeast breads, but then I eat Rudi's which has yeast in it, so I may try some breads with yeast in them. They certainly rise better.

sa1937 Community Regular

Thanks, Sylvia. The reason I haven't bought one is because I don't bake yeast breads, but then I eat Rudi's which has yeast in it, so I may try some breads with yeast in them. They certainly rise better.

Hmmm...that's interesting. Maybe you can have yeast then since Rudi's bread does have it.

love2travel Mentor

Which model would serve for our purposes? I assume there is no need to get a professional model?

I love Rudi's cinnamon raisin bread. Keep it frozen and get a slice at a time out and toast it. It doesn't have to thaw first. I even ate tomato sandwiches on it this summer with mayo put garlic powder and pepper on the tomato and it was good that way. Their regular bread is starchier and I don't like it as much.

Mine is the big Professional Series BUT if you just use it for ordinary things you do not need that much power. I use it a lot (great for bread dough). My recommendation would be to ensure that the motor, etc. is metal (some newer ones are plastic and can break). Same goes with the attachments (whip, etc). I have heard and read many, many reviews on how vastly superior the metal attachments are to plastic. I also have the pasta maker attachments that work SO WELL! It is such fun making pasta (it was more fun making gluten pasta admittedly). KA have the best reputation for being workhorses and their longevity. What do you see on cooking shows such as Iron Chef? KA mixers.

love2travel Mentor

Yes - I have the highest-end model BUT I got it from eBay (shipping was $75 from the US to Canada). It was an excellent deal several years ago. It sounds weird but my KA mixer is one of my most prized possessions. I am fiercely possessive of it! :P But unless you do series baking and a lot of it I would do as Sylvia did and go with the Artisan (or another) model unless you can get a great deal on the Professional Series mixers. I cannot say enough good about them.

Archived