glutenfreeinminnesota

How To Store My Homemade gluten-free Bread

Rate this topic

I need to know the best way to store my homemade bread. I know when it's bought in a store, it's frozen. I think I refrigerated it last time, but can't remember. I just want to keep it fresh, and as I am the only gluten-free eater in my house, it will take a week or more to eat it all. Thanks!

I slice the whole loaf and then put two pieces in cheap foldover sandwich bags. Then those bags are put in a Ziploc freezer bag and frozen. It's easy then to take out two pieces at a time for a sandwich. That seems to work for me.

I slice the whole loaf and then put two pieces in cheap foldover sandwich bags. Then those bags are put in a Ziploc freezer bag and frozen. It's easy then to take out two pieces at a time for a sandwich. That seems to work for me.

That's a great idea!! Thank you!

If you didn't want to freeze it, I have had success (with some breads) by putting the loaf in a loaf-sized paper sack, and then putting it in plastic. The paper sack absorbs the moisture on the outside which encourages mold to grow and the plastic prevents air from getting in. Store in fridge or, with some loaves I just leave them on the counter. I tend to find that freezing dries the bread out.

I usually refrigerate mine. Homemade bread goes bad too fast for me if I don't refrigerate or freze it.

Some recipes are more mold retardant than others.... I use a lot of almond meal and amaranth in recipes, along with olive oil, and a bit of cider vinegar, and can store mine in the refrigerator, tightly wrapped or bagged in plastic.

Also have done a little vegan eggless chia seed loaf out of buckwheat, garbanzo, potato, almond, amaranth, teff, and can refrigerate that for over a week, it just dries out a bit and needs to be microwaved or toasted.

I had a test piece stored in the fridge in a ziplock bag for nearly two weeks which was mostly buckwheat.... with egg and oil... and the magic almond amaranth addition.... it was sort of comical, taking it out and studying it, to see when it was going to finally lose it.

Some of the commercial and homemade type gluten-free "white" breads with rice/tapioca type base material need to be frozen pretty fast as they mold up in 2 days on the counter, if not frozen.

I usually keep it out on the counter for a few days (depending on the humidity), then freeze what is left. I agree with mushroom that freezing tends to dry it out - once I freeze it, I mostly only use it toasted, french toasted or for grilled cheese.

I refrigerated two fresh slices, and froze the rest as I don't really know what I plan to eat it. The refrigerated one's became a PB&J and it was great! I took two frozen pieces out today and ended up toasting them, which was still fine :) Didn't really seem drier, but I did lay on the butter pretty thick lol. Thanks for all the advice!! I will try a different recipe next time.