CourtneyLee

What Food Intolerances Do You Have Along With Celiac Disease?

Rate this topic

I called The Coeliac Society, which is Australian. I was telling them how I am CONSTANTLY getting the symptoms coming back that I had before I was diagnosed, except they are 10 times worse.

The lady was lovely and she suggested that I see a dietician and do an elimination diet.

It just got me wondering, what are you guys unable to eat along with gluten?

For me, it is dairy and soy. That's what I have figured out so far. Soy is sneaky; it's in many things, like mayo, canned tuna.......you have to be even MORE diligent in reading labels than we already are. Just when you think you are doing well, along comes another food saboteur!

For me, it is dairy and soy. That's what I have figured out so far. Soy is sneaky; it's in many things, like mayo, canned tuna.......you have to be even MORE diligent in reading labels than we already are. Just when you think you are doing well, along comes another food saboteur!

I really hope I'm not able to eat anything else other than gluten :( I wont be able to cope haha

My list is rather lengthy and it all hit about the same time...suddenly at age 47. Glutens, dairy, nuts, eggs, beans and rice. I have gotten where I can do rice in a very limited amount and only occasionally. And I can do Lactaid milk and an occasional few bites of fresh mozzeralla and brie. I think the Lactaid helps with that.

Dairy and soy for both my daughters and I plus egg yolks and sweet potatoes for my youngesst and high fructose corn syrup (or too much sugar in general) for me and both my girls get moody when they have artificial colorings and my oldest gets an upset stomach with too many preservatives now that we eat mostly whole foods.

For me it Dairy,soy, Citric Acid, and high Fructose/ high sugar. Yeah... It really sucks. High quantities of Corn also make my stomach very uncOmfortable. I can have a little but not munch on more than 1/4 cup of Corn-based Cereal

Corn, soy, nightshades (tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, peppers), legumes (all dried or fresh beans/peas/lentils), citrus. Can now do lactose again and one slice of bread made with some potato starch every four days (I finally got to try Udi's!!)

I reacted to all sorts of things. It was really hard to figure out what was going on. The list of things that I might be intolerant to got longer and longer. The reactions felt the same as my gluten reaction. Finally I realized that it was all gluten, just vey tiny amounts. If I sourced my foods more carefully I was able to tolerate all the things that I had thought I might be intolerant to. I'm a big gardener now. It is something to consider.

I had a food intolerance blood test done 2 years ago, it came back with 45 different things. Certain spices and herbs, almost all grains (except 3), all dairy (including casien and goat), whole eggs, and a few here and there things. I did better excluding them. Then I started again eating 'normal' got ill and continued until the celiac test. Now I'm back to them especially since I was diagniosed with celiac. The major ones are grains, dairy, eggs and gluten.

I've learned that I can't have dairy.. hoping to never add another to that list.. Two's bad enough.. I already miss cheese! (dairy free since Sat, but had some cheese on lunch yesterday and regret it now. It makes me bloated with gassy feelings.. can't sleep) It's actually what made me think I have Celiac instead of just a gluten intolerance.

Eggs and almonds both IGG delayed reactions. I plan on getting tested every 6 mo or at least once a year from now on.

At first it seemed like everything except meat and seafood caused problems but after three years gluten-free, I've narrowed it down to fruit and alcohol. I've added fruit back in but I have to be very careful not to overdo it. I finally just gave up on alcohol so I haven't had a drop in over a year now.

I still have problems at times so I suspect this is going to be an ongoing process.

Gluten and corn so far (I think). I don't know about soy yet because I haven't touched any since June 5th. I seemed to have a D reaction the last couple of times I ate yams. I have been eating cheese without any apparent problems. Eggs too.

All in all, I don't really know yet. :huh:

I am intolerant of all grains, all milk & dairy products (including casein and whey), egg whites, yeast, maltodextrin & modified food starch. So, I am able to eat meat, fruits & vegetables.

Something to consider: I am lucky enough to have a Chiropractor/Nutritionist/Wellness clinic very near to me. They do everything from detox to physical therapy to counseling to acupuncture to nutrition evals etc. They claim they can "heal the total body" and they are amazing!!! The nutritionist (NOT a dietian, sooooooo much more) at this specific office can do a blood test that literally tests your blood to see how it reacts with 300 different allergens and known irritants (from mustard to gluten to diary to mushrooms etc). He also has several techniques to healing and recovering a body from a storm of autoimmune and allergen reactions. I've always believed that when you are exposed to something you react to for too long your body starts to think other things are trying to attack it as well. Most of the celiac people i know in person seem to suffer more with other irritants/allergens if it took longer to be diagnosed. Consider a detox/cleanse monitored by a chiropractor or nutritonist. Also consider a plain whole food/organic diet for a few months to see if you can calm your body down. Perhaps things you react to now may go away/heal with the right diet and nutrients.

My official allergies are: soy, dairy, potatoes, egg yolks and egg whites, chicken, some legumes, sugarcane, and coffee.

I dropped them all, and since then, I get noticeably sick with all of them, no matter the source, so far.

On top of that, all grains make me ill, especially corn. However, since going gluten-free, I've discovered I'm super sensitive like DilettanteSteph, so I'm a unsure if it is the grains themselves, or gluten cc. I am growing some of them, like the corn, in my own yard so I can determine whether the food itself or gluten cc is the problem.

I highly suspect I react to certain pesticides too, as I have started to have headaches and a few other issues with some fruits and vegetables that are typically grown with a high pesticide load. These are not my normal gluten reactions, and they don't happen if I grow the food in my own backyard, so I'm guessing it has to be something added to the plant during the farming process, you know?

Oh, and I will say - a dietician helped me quite a bit, but she was the second one I tried. The first was sweet, but not very useful. If you find one, you'll want one who is well versed in allergies and the food industry, so she'll know what you need to avoid to truly eliminate something.

Some examples: Dairy is added to latex products. White rice is often polished with corn products. Baking powder can contain potato starch. Salt has anti-caking agents.

If you don't have a dietician who knows these types of things, you won't get as much help as you should.

Cheese is another product that may have corn. Some companies dust their blocks of cheddar with corn starch.