KP44

Odds, My Father Has Celiac, What Are Chances My Future Kid Gets It?

Rate this topic

My dad has celiac, I am currently in my 20s and do not have it, or any signs of it. I was just wondering for me and my future spouse, what the chances are if any that my son or daughter will have celiac?

Welcome to the forum! If your father has celiac, your risk and your future children's risk is definitely greater. Check out these fact sheets from the U of Chicago Celiac Disease Center.

I do not have celiac though thankfully, I was just wondering about the chances of my future kids having it.

Dear KP,

I am very happy for you that you don't currently have the disease. May I ask, did you do genetic testing? If you had the genetic tests and know whether or not you carry your father's celiac gene, you can then have a better idea of your future risk and also potential risk for your future children (at least with respect to your contribution! :D )

For instance, even though I don't have my gene test back yet, we got my husbands results, and he is DQ2/DQ2, the strongest genetic profile for the disease. We have 2 daughters, and all the poor guy had available to give were DQ2s, so that means, independent of my genetic results, I already know that both girls carry at least 1 high risk gene.

If you get genetic testing done (assuming you haven't already) you will also find out whether or not you are at increased risk for developing the disease at some point in life, and can make personal lifestyle choices in an informed manner, such as regular screening, etc.

We decided after receiving my husband's results to begin living gluten free even though his antibody tests were all normal, because of his elevated risk, his strong family history of gastric cancers, related autoimmune diseases, and his own pretty severe symptoms.

He is feeling amazing symptom relief and we figured, better an ounce of prevention now than a pound of cure later.

Take care of yourself!

I do not have celiac though thankfully, I was just wondering about the chances of my future kids having it.

Thankfully you don't have it! Although if I had to choose a disease, this is a pretty good one to have.

Since your father has it, it definitely increases your chance of getting it some time in your lifetime...like a 1 in 22 chance. I think my late mother had it (undiagnosed), I have it and my adult daughter was diagnosed in Aug., 2010.

I haven't had any genetic test, and I am 24 with no signs. I would probably be interested at some point in getting a genetic test, for I can see if I carry..which I probably do, then I'll have to pull out my highschool biology skills with punnet squares lol

I haven't had any genetic test, and I am 24 with no signs. I would probably be interested at some point in getting a genetic test, for I can see if I carry..which I probably do, then I'll have to pull out my highschool biology skills with punnet squares lol

Unfortunately just because you don't have symptoms doesn't mean you don't have celiac disease. Some people are "silent celiacs", totally asymptomatic. Also there are over 300 symptoms of celiac disease, so you just never know. You may want to at least have a genetic test to find out for sure.

Well lets say I dont have it like I assume..what are the odds of my kid having it?

If you received the gene from a parent, you can pass it to a child. These are genes you can have but, unless they " activate", you can be disease free.

All the experts say that ALL first-degree relatives of somebody with celiac should have the blood test for the disease. Whether you have symptoms or not.

richard