This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bingeing Before Biopsy

lucky28

lucky28 Explorer

I'm down to my last 12 days before my biopsy. (blood work came back positive ttg and DQ2 positive (2.5 variant) last month. I have had years of "IBS-D" which has gotten much worse in the last year and a half. I also have been consistently Vit. D deficient for the last few years as well as other sx that might be too long to list. Well I had the bright idea to go on a gluten binge -clearing the cabinets. (I plan on going gluten-free the day of my biopsy) Up until the last year or so I was always a motivated, upbeat person, this has slowly, insidiously been changing, but boy oh boy has it really changed in the last few weeks! I have been so extremely exhausted I feel like I can barely function! I'm trying to continue eating gluten until my biopsy because I would prefer to have an "official" diagnosis that I could in turn use to persuade some of my immediate family to also get tested (son, brother and sister), but I don't know if I can. Does anyone know what the least amount of gluten I can eat and have it not affect the biopsy?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

3 to 4 slices of bread a day is thought to be enough. You will still have a risk of a false negative on the biopsy so glad to hear you are planning on doing the diet. That really is the best test there is.

Fairy Dancer Contributor

I am having blood tests for gluten next week and am in a similar position. I want to rule out celiac disease (because I have a brother with it) although I personally am beginning to suspect a mild to moderate wheat allergy. For the blood tests though I am supposed to keep eating gluten. However I feel so bad after eating wheat and I get such a painful stomach I really don't want to consume it at all at the moment.

If I talk to people about a possible wheat allergy though they seem to expect me to burst out in hives or go into shock, but I know from past experience with allergies they do not always manifest that way. I have an allergy to duck feathers (diagnosed with proper medical testing many years ago) but had been sleeping with a duck feather duvet and pillows at the time without realising that I was reacting to them. I merely woke up every morning feeling like I had been hit by a ten ton truck in my sleep...which is pretty much how I feel these days when I eat a lot of wheat along with other symptoms such as acid reflux, dizziness, vertigo, stomach pain and diarrhoea. Also a constantly stuffy nose and sore itchy eyes so I am wondering about other allergies as well lol.

I have heard that 4 pieces of bread is the amount the recommend although I struggle to eat that much bread normally as I don't really like the stuff all that much. I am a potato, meat, veg, fruit and nuts person but I started eating more wholegrain pasta and bread over the years because it is supposed to be healthy for you...

Thing is is that I don't think that so called healthy wholegrain stuff is really agreeing with me as the more of it I eat the worse I feel!

violentlyserene Rookie

I'm down to my last 12 days before my biopsy. (blood work came back positive ttg and DQ2 positive (2.5 variant) last month. I have had years of "IBS-D" which has gotten much worse in the last year and a half. I also have been consistently Vit. D deficient for the last few years as well as other sx that might be too long to list. Well I had the bright idea to go on a gluten binge -clearing the cabinets. (I plan on going gluten-free the day of my biopsy) Up until the last year or so I was always a motivated, upbeat person, this has slowly, insidiously been changing, but boy oh boy has it really changed in the last few weeks! I have been so extremely exhausted I feel like I can barely function! I'm trying to continue eating gluten until my biopsy because I would prefer to have an "official" diagnosis that I could in turn use to persuade some of my immediate family to also get tested (son, brother and sister), but I don't know if I can. Does anyone know what the least amount of gluten I can eat and have it not affect the biopsy?

I'm in a similar situation. Sliced bread isn't something I eat generally so I've been making a point to find the gluteny things I like and have what seems like an equivalent amount of those instead of bread. Ikea meatballs and maybe Ihop biscuits and gravy are the last things on my list. There's stuff I make at home of course but I'm satisfied with just being able to use different ingredients for those. At least it means I can justify the breadmaker I've wanted for a while! Eventually I'd like a kitchenaid too.

love2travel Mentor

When I had my gluten challenge admittedly I enjoyed it thoroughly because I had no obvious glutening symtoms. So, I actually drew up a list of what to have for the last time and it included about 90 things! Some were:

- Steak and Ale Pie (with puff pastry crust)

- Chicken and Dumplings

- Chicken and Leek Pie

- phyllo pastry

- croissant

- doughnut

- lots of pizza

- ciabatta and other breads

- buns including cinnamon buns

- scones

- biscuits

- English muffin

- lots of homemade pasta

- Beef Wellington

- Triscuit crackers

- flatbreads

- profiteroles

- homemade things containing durum, semolina, kamut

- Beef and Barley Soup

- barley risotto

And the list goes on but I did have a lot of stuff in addition to bread.

I was told I must eat the equivalent of four pieces of bread a day for at least three months.

Archived