CourtneyLee

Bright Red Blood In My Stool

Rate this topic

So I've been gluten free for almost 8 months, and my symptoms (stomach pains, Diarrhea, etc) went away. Around 3 weeks ago they started to come back, and as of 2 days ago, there has been bright red blood in my stool, partnered with horrible sharp pains in my stomach.

I'm going to a nutritionist in a few weeks because my mum rang the Coeliac Society and they said it sounded like I had a food allergy.

What do you guys think?

So I've been gluten free for almost 8 months, and my symptoms (stomach pains, Diarrhea, etc) went away. Around 3 weeks ago they started to come back, and as of 2 days ago, there has been bright red blood in my stool, partnered with horrible sharp pains in my stomach.

I'm going to a nutritionist in a few weeks because my mum rang the Coeliac Society and they said it sounded like I had a food allergy.

What do you guys think?

It could be several things. If this continues, I would see a doctor promptly. I don't think that bright red in your stool could be a food allergy.

Sometimes when I am a bit constipated, I get stomach pains, my stools are hard and I get some bleeding. (sorry to be so personal... :blink: )

"Usually," bright red blood is a result of internal or external hemorrhoids. If the color were black, then we're talking about the stomach or small intestine having something very wrong with them. You should still get the stomach pains checked out...and you can always ask for a stool test.

"Usually," bright red blood is a result of internal or external hemorrhoids. If the color were black, then we're talking about the stomach or small intestine having something very wrong with them. You should still get the stomach pains checked out...and you can always ask for a stool test.

Agreed! :)

Don't pass this off as a hemorrhoid problem. I had this problem and passed it off as hemorrhoids. I'm a self diagnosed Celiac and stopped eating gluten in September 2010 however I was still having symptoms including passing mucous and passing blood. It would be in my stool and in the mucous. I finally caved and went to a doctor because I couldn't ignore it anymore however he did nothing nor did he listen to me. Then I went to a gastroenterologist in January. I had (or thought I had) a rare genetic blood disease so he wanted me to see a hematologist because he was going to do an upper endoscopy and because of my age do a colonoscopy. He was mostly going to do the biopsies because of the Celiac and because of my GERD. I didn't have anything unusual on the upper GI--just a stomach polyp due to my years of using Tums and antacids. My colon was clean as a whistle with the exception of a HUGE tumor in my rectal area, just 2cm above the anal verge. It took three procedures to take out the polyp/tumor and thank God it was all benign but he was unable to get the stalk out and now I have to go in for major risky surgery to get the rest out. Don't wait or mess with this. I'm so well now you cannot believe it. I haven't had any GERD since then and I just think my body couldn't digest food properly and it backed up. The tumor was so large it effected other organs too. Don't wait. Go find out for sure that it is only hemorrhoids. Do not just assume.

The previous responders have given good advice. It could be as simple as hemorrhoids, but it could be something much more serious. See a doctor as soon as you can.