This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Coconut Flour Cooking

Krystalcatt

Krystalcatt Newbie

Hi;

I was going thru numerous topics and threads here and came across someone who was talking about coconut flour. I need to avoid gluten (etc) dairy, eggs and a lot of other flours. Buckwheat, rice, teff and armantha are ok. I use coconut milk.

But I was wondering if A) anyone has ever cooked anything with coconut flour, B) how is it used best and C) what are a few easy recipes for it.

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

love2travel Mentor

Hi;

I was going thru numerous topics and threads here and came across someone who was talking about coconut flour. I need to avoid gluten (etc) dairy, eggs and a lot of other flours. Buckwheat, rice, teff and armantha are ok. I use coconut milk.

But I was wondering if A) anyone has ever cooked anything with coconut flour, B) how is it used best and C) what are a few easy recipes for it.

Thanks

I bake with coconut flour regularly as I like the flavour and texture it gives to baked goods such as cakes, cookies and brownies. One of my favourites is Coconut Layer Cake with Coconut Buttercream (it seriously is an easy recipe which makes lovely cupcakes, as is the one for Brownies)...

Open Original Shared Link

Brownies...Open Original Shared Link

Marilyn R Community Regular

You might like almond flour even better! I'm loving it so far, just received it last week (via Nutsonline.com) and I'm digging into Elana Amsterdam's "Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook". (Note: Bob's Mill Almond Flour won't work for her recipes, according to the cookbook.

I love it because you don't need gar gum or xanthum gum or a mix of other stuff. It's pure and simple. She favors grape seed oil and agave syrup over regular oils and honey or sugar, but everything has been delightful so far.

(I bit the bullet and bought the grape seed oil, even though I thought extra light olive oil would be good.)

love2travel Mentor

Almond flour is rather wonderful, isn't it? It is actually what is in the brownie recipe above (don't ask me why I was thinking coconut flour in that one!). Can I blame it on celiac or fibro fog? :P

Coconut macaroons are nice with some coconut flour, too. I have 19 kinds of flours/starches in my freezers at last count. A little extreme perhaps? :lol:

Krystalcatt Newbie

Hi;

Thanks for the info. Doesn't sound like there's much for coconut flour (I can't have almonds, so that makes almond flour out....)

BUT I did check out the cake. Sounds perfect. Actually have company coming soon and I think if I can get the flour in time. I wonder if coconut flour is a type that needs to be mixed with other flours. And for the eggs in the cake I think I can use applesauce. (can't have eggs either)

Thanks again.

love2travel Mentor

Hi;

Thanks for the info. Doesn't sound like there's much for coconut flour (I can't have almonds, so that makes almond flour out....)

BUT I did check out the cake. Sounds perfect. Actually have company coming soon and I think if I can get the flour in time. I wonder if coconut flour is a type that needs to be mixed with other flours. And for the eggs in the cake I think I can use applesauce. (can't have eggs either)

Thanks again.

Oh, there is tons you can do with coconut flour! I add it to lots of my baking. It definitely does need to be mixed with other flours - some flours are used for browning, some texture, some flavour and so on. It would not stand alone in most recipes as it needs more structure. Do you want more coconut flour recipes?

gluten-free egg substitutes here...

Krystalcatt Newbie

Oh, there is tons you can do with coconut flour! I add it to lots of my baking. It definitely does need to be mixed with other flours - some flours are used for browning, some texture, some flavour and so on. It would not stand alone in most recipes as it needs more structure. Do you want more coconut flour recipes?

gluten-free egg substitutes here...

Yes, I would like to know what to do with coconut flour. I bought it. Along with Tapico and teff flour today. Seems I'm collecting flours. (maybe I should be collecting the other flowers!) Don't know why, I'm not a baker.

Thank you very much for the egg substitutes. I was going to guess with the applesauce in the cake idea.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

love2travel Mentor

Perhaps now you will enjoy baking! This is another good (vegan) recipe using coconut flour (vanilla cupcakes):

Will post more when I have time.

Archived