This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Awareness - How Did Europe Do It?

Nevadan

Nevadan Contributor

The issue of making people (docs, sufferers, family, friends, etc) aware of gluten sensitivities is obviously a very difficult one. From what I read some of the major countries in Europe appear have instilled considerably more awareness than here in the US. I keep hearing the statistic regarding how much quicker celiac disease is diagnosed in Europe than here. Maybe we could learn something from the Europeans. What has helped create the awareness in Europe, particularly the Scandinavian countries, Ireland, and Italy? It would be interesting to hear some comments from someone with first hand experience.

George

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Misa Rookie

Hi George

Could the quick diagnoses be because we have public health (no private health insurance) and so therefore doctors can include the gluten test amongst many others at an early stage........no one will question her/him for this??

Also, allergy symptoms among children in Norway seem to have exploded the last few years. I'm under the impression these children are automatically tested for lactose/gluten allergy, especially if digestive upset is present.

I think older generations are being made aware of celiac disease through todays children (in their circle of friends and family) being diagnosed. In the six weeks I've been gluten-free, I have yet to explain what it is......everyone, everywhere, just seem to know even though it's not talked about on a daily basis here. General allergies are talked about though, since it has become so common lately and there is speculation as to why this is so......

Hmmm, I see I haven't answered your post with an indepth view so hopefully more will jump in on this topic :D

Misa :)

tarnalberry Community Regular

I think it's a combination of a number of things, including:

* it was discovered in Ireland

* public health care systems aren't dependent upon pharmaceutical company handouts/lecturing

* Europeans generally eat a more natural diet (at least, until recently) than Americans

ianm Apprentice

The American medical system is profit driven. Since most other countries have taxpayer funded healthcare there is more incentive to treat the problem at the source. In America it is more profitable to prescribe pills that mask the symptoms and unprofitable to actually make the patient healthy.

Guest zipy

oooh, I agree with that last statement! Since my dx, both my husband and I have questioned the motives of our healthcare system and all those drug ads you see on tv for belly/bowl problems.

Archived