JessB

Lay's Potato Chips And Yeast Extract

Rate this topic

So I have been avoiding any products with yeast extract in them for months and months after getting sick from it (thanks a lot, taco seasoning!), which means that I haven't enjoyed any flavored chips from Lay's for quite some time. Then I looked on their website today and they list all these chips that I've been avoiding as gluten-free! What the french toast, I say! So I called them, and a nice young man by the name of Juan gives me their definition of yeast extract, which includes that their sources include brewer's yeast and they never know which one they're using.....eh?! How on earth does that mean that they're gluten-free?! I was exited for half a minute there until Juan quashed my dreams. Anyone else think this is ridiculous?

Thanks for the information. Do you have problems with the kettle lays chips as well? On the bag it even reads "GLUTEN FREE"

I think yeast extract is gluten free. However, someone has told me it is another name for MSG or something similar. We should probably look that up. MSG is gluten free but lots of people who happily eat wheat can't handle the MSG.

Found lots of web site telling the evils of MSG but I don't know how reliable they are. This seems to be a site promoting MSG use in foods. The glutamate-rich additives seem to be not exactly MSG but a close relative. Just because it sounds a bit like gluten it is not.

http://www.msgfacts.com/about_glutamate/msg_basics.aspx

The FDA requires packaged foods to list every ingredient used so, by looking on the ingredient panel, you will be able to identify those products that use MSG seasoning.

In addition to MSG, there are other seasonings and ingredients that contain free glutamate which are also used widely. Soy sauce, hydrolyzed vegetable protein (HVP) and yeast extracts are all glutamate-rich seasonings. When used in small amounts, all of these ingredients significantly enhance the overall taste balance of the foods to which they are added. To determine whether packaged food contains these glutamate-rich ingredients, all you need to do is look on the ingredient panel.

I've always found yeast extract to be gluten-free.

richard

Yeast extract is gluten-free. However, you may also be sensitive to yeast extract in addition to gluten. I avoid anything processed with yeast extract in it for this reason. I seem to be fine with yeast now when I bake with it but I can't do yeast extract--it causes bloating for me. HTH!