This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Oatmeal-Reactions From Just Handling It?

shayre

shayre Enthusiast

I have made my whole household gluten free. However, I have not made my family give up oatmeal. They eat it everyday. I cannot tolerate oatmeal, whether it's from cross contamination or just the oats. Do you think that I could get issues from just serving them oatmeal? I buy 2 different kinds (Fit Kids and 365 brand) of the single packets for my kids. None of them have gluten on the ingredients of course. For my hubby, I buy the single packets of gluten-free oatmeal (GlutenFreeda) and combine it with oatmeal from a large tub of Kroger brand or Quaker instant oats. They just have "rolled oats" on the ingredients. I can't help but to be nervous about it, but I keep thinking that there is just no way. Should I be concerned? I am discovering that I'm very sensitive to cross-contamination. Maybe someone else sensitive does or does not react?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

What is your method of washing the oatmeal bowls after they eat it? And do you wash your hands really good after you handle the bowls? For a while, our house was gluten-free except for my husband's oatmeal. We know for sure that he glutened me a few times by kissing me after eating it. We also had trouble with the bowls getting washed in the sink with other dishes. We eventually got some bowls that were slightly different from our set JUST for his oatmeal, so I would know to never use those bowls even if they were clean. And then we set up the protocall for washing: He had to wash his own bowl and spool by hand after use and then put the dirty wash cloth directly into the washing machine so it didn't get used for any other dishes (and I didn't pick it up). This worked pretty well when he remembered every step, but I still got glutened a few times, usually we he was in a rush to get out the door and I had to pick up his bowl and put it in the sink or dishwasher. We have now eliminated oats from our house completely (I am even sensitive to the gluten-free kind so getting those won't work).

beebs Enthusiast

I dunno what its like where you are, but here in Australia our Coeliac society say that Oats cannot be guaranteed gluten free and to not eat them ever. Its to do with the growing and storing of oats and wheat together etc. I would get rid of the oats - its amazing how quickly people adjust to rolled rice porridge. Or lately I have been making a rice breakfast. I just put 1 cup of abborio rice, two cups chopped apples, half a cup desiccated coconut and 1 cup of sultanas (I think in the US they are called Raisins??) and 3 cups of boiling water, chuck it all in the rice cooker and there you have a gluten free, filling and nourishing (sugar free) breakfast....I add milk in at the end.

cap6 Enthusiast

My two gluten eaters have one kitchen counter that is theirs to use. If they have gluten (and really there is very little in the house) they leave the toaster or plate on their counter for me to clean up. I prefer that so that I know the space is clean - my way! :)

Gemini Experienced

I have made my whole household gluten free. However, I have not made my family give up oatmeal. They eat it everyday. I cannot tolerate oatmeal, whether it's from cross contamination or just the oats. Do you think that I could get issues from just serving them oatmeal? I buy 2 different kinds (Fit Kids and 365 brand) of the single packets for my kids. None of them have gluten on the ingredients of course. For my hubby, I buy the single packets of gluten-free oatmeal (GlutenFreeda) and combine it with oatmeal from a large tub of Kroger brand or Quaker instant oats. They just have "rolled oats" on the ingredients. I can't help but to be nervous about it, but I keep thinking that there is just no way. Should I be concerned? I am discovering that I'm very sensitive to cross-contamination. Maybe someone else sensitive does or does not react?

Unless you ingest the oatmeal, there should not be any problems with you serving your family oatmeal. I serve my husband some non-gluten-free foods and have no issues and I am very, very sensitive. Oatmeal is not flour and doesn't become airborne, unless you throw it at someone. :lol: You just have to adopt some safe practices like washing your hands after so you don't accidentally ingest some that way. If your dishes are stoneware or other non-porous type, then wash well with soap and water after they are through and you are good to go. I don't think being very sensitive has much to do with it if you practice good habits in food handling. I would not handle wheat flour for obvious reasons but many other foods can be handled safely.

I would let them keep the oatmeal as you have made everything else gluten free. I know it can take awhile for some to become comfortable with the gluten-free lifestyle but you do not want to become fearful of being around gluten filled foods. They are everywhere but we can co-exist without becoming ill.

Another solution would be to buy gluten-free oats for them. At least you would have the knowledge that there would be no CC from gluten during manufacturing. Many good companies out there test and have perfectly safe oats for Celiacs who are not sensitive to the oat protein. However, they are pricey. I can tolerate gluten-free oats very well but I ate a lot of oatmeal pre-diagnosis and am used to a lot of fiber. For some people, it's the fiber which causes a problem.

Gemini Experienced

I dunno what its like where you are, but here in Australia our Coeliac society say that Oats cannot be guaranteed gluten free and to not eat them ever. Its to do with the growing and storing of oats and wheat together etc. I would get rid of the oats - its amazing how quickly people adjust to rolled rice porridge. Or lately I have been making a rice breakfast. I just put 1 cup of abborio rice, two cups chopped apples, half a cup desiccated coconut and 1 cup of sultanas (I think in the US they are called Raisins??) and 3 cups of boiling water, chuck it all in the rice cooker and there you have a gluten free, filling and nourishing (sugar free) breakfast....I add milk in at the end.

Certified gluten-free oats are safe for many, many Celiacs. They are grown and harvested in dedicated fields and manufactured in gluten-free facilities. I don't see how you can make something any more gluten-free than this.

There will always be a difference of opinion in the medical field over this issue but if I can eat them and not react, and heal as well as I have over the past 6 years, I consider that a slam dunk for being able to tolerate them well. I know many other Celiacs who do so also.

Open Original Shared Link

dilettantesteph Collaborator

We were unable to even have gluten in the house. Long after I stopped serving it I was still sick. We had dedicated counters and took all sorts of care. I didn't even put the gluten dishes in the dishwasher. We still couldn't get better until we made the household gluten free.

It depends on your degree of sensitivity. Most can serve oatmeal or gluten containing items. Some of us can't be near them. You have to ingest it, but when you are talking about tiny amounts it has a way of getting in somehow. Don't ask me how. Those of us who are sensitive to the lowest levels can have problems.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived