This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

First Sleepover

come dance with me

come dance with me Enthusiast

We have a child sleeping over with a regular diet but I need to make something that's gluten free and vegan that a child with a regular diet would like to eat as well.

I was thinking maybe a stir-fry but I'm not sure. The child is 8 the same as mine.

Also what do I feed them for breakfast? I have afternoon tea for saturday and morning tea for sunday sorted because they both love fruit.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

melikamaui Explorer

Our favorite go-to dinner that everyone enjoys is a black bean and rice salad. Lettuce, beans, rice, salsa with tomatoes and avocado. I haven't found anyone who turns their nose up at it yet. For breakfast what about some gluten-free waffles, pancakes or fruit with toast?

Claire-Nicolle Newbie

I think a stir-fry would be good. When my son and daughter (twins with celiac) we have stir-fries and you could also try some of those packaged fries that you bake in the oven, I think some of them are gluten-free. You could also try some salads.

domesticactivist Collaborator

I think your own kid's favorites are the best place to start.

Mizzo Enthusiast

I would keep it simple and easy for kids

Grilled cheese sandwiches with french fries will work for everyone

Spaghetti with sauce. Ancient Harvest makes a nice thin gluten-free spaghetti. You could garlic toast some bagels with it.

Veggie burgers are there any gluten-free ones that would be good on a roll with fries etc....

When my 8 yr old goes to our vegetarian friends(they are Indian) house for dinner she always has Rice, hard boiled eggs, cucumber and carrots. My dd does not like a lot of veggies so we keep it real simple for her. It's not about the food it's about the sleepover so don't fret too much.

Cereal , pancakes or muffins for breakfast is always easy.

good luck

We live in a rural area so none of our cheese is ok except that plastic soy stuff that snaps when you try to seperate each slice. It tastes like plastic too. The other little one won't eat cereal so I'll try for pancakes for her.

shadowicewolf Proficient

could you do a gluten free, vegan pizza? That might work, most kids love pizza.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliebove Rising Star

My daughter won't eat stir fries or black beans. But she will eat most other beans. A favorite food of hers is just pasta (any kind) with tomato sauce. With that I would serve a salad with kidney and/or garbanzo beans on top for protein.

Or a pasta salad. For that I use large shapes of tri-colored pasta, cooked and cooled. Toss with baby carrots, celery slices, radish slices, bell pepper chunks, sliced green olives, sliced cucumbers, cherry or grape tomatoes, black olive, kidney and garbanzo beans. Dress with Italian dressing. I add stuffed green olives to my portion. Daughter won't eat them. You can also add broccoli and cauliflower florets or really any raw veggie that the kids will eat.

I would probably do pancakes for breakfast. I've had some kind of a mix (can't remember the brand) that has instructions for vegan pancakes by adding rice or soy milk and applesauce. Or you could do zucchini bread. I use the recipe in the recipe section of this site subbing in flax meal and water for the eggs. I bake them in cupcake cups.

Keela Newbie

I agree with pancakes or waffles for breakfast. You could do a vegan chili over French fries or a baked potato, throw the chili together in a Crockpot so you don't have to stand over a stove all day.Also any kind of pasta with a tomato sauce would be fun...

Any time I had a friend over when I was little my mom would let us make a dessert. I never really cared what we were eating because I was so excited for the dessert my friend and I made.

It was her birthday party yesterday so they had mini pizzas there for lunch. Her mum brought a tub of yoghurt for her to have because she's really picky. We stuck with salad for tea last night. Was easy and met all requirements.

Archived