This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Wisconsin Celiacs Unite!

frenchiemama

gfmolly Contributor
Hi-

I was wondering if any of the Wisconsinites went to any of the support groups? And if so, how they were/what they were like? (I'm new at this). thx

Hi,

I just joined the Milwaukee "Sprue Crew" but haven't been to a meeting yet. I am totally new, too. In the newsletter it had info on a bread company that you could purchase bread from at discount prices and pick-up at the meeting. I just haven't had the time to go to a meeting. Anyone else?

Terri

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
somegirl2004 Newbie
Hi-

I was wondering if any of the Wisconsinites went to any of the support groups? And if so, how they were/what they were like? (I'm new at this). thx

Hey! I'm a member of the "Madison Area Gluten Intolerance Chapter" (MAGIC). I haven't actually gone to any of the meetings, but they send out monthly newsletters which are pretty awesome. They have recipes, product updates, tips, and medical information. I know the Fox Valley Celiacs also have a newsletter (my mom is a member), so I'd think the rest of the groups in the state would have them too. I definitely recommend it though. And maybe I'll find time to actually go to a meeting! ;)

-- Erin

JoJo23 Newbie

I just found out that the U-Bake store on La Crosse's south side carries Grandma Ferdon's frozen and dry products. I emailed the owner and she sent me a list of all the products with prices. Evidently they hope to carry Kinnekinnick foods in the near future too. Their website is www.ubakelacrosse.com

Kody

• 1 month later...
Sonjuska Newbie

I'm living in Finland, Northern Europe and travelling to Appleton, WI next week for 5 days :)

Can you help me to find gluten free food, especially (fresh) bread?

Or gluten free tortilla - we don't have those in Finland.

All other tips are welcome too, never been in USA before!

-Sonja

bluejeangirl Contributor
I'm living in Finland, Northern Europe and travelling to Appleton, WI next week for 5 days :)

Can you help me to find gluten free food, especially (fresh) bread?

Or gluten free tortilla - we don't have those in Finland.

All other tips are welcome too, never been in USA before!

-Sonja

Sonja,

I haven't been there yet but there is Barbara's Pantry 1525 W. Wisconsin Ave. Appleton, WI 54914

She makes Gluten free breads, muffins, quick breads, jelly rolls, cookies, egg noodles, and salads.

I have her pamplet from a meeting I was at and didn't get the chance to go there yet since I'm about an hour away.

I think there's a health food store in the area to that might be worth going to. Good luck and welcome to our area.

Gail

Sonjuska Newbie
Sonja,

I haven't been there yet but there is Barbara's Pantry 1525 W. Wisconsin Ave. Appleton, WI 54914

Thanks Gail :D

Acersma Rookie

I live in Little Chute WI. I just started Gluten Free yesterday! I am glad I found this thread. Especially the previous one. My parents spend most of their summers in Hayward, which is where someone mentioned a Grandma Ferdons. I will be looking for places to shop this weekend. right now I am surviving on popcorn, applesauce, eggs, cheese and chicken and tonight a baked potatoe. Payday is friday and off shopping. I am right outside of Appleton and very close to Green Bay.

Jody

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 6 months later...
GF-Caryl Newbie

Hello,

I hope I am doing this right - I just joined a few minutes ago (though I've been reading the forums for about a year now! I was diagnosed in October 2006)

I am from Racine - anyone else from Racine? I've read here about the Gluten-Free Trading Company in Milwaukee, and have been there a few times - it's fun to go into a place that is entirely gluten-free!

I also shop at Molbeck's (they will be moving their store on Feb. 1-2 into the West Racine area) and at the new U-Bake across from Regency mall.

I've joined the Milwaukee SprueCrew just recently but have not yet been to a meeting (I understand they have them quarterly in Kenosha as well as Milwaukee - anyone here from Kenosha?)

If this has been posted incorrectly or in the wrong place, I apologize!

Caryl

bluejeangirl Contributor
Hello,

I hope I am doing this right - I just joined a few minutes ago (though I've been reading the forums for about a year now! I was diagnosed in October 2006)

I am from Racine - anyone else from Racine? I've read here about the Gluten-Free Trading Company in Milwaukee, and have been there a few times - it's fun to go into a place that is entirely gluten-free!

I also shop at Molbeck's (they will be moving their store on Feb. 1-2 into the West Racine area) and at the new U-Bake across from Regency mall.

I've joined the Milwaukee SprueCrew just recently but have not yet been to a meeting (I understand they have them quarterly in Kenosha as well as Milwaukee - anyone here from Kenosha?)

If this has been posted incorrectly or in the wrong place, I apologize!

Caryl

You posted it right and welcome to celiac.com. Please feel free to jump right in and share. Sounds like your doing all the right things already. We're a friendly bunch here so if you have any questions ask away.

Gail

GF-Caryl Newbie
You posted it right and welcome to celiac.com. Please feel free to jump right in and share. Sounds like your doing all the right things already. We're a friendly bunch here so if you have any questions ask away.

Gail

Thnkk you Gail! :) There is just so much information here I enjoy just reading, but I sure will ask if I have any questions! Thanks again.

• 1 year later...
TearzaRose Explorer

Hey! I'm new here , newly diagnosed, and I'm from Wisconsin! a little town right off I-94 between Madison and Milwaukee.

I'm heading to Pick N Save in Oconomowoc today to get some gluten free items. YAY!

foodiegurl Collaborator

I am in Kenosha, and new to this. Any help would be greatly appreciated =)

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

I'm north of Hudson. I love Fresh and Natural in Hudson for shopping for gluten free foods. They mark their price tags with red if it's gluten free. So there's no guessing or reading labels.

I'm adopting Grandma Ferdon and her family! Love their products. I have about 30 packages of her lefse stored in my freezer. They make excellent wraps for sandwiches. Her pizza crust is the best I've found.

Northland Celiac Support Group meets at 6:45pm at the Hudson Hospital on the third Tuesday of the month. I have attend yet. Contact Cheri Rott 715-531-6467 for more info.

sixtytwo Apprentice

It's hard when you live in a remote part of the state like I do............Conover, which is nearly all the way to the UP, by Land O Lakes. Fortunately a couple of the stores up here have Bob's Red Mill products which I like and I make due with cooking gluten-free otherwise. I shop for the other things when I go to Janesville pretty often. Restaurants are becomng so famliar with the situation, even up here, that it really is not a problem for me anymore. Maybe that is a nice thing about living in a small place, people know you so well, that they just are so kind that they make sure your food is gluten-free. One thing for sure, you must make it well known and stick up for yourself. It is a continual education process. Do all of your know about Biaggi's in Madison? They have a large gluten-free menu and really nice food and service---they feature Italian cuisine. Their gluten-free pasta is a spinach one and it is really good. Another good place to eat in Madison, actually it is Middleton------Imperial Gardens on University Avenue. They also will cook just about anything on their menu gluten-free and and serve you gluten-free soy sauce. The service there is really nice, too. Noodles Inc. has rice noodles---I LOVE that place and of course, there is Changs............their lettuce wraps are my favorite. Another good place is Flat Top Grill near Hilldale, you pick out your food and they will grill it for you and they are very aware of the gluten thing. Happy eating. Barbara

TearzaRose Explorer

sixty two-

thanks for all that great restaurant info!!! very good to know. :)

jaydensmommy Newbie

Hi! I'm also from Wisconsin. We are from Warrens. My family is from Janesville and they are bringing me up food from Basic's food store. Another food store we found was in Lacrosse. The people's food co-op. We were told last week that my 2 year old son has Celiac disease. We are having alot of trouble because he is a really picky eater. I see that they have a book to help with shopping does anyone use this? I didn't know if it is worth the money or not. If anyone has any advice that would be great! :D

• 2 weeks later...
FarmCat Newbie

Hi, fellow Wisconsinites! I'm in Kenosha, just like FoodieGurl. Gurl, have you found any local support groups yet? I have just barely begun to look.

I DID come across a store in Milwaukee called the Gluten-Free Trading Company. Their ENTIRE STORE is gluten-free, plus they mail-order. I remember reading that they also have a casein-free area. I don't have any direct experience with them yet, but I'll be making a trip there soon. Here's their link: Open Original Shared Link

foodiegurl Collaborator
Hi, fellow Wisconsinites! I'm in Kenosha, just like FoodieGurl. Gurl, have you found any local support groups yet? I have just barely begun to look.

I DID come across a store in Milwaukee called the Gluten-Free Trading Company. Their ENTIRE STORE is gluten-free, plus they mail-order. I remember reading that they also have a casein-free area. I don't have any direct experience with them yet, but I'll be making a trip there soon. Here's their link: Open Original Shared Link

Hi FarmCat..i just sent you a message =)

I am actually going to go check out that store next week sometime, thanks for the link. I did go to Whole Foods today in Northbrook and picked up tons of gluten-free pasta and cookies from the bakery :P

I have not found a local support group either. I though I found one, and emailed the contact and got a response saying they are no longer a group...oops.

Anne

TearzaRose Explorer

wow, that store looks awesome! .....just wish it wasn't 60 miles away! guess i'll have to shop online. thanks for posting the link.

:)

ranger Enthusiast
What city are you from? Any good Wisconsin gluten-free resources?

These posts made me homesick! I live in Ohio, now,but I went to Oshkosh high, my firstborn was born in Oconomowoc,, and I moved here from Lake Kegonsa ( near Stoughton, just south of Madison). I miss Wisconsin- I don't miss the weather! Have a great day. Part of my heart is still there! susan

TearzaRose Explorer
These posts made me homesick! I live in Ohio, now,but I went to Oshkosh high, my firstborn was born in Oconomowoc,, and I moved here from Lake Kegonsa ( near Stoughton, just south of Madison). I miss Wisconsin- I don't miss the weather! Have a great day. Part of my heart is still there! susan

I was born in Oconomowoc, too. :)

Wisconsin is a great state, despite the extremes in weather!

• 3 weeks later...
burkev Rookie

FYI:

I live in oconomowoc, work in madison and find that there is a bounty of options for gluten-free food in grocery stores and gluten-free restaurants.

Stores:

Whole foods has the largest selection...don't shop the gluten-free aisle only...lot's of choices in snacks , pastas, box brownie and corn bread mixes, frozen section plus their own bakehouse gluten-free items.

The best Whole Foods is east side milwaukee ...north ave. and prospect ave.....has largest store and largest selection / variety.

Woodmans....madison locations have just taken on a larger frozen bakery section...life beyond wheat from antigo, decent sized dry goods ie: all the Chebe mixes...some bulk gluten-free flours but should be available in Kenosha and Milwaukee.

Chebe is a great substitute for a an italian roll ...of course nothing beats an italian beef from tenutas in Kenosha or a nice baguette from paiellis...but chebe comes close , easy enough to make( I really miss a nice italian sausage from tenutas for the ride home...yum-o)

Natural Outpost foods....tosa and bayview locations...smaller variety but a bit of each , dry , frozen, bulk...excellent yougurt...Nancy's

Pick n' Save....very inconsistent.....I've been in five different PNS this past two weeks...no consistency in availability...even in the same city....one of their largest stores ...No gluten-free section at all ??

odd story here about PNS....I was eating at a Noodles in december and the teen girl taking my order said"oh...you too ...I'm celiac also" I asked her where she thought the best stores were for gluten-free was and she said "we go to whole foods a lot...even though my dad works for PNS ...he's a buyer for them " ???? odd..the largest grocer in metro milwaukee....smallest gluten-free section

can't remember the name of this one....There is a newer store at the strip center right behind the Gasthaus at Silvernail and Hwy. T in waukesha....just off the I-94 and hwy "t" exit...nice selection Grandma Ferdon's dry and frozen goods even has gluten-free chow mein noodles, good prices,on snack bars, pastas, spices and mixes.

Silly Yak bakery in madison is just about finished with their dedicated gluten-free bakery addition...so it won't be limited to just two gluten-free bake days per week....excellent product

My favorite bakery is Molly's gluten-free bakery in Pewaukee...closer to hartland actually.....located just a minute off Hwy. 16 and Jungbluth road in the basement ofa large former dairy barn....sharing space with a winery....pre- order is a good idea....pita style breads , excellent hamburger buns, TWINKIES, cupcakes, fruit bars , brownies, cookies and made to order birthday cakes...excellent pie crust or pizza crusts for the single person on the go......true to the bakeries of old though....sell outs are usually the case in the world of fresh baked goods

I'll post about restaurants later....gotta sleep nowwwwwwwwww. shalom , kevin

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

Just needed to check the "Enable email notification of replies" box.

• 1 month later...
labsr4me2 Rookie

Hello everyone,

I live in Delavan, WI. I have yet to be officially diagnosed. I did post some questions and my symptoms in the "pre diagnosed" section. If anyone feels like reading and helping with their advise. I would greatly appreciate it.

• 3 weeks later...
cheeztrain Newbie

Newly diagnosed Celiac In Madison here. Love this site excellent info.

Curt

Archived