This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Recipe Challenge!

Marc49

Marc49 Explorer

I have only had Udi's hot dog buns twice and grilled them both times. I had to because I knew that they would become very soggy otherwise. They are a decent vehicle for brats but I, too, am still hoping to come up with a better homemade alternative.

Then I guess steaming would not be a good choice to try?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

love2travel Mentor

Then I guess steaming would not be a good choice to try?

Though I have not tried it with gluten-free products (homemade or otherwise) I likely would not try steaming in this situation as you want to suck moisture out of the bun rather than increasing the moisture content. That is one of the reasons steamed buns (i.e. pork) are so soft and squishy!

As a fellow brat fan, have you tried steaming them in aromatics then finishing by grilling/roasting brats? It is an awesome technique - it really keeps the brats incredibly juicy and moist. But then we are so fortunate to have a local guy make fantastic (and believe me, I am very particular) juicy gluten-free brats. Roasted grapes, caramelized onions and homemade German mustard is one of my favourite ways to enjoy brats.

Marc49 Explorer

Though I have not tried it with gluten-free products (homemade or otherwise) I likely would not try steaming in this situation as you want to suck moisture out of the bun rather than increasing the moisture content. That is one of the reasons steamed buns (i.e. pork) are so soft and squishy!

As a fellow brat fan, have you tried steaming them in aromatics then finishing by grilling/roasting brats? It is an awesome technique - it really keeps the brats incredibly juicy and moist. But then we are so fortunate to have a local guy make fantastic (and believe me, I am very particular) juicy gluten-free brats. Roasted grapes, caramelized onions and homemade German mustard is one of my favourite ways to enjoy brats.

Yes,....I have done that many times, and I agree they are great!

The concoction I listed is something I do when I don't want to fire up the grill, and I really only started doing it more often after not being able to eat the old buns I used to eat them on.

I still have no issue eating a brat done like you mentioned on a plate with no bun. I love brats! :)

bbuster Explorer

I don't recall where I found this recipe, but it's the best I have tried. I also occasionally use the microwave bun recipe when short on time. Here goes:

HAMBURGER BUNS

3/4 c sorghum flour

1/4 c corn starch

1/2 c tapioca starch

1/8 c powdered milk

1 T sugar

1/2 T xanthan gum

1/2 T active dry yeast

1/2 t salt

2 eggs

1 T oil

1/2 t apple cider vinegar

2/3 c warm water

1 t unflavored gelatin

1. Preheat oven to 170F.

2. Combine dry ingredients.

3. In separate bowl beat egg and add oil, vinegar and water.

4. Add wet ingredients to dry and beat on high for 3 to 5 minutes.

5. Fill containers about

sa1937 Community Regular

One day this fall, I will most likely go back to eating normal for a couple of weeks and see if anything happens which is what the GI doc suggested. He says all I have is periodic IBS, which my mother also has. As before I don't know who to believe at this point! LOL

The good news is that if you don't have an issue with gluten, nothing will happen when you go back to it. Your body will let you know and probably rather quickly.

Marc49 Explorer

The good news is that if you don't have an issue with gluten, nothing will happen when you go back to it. Your body will let you know and probably rather quickly.

Sylvia,.....I didn't mean for this thread to turn into what it has BTW.

I see in your 'sig-line' that you have CONCLUSIVE proof of the disease. Obviously you are doing the correct thing, and will need to do that for the rest of your life.

You can surely understand my confusion though?

Being told two different things by two different doctors, with no real 'proof' other than I carry 2 genes. I am going to strip the results from my EnteroLab report once again at the end of this.

I DO still get bouts of GI issues even after going gluten-free, but they seem to be more infrequent. That is why I think the real test will be 'challenging' myself this fall. I can't take the chance right now in this heat due to the fact this is my busiest time of year in terms of what I do for a living.

I think highly of virtually everyone on this forum, and it is the best resource I have found. :)

"Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0302

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0502

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,1 (Subtype 8,5)

Interpretation Of HLA-DQ Testing: HLA-DQB1 gene analysis reveals that you have one of the main genes that predisposes to gluten sensitivity and celiac sprue, HLA-DQB1*0201 or HLA-DQB1*0302. Each of your offspring has a 50% chance of receiving this gene from you, and at least one of your parents passed it to you. You also have a non-celiac gene predisposing to gluten sensitivity (any DQ1, DQ2 not by HLA-DQB1*0201, or DQ3 not by HLA-DQB1*0302). Having one celiac gene and one gluten sensitive gene, means that each of your parents, and all of your children (if you have them) will possess at least one copy of a gluten sensitive gene. Having two copies also means there is an even stronger predisposition to gluten sensitivity than having one gene and the resultant immunologic gluten sensitivity or celiac disease may be more severe. This test was developed and its performance characteristics determined by the American Red Cross - Northeast Division. It has not been cleared or approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration."

sa1937 Community Regular

No problem whatever this thread turns into. :lol: Hopefully there'll be more recipes posted, too. LOL

I definitely had GI issues. The reason I went the whole nine yards with testing is that I knew my daughter had problems with gluten, too (at one time several years ago she saw a naturopathic doctor, who did the saliva test). I figured if I didn't take it seriously and get tested with both the blood test and endoscopy/biopsies, how would I expect her to take it seriously. I had the old celiac panel and was off-the-chart positive on both tTg and EMA so I went for the endoscopy. So yes, it was conclusive, which I was hoping it would be as it certainly explained my GI problems. I still have issues from time to time but overall feel pretty good.

In contrast my daughter had the newer DGP test and basically got the same results I did even though she ate gluten-light a good bit of the time. She skipped the endoscopy and went gluten-free after she got her test results late last Aug.

There is no doubt in my mind that my late mother had it also but was undiagnosed. If only we knew then what we know now about celiac. I am very grateful for this forum and also consider it the best resource I have found.

Yes, I can certainly see your confusion as the gene tests are inconclusive in predicting if someone will actually become celiac. I have no idea what my genes are or those of my daughter. She's also hypo-thyroid and anemic (not sure what the results are of her recent tests...hopefully improving). I don't blame you for waiting until fall to do your gluten challenge. It might be very revealing...or then again it might not. 'Tis such a mystery.

You might want to post a question on the Pre-Diagnosis section of the forum as some of the gurus who understand genes will be more likely to see it there.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ginsou Explorer

I just ordered King Arthur gluten free whole grain flour mix for bread. I'm presently located at an altitude of 7500 ft. and am anxious to try King Arthur. I've had fabulous luck with King Arthur, and yesterday made blueberry muffins with their muffin mix, and they were excellent.I'll make a smaller than normal bread loaf, and do a few hamburg buns.Hate to pay shipping, but this is not available in stores....yet.

freeatlast Collaborator

I just ordered King Arthur gluten free whole grain flour mix for bread. I'm presently located at an altitude of 7500 ft. and am anxious to try King Arthur. I've had fabulous luck with King Arthur, and yesterday made blueberry muffins with their muffin mix, and they were excellent.I'll make a smaller than normal bread loaf, and do a few hamburg buns.Hate to pay shipping, but this is not available in stores....yet.

Kroger carries it here, now.

sa1937 Community Regular

I have some of their regular gluten-free flour that I ordered from their website...but I haven't used it yet. They have a lot of gluten-free recipes online.

I made blueberry muffins yesterday, too, only used Pamela's Baking & Pancake Mix.

Ginsou Explorer

Kroger carries it here, now.

I'm one mile from a Kroger, and they do not carry this product here, so I did not mind ordering it via mail. I'm sure I could order it from Kroger, as they are carrying more and more products, but we will be leaving the area soon. A few days ago I wiped out their shelf supply of Pamela's Cornbread and Muffin mix....I now have enough to get me thru the coming winter.....I always stock up so I don't have to order on-line too often.

DMarie Apprentice

This is a recipe that my family has liked. It is from the Gluten-Free Homemaker's website (Open Original Shared Link). Actually - after searching for a good bun recipe, and then finding one that I actually liked, I have found that I prefer my hamburger sans bun now - I can better taste my hamburger and all of the fixings!

I have pasted the recipe below as well. I have found quite a few recipes that I like off of this website though. We love her recipe for Cinnamon Rolls!

Recipe: Focaccia Bread and Hamburger Buns

Ingredients

1 1/3 c. brown rice flour

2/3 c. sweet rice flour

1 c. tapioca starch

1 Tb. instant yeast

2 tsp. unflavored gelatin

1 Tb. xanthan gum

1/2 tsp. onion powder (optional)

1 1/2 tsp. salt

2 tsp. sugar or honey

1 – 1 1/4 c. warm water

4 eggs

1/4 c. olive oil

1 tsp. vinegar

olive oil

Italian seasoning

coarse salt

Instructions

Mix the wet ingredients together in the bowl of your mixer using 1 cup of the water.

Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.

Add the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl and beat for 2 minutes. Add more water if it is too dry. The dough should be very soft and sticky.

Transfer the dough to whatever pan you are using. This recipe will fill a large cookie sheet.

Let it rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.

Brush the top of the dough with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and Italian seasoning.

Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes. The top should be nicely browned.

Recipe from www.glutenfreehomemaker.com

Archived