sreese68

Quick! Freeze Cupcakes W/ Or W/out Frosting?

Rate this topic

I'm about to make my eldest some gluten-free cupcakes for her 13th birthday! (Maybe if I say "I have a teenager" enough times, it'll sink in!!!) Only 3 of the 6 of us can/will eat them, so I need to freeze some. This may be a stupid question, but do you freeze cupcakes with or without the frosting? I'm just using some Betty Crocker tub frosting. Wish I could do it all from scratch, but my nerves are bothering me right now, and I promised her a chicken dinner, too.

Without!

Without!

Without. Make sure they aren't touching when you first freeze them. After they are frozen you can transfer them to a freezer bag to make storage easier and just pull out however many you want and let come to room temperature.

And the third person to join in and agree - definitely without. Enjoy your time on your son's big day! :)

Without!

Have fun and good luck with that teenager. :P

Definitely without and I would make sure they are thawed completely before frosting.

Thank you SOOOOO much to everyone who replied! I'm going to put some in the freezer as soon as I stand up.

It's actually my one and only daughter who's 13 today. She's my mother's height now and is a little over an inch away from mine. Every once in awhile I still look at her expecting to see a little girl and am shocked when I see the young woman she's growing into. I just don't feel old enough to have a teenager! (I'm 42.) At least when my 3 boys eventually turn 13, they won't look so grown up! LOL!

lol i'd do it with (because i've frozen with many many times). It turns out to be similar to a frozen cake (this is assuming that the cupcakes are also cooled before application of the icing :P).

Actually, it depends on the type of frosting; for example, Seven Minute definitely would not work frozen. Some buttercreams might but some things upon thawing change structure. For example, it is perfectly fine to freeze coconut milk but it becomes grain when it is thawed (usually not problematic).