This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten-Free In Germany, Paris, And Vilnius

Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

I will be traveling for work in Weisbaden, Hamburg, Vilnius, Vienna, Lucerne, London, Paris, Bonne, and Berlin.

I've been to London and Vienna with no problems, so I think I'll be okay there.

I'm a bit less confidant about finding gluten-free in the other cities. I am traveling with a large group, mostly by bus and plane, with a couple of trains, which is where the worry comes in--it's very difficult to find something gluten-free on the go, and, of course, I have no way to keep anything chilled. I also will have very little time in each city to actually go find food.

I usually travel with an emergency stash of instant rice, instant miso, trail mix, shelf-stable salmon or tuna, and dried fruit, but that gets awfully old after several days, and I don't think I can pack 3 weeks worth of meals into one suitcase anyway and still have room for a few changes of clothes!

I would be very grateful for any suggestions from anyone who is already on the other side of the pond (I'm in the States).

Thanks so much!

F.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Open Original Shared Link

...above lists contact for Lithuanian Coelaic Society.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

WOW, that was fast!

I got all excited when I saw all the gluten-free societies listed for the various countries. Unfortunately, I don't speak much German, French, Lithuanian, or Polish, so unfortunately, I can't get much help from those societies. :( (If I spoke those languages well, I probably wouldn't need to ask for help! ;) )

kareng Grand Master

WOW, that was fast!

I got all excited when I saw all the gluten-free societies listed for the various countries. Unfortunately, I don't speak much German, French, Lithuanian, or Polish, so unfortunately, I can't get much help from those societies. :( (If I spoke those languages well, I probably wouldn't need to ask for help! ;) )

Did you try to email them? Some of them might speak some English and give you some help.

love2travel Mentor

If you do decide to eat out I recommend printing off and laminating restaurant cards in various languages. We really put them to good use in Europe! :) I also try to learn key phrases and words for each country such as:

- gluten free

- wheat, barley, rye, oats

- allergy

- celiac

...to recognize words on packaging.

I use google translate to translate pages I am searching.

Mango04 Enthusiast

Germany is really easy. I once found gluten free bread for sale at the Dresden train station. Be sure to look for food in the drug stores (Rossman, DM, etc.) I've had a lot of luck in France too. Can't remember the names of specific places....just remember not having any problems grabbing gluten, dairy and soy-free food.

If you can stop at drug stores and grocery stores along the way (often in or very close to train stations) you shouldn't have any problems.

AVR1962 Collaborator

I live in Germany. The link shared surprised me and maybe I need to look into it more myself. The language barrier is not going to be an issue, most of Europe learns English as their second language and most speak it quite well. I have found they are very good at helping you with the menu if you cannot understand the language.

I personally have never asked for a gluten-free menu in the 12 years I've lived and traveled Europe as I didn't think they existed. I live in a farming community and do not see gluten-free products in the stores. I try to eat more salads and meats when I go out. Germany is big on their sauces and breading. You can get a natural schitzel, one without breading, but most places you have to ask if it is possible.

Have you ever tried any of the gluten aides? I take ImmuneCare Glutenase Plus when I go out to dinner just incase their is something that contains wheat that is not evident. For me, it works real good for the stomach stuff. If I do get dosed it will not help the off-blance issue.

Enjoy! Sounds like you ahve a great trip planned.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mizzilie Newbie

Hi,

I live in Munich, Germany.

Just at the beginning of August I visited Berlin.

They have many of the mentioned Rossmann drugstores.

At Berlin Alexanderplatz there is a huge DM drugstore and they have lots of Schar gluten free stuff.

Another good idea is steakhouses like Maredo or Blockhouse. The waiters have lists what is gluten free.

Try shops with organic (Bio in German) food like Vitalia, Reformhaus, Biocompany, ... They usually have gluten free stuff.

Kind regards,

Tinka

Jess Apprentice

I'm originally from Germany, and I can tell you that you won't have anything to worry about. You should be able to find gluten free products in most regular supermarkets (e.g. two common brands are Schaer and Glutano), and for sure at organic stores such as the Reformhaus chain, Alnatura, and DM (which is Budni in Hamburg).

pawelski Newbie

Fiddle-Faddle, I'm not certain if you're going to also visit Poland (you mentioned about polish language though), however considering you'll travel by bus, train between Germany and Lithuania, I expect you'll visit some places in Poland.

You can find in almost all grocieries or really small stores a kind of rice-bread, which is 100% gluten-free. In polish they are called "wafle ryzowe" (very popular as also low-fat). The taste of them is... boring :) but it's good to not to be hungry during journey via country.

Archived