violentlyserene

Restaurant Cards

Rate this topic

I've been wanting to make a reference card for people when they ask what I can't eat or most especially, for use in restaurants. I think I've finally got things narrowed down enough to cover everything but would really appreciate opinions from people who've got experience (i'm not gluten free quite yet, still waiting on the biopsy). The exceptions list came from the Dummies site.

The contents:

I cannot have anything with wheat, rye, barley, malt or flour in the ingredient name

Exceptions Alcohol (distilled), Caramel color, Citric acid, Dextrin, Flavoring extracts, Hydrolyzed plant protein (HPP),Hydrolyzed vegetable protein (HVP), Maltodextrin, Modified food starch, Mono- and diglycerides, Starch (in food), Vanilla (extract), Vinegar (except malt vinegar),Wheat grass,Yeast (except brewer

The contents:

I cannot have anything with wheat, rye, barley, malt or flour in the ingredient name

Exceptions Alcohol (distilled), Caramel color, Citric acid, Dextrin, Flavoring extracts, Hydrolyzed plant protein (HPP),Hydrolyzed vegetable protein (HVP), Maltodextrin, Modified food starch, Mono- and diglycerides, Starch (in food), Vanilla (extract), Vinegar (except malt vinegar),Wheat grass,Yeast (except brewer

Oats may be worth mentioning above too. A number of celiacs have problems with this.

I have a link to a guide from the Coeliac Society of Australia that may be useful. I wouldn't copy it verbatim though, particularly since I'm suspecting you're based outside of Australia. Also be wary of Wheat Maltodextrin, Wheat Glucose Syrup, Wheat Dextrose and Wheat Caramel Coloring.

Also avoid wheat starch. Yeast can sometimes come in contact with wheat too. Sorry to pounce on this (it's a great start), but the only Exception that I would consider definitely safe is Distilled Alcohol.

I'm not concerned with oats for now but I'll keep that in mind for the future. The exceptions are US only as I recall. The site didn't have specific sources though.

I've been wanting to make a reference card for people when they ask what I can't eat or most especially, for use in restaurants. I think I've finally got things narrowed down enough to cover everything but would really appreciate opinions from people who've got experience (i'm not gluten free quite yet, still waiting on the biopsy). The exceptions list came from the Dummies site.

The contents:

Exceptions Alcohol (distilled), Caramel color, Citric acid, Dextrin, Flavoring extracts, Hydrolyzed plant protein (HPP),Hydrolyzed vegetable protein (HVP), Maltodextrin, Modified food starch, Mono- and diglycerides, Starch (in food), Vanilla (extract), Vinegar (except malt vinegar),Wheat grass,Yeast (except brewer’s yeast), flour where source is specified

Please make sure my food does not touch anything that has touched a gluten containing item to avoid cross contamination. This include washing hands before changing to new gloves, getting new utensils for making my food, and washing down the grill.

Check out...

http://www.triumphdining.com/products/gluten-free-dining-cards

I'm not concerned with oats for now but I'll keep that in mind for the future. The exceptions are US only as I recall. The site didn't have specific sources though.

I'd be inclined to include oats, given that even if you can tolerate oats, we can't eat "regular" oats. You'd be at risk of eating things made with regular oats, oat flour, oat bran, etc. Just a suggestion....

I'd be inclined to include oats, given that even if you can tolerate oats, we can't eat "regular" oats. You'd be at risk of eating things made with regular oats, oat flour, oat bran, etc. Just a suggestion....

Oh I know, I don't ever eat anything with oats and that's why i'm not concerned with adding it. Do you think the washing instructions are okay?