Rate this topic

Does anyone know if this is more common in children with celiac disease? We are not at all rough with our kids and our 3 1/2 year old had this a couple weeks ago. I barely pulled on her arm and she pulled away from me and it pulled it out of joint. Then, last night, our 2 year old was playing in the living room while I was cooking dinner and we don't really know what happened (I didn't hear a fall or anything) she just started crying. She was obviously in pain and wouldn't let me see her arm, she was holding it just like our other daughter did when she hurt her's. She stayed like this for a couple hours, we were just getting ready to take her to the doctor I laid her down to put a diaper on her and she screamed and cried. I picked her back up and was getting ready to leave and all of a sudden she started using her arm and within minutes she was completely fine. I think she must have popped it back in, that's all I can think. They are both definitely gluten intolerant and most likely celiac. They've both also had fractured bones already. I know I must sound like a horrible parent! But we love our children so much and we are not rough with them...it just doesn't make sense to me that they have had all these injuries at such a young age. I know the fractures can be associated with celiac because of malabsorption of nutrients but I was just wondering if nursemaid's elbow could also be connected. Thanks!

I'm interested in your replies too. My youngest son seems to pop his elbow in and out a few times a year. My chiropractor actually showed me how to pop it back in because he gets nursemaid's elbow so often.

I think it's just a kid thing. It has happened to my son and my niece. One has Celiac and one doesn't. It's a body mechanics issue (ligament over bone because they are more bendy at that age to protect them) that rectifies over time. I would think if it were related to Celiac, we would hear about it happening with adults as well (called something different, I am sure :) )

My daughter had it . . . and she is the celiac in the family. When the doc popped it back into place, she showed me how to do it. She said if a child has it happen once, she is likely to have it happen again . . . and she did, two more times. The doc said they grow out of it as the muscles develop and stabilize the joints better.