CourtneyLee

What Is Wrong With Me?

Rate this topic

So, I've been gluten free for almost 9 months now. I follow it very strictly, but as of two ish months ago, I've been having HORRIBLE stomach pains, they're different to the pains I get when I have accidently eaten gluten. These are sharp stabbing pains, and as of two days ago I've been having the big D, stomach pains, fatigue, you name it.

I've had an ultrasound that checked my uterus and ovaries, a transvaginal ultrasound, and another ultrasound that has checked every single organ in my body, AND a blood test that checked my white blood cell levels. Everything is coming back normal. They also checked me for appendicits, which came back as being negatice.

I'm in my last year of school and currently doing some major exams, and I'm finding it really difficult because I'm in so much pain. Do you guys have any ideas? :(

So, I've been gluten free for almost 9 months now. I follow it very strictly, but as of two ish months ago, I've been having HORRIBLE stomach pains, they're different to the pains I get when I have accidently eaten gluten. These are sharp stabbing pains, and as of two days ago I've been having the big D, stomach pains, fatigue, you name it.

I've had an ultrasound that checked my uterus and ovaries, a transvaginal ultrasound, and another ultrasound that has checked every single organ in my body, AND a blood test that checked my white blood cell levels. Everything is coming back normal. They also checked me for appendicits, which came back as being negatice.

I'm in my last year of school and currently doing some major exams, and I'm finding it really difficult because I'm in so much pain. Do you guys have any ideas? :(

Are you still eating dairy? What about soy? Those are two common secondary food intolerances that can pop up after you go gluten free. Maybe try cutting one or the other (or both out) out if you are eating them frequently and see if you improve.

• Upvote 2

Inn addition, it may pay to see an allergist for skin prick testing. I was proufoundly surprised with the results,but it helped solve the food puzzle.

Good luck!

You may be experiencing cross-reaction (which is alluded to above), and oftentimes it involves innocent gluten-free grains because they're similar in structure to gluten-containing grains. Cross-reactions happen when the body becomes confused and misidentifies a food as containing gluten....and then the body has the same reaction it would if it HAD eaten gluten. It's covered in the book "The Gluten Effect" written by Dr. Vikki Petersen and her husband. She recommends cutting out all grains, rice, dairy, and soy for three months and then reintroducing foods back in one at a time, because it usually takes three months for the body to stop misidentifying the culprit. It can take up to a year to stop having negative reactions, but it's more common to recover after only three months. Just a suggestion....

Oh...and did the doctors test you for Crohn's Disease?

• Upvote 1

You may be experiencing cross-reaction (which is alluded to above), and oftentimes it involves innocent gluten-free grains because they're similar in structure to gluten-containing grains. Cross-reactions happen when the body becomes confused and misidentifies a food as containing gluten....and then the body has the same reaction it would if it HAD eaten gluten. It's covered in the book "The Gluten Effect" written by Dr. Vikki Petersen and her husband. She recommends cutting out all grains, rice, dairy, and soy for three months and then reintroducing foods back in one at a time, because it usually takes three months for the body to stop misidentifying the culprit. It can take up to a year to stop having negative reactions, but it's more common to recover after only three months. Just a suggestion....

Oh...and did the doctors test you for Crohn's Disease?

Thanks! Yeah I got tested for EVERYTHING and its all fine

This started happening to me after being strictly gluten free for five months. I know I have not been cross contaminated, etc. because my bloodwork last week said my results were negative from an extremely high positive when first diagnosed. I decided to go off dairy a week ago and have already seen an improvement. I was SO hoping it would not be dairy! Perhaps I can introduce it later - I sure hope so! (FYI - I never did have glutening symptoms so cannot compare this type of pain with something I did not have.) All my ultrasounds, x-rays, vitamin levels and so on came back normal, too.

Same thing started happening to me. I cut out dairy and within the first week I felt great again. Really miss my dairy so I hope I can reintroduce it!

melissa

This started happening to me after being strictly gluten free for five months. I know I have not been cross contaminated, etc. because my bloodwork last week said my results were negative from an extremely high positive when first diagnosed. I decided to go off dairy a week ago and have already seen an improvement. I was SO hoping it would not be dairy! Perhaps I can introduce it later - I sure hope so! (FYI - I never did have glutening symptoms so cannot compare this type of pain with something I did not have.) All my ultrasounds, x-rays, vitamin levels and so on came back normal, too.

Thanks! I'll give that a go, I hope it isn't dairy though :(