vveloso75

My Newly Diagnosed 8 Year Old Son

Rate this topic

My 8 year old son was just recently diagnosed for celiac disease and/or allergy to wheat. He loves asian food specifically filipino food, how can I safely prepare a gluten free filipino food? Help!!!

You may want to see Ming tsai's website, http://ming.com/foodallergies/ma-bill.htm

He is very active with food allergy issues and cooking of course

You can get gluten-free soy sauce.

We just found a line of frozen gluten-free Chinese dumplings etc. I threw out the box, but they ave them at whole foods.

For soy sauce - there is gluten-free soy sauce or something called coconut aminos. gluten-free soy sauce is really just the traditional soy sauce that existed before wheat was used. It's a bit stronger than soy sauce we use now, so you want to use a little less, usually. Coconut aminos are a little sweeter and a little less salty, so you have to adjust that way.

Thai kitchen has a lot of gluten-free products, like their fish sauce, I believe, and some of their seasonings, too.

You might try the thai rice wraps for some things that need a wrap, like deep friend banana and mango - not sure if they'd fry well, but might be worth trying.

For something like siopao, you can either buy a gluten free mix version of all purpose flour and try that, or you can make your own from a mixture of gluten-free flours. There are many recipes for flour mixtures out there to choose from and see what works. I think something with rice flour and xanthan gum will likely work better, based on the elasticity you'd need for the buns, but I'm not certain. I imagine if you look for gluten free siopao, you might find something. :-)

One thing for gluten-free dough is that it is usually softer/goopier than normal doughs, if you want it to turn out the same way. So I'd cook something like siopao in a pan that can help it keep it's shape, like maybe a muffin pan, perhaps. Otherwise, it'll likely flatten out too much.

Calamansi juice and a few other foods imported from the Philippines, you'll have to check to make sure there's no gluten cc issues in any factories where they're made, or gluten derived flavorings and such. I am not certain if, for things like natural flavorings and caramel coloring, they are more like the USA and use corn derivatives, or more like Europe and use wheat derived flavorings and such. You'll probably need to either ask, or start finding ways to make your own flavorings/juices/etc...

We bought a calamansi tree to try and get our own juice that way. Fish sauce was a little more work than we were willing to do, though. ;-)

My 8 year old son was just recently diagnosed for celiac disease and/or allergy to wheat. He loves asian food specifically filipino food, how can I safely prepare a gluten free filipino food? Help!!!

I found these recipes the other day, and the siopao uses non-gluten rice flour. If you read the comments, some people go round and round with it but many have success. http://homecookingrocks.com/142/

And this one: http://www.pinoyrecipe.net/siopao-recipe-siopao-asado-and-siopao-bola-bola/

Most dishes are made as usual, if you can find the gluten-free ingredients mentioned above.