GFreeMO

Grocery Store Belt

Rate this topic

I went grocery shopping yesterday. I usually try to avoid getting behind anyone with those opened on one end bakery french breads but yesterday it couldn't be helped. Whenever I am there, the belts look filthy to me. A lot of times, they have white dust on them. It looks like flour to me. On the way home, I got thinking about all of us celiacs putting our items on flour coated grocery store belts. Kind of ticks me off that these belts are so dirty. The carts too!

That's why the first thing I do when I get home from anywhere is wash my hands. I rinse them again after putting groceries away and always at least rinse my hands after opening packages and before I touch the food. That may sound excessive but I was a cook for years and even wash my hands before changeing ingredients so it is second nature.

That's why the first thing I do when I get home from anywhere is wash my hands. I rinse them again after putting groceries away and always at least rinse my hands after opening packages and before I touch the food. That may sound excessive but I was a cook for years and even wash my hands before changeing ingredients so it is second nature.

I do the same thing with hand washing. I just wish that they would clean that darn belt! Although, I would probably freak out that the cleaner would have gluten it. :lol:

I've been glutened a few times from the meat case too..I guess sometimes no matter what we do it is un-avoidable.

I never would have thought of that. Most the stores I go to don't have belts. I either use the self check out or the cashier station is the type where you push the cart right up to the cashier and they bag from the cart and then either reload your cart or put your groceries into a new cart. I do carry wipes so that when they put my groceries into a new cart I can wipe off the handle. I'm always obsessive about washing my hands as well and wiping down packages that came from the baking aisle.

I do the same thing with hand washing. I just wish that they would clean that darn belt! Although, I would probably freak out that the cleaner would have gluten it. :lol:

I've been glutened a few times from the meat case too..I guess sometimes no matter what we do it is un-avoidable.

I have been known to ask the cashier to wipe off the belt if crumbs are really obvious and there are not a horde of folks in line behind me. :ph34r: