This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

We Did Their Test Today.

mommyto2kids

mommyto2kids Collaborator

I'll let you know the results. Gotta love the prize box!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ok daughter was so apprehensive that they tried for an hour and a half. Two uncessful sticks. My husband is cursing needless to say. I'll try again next week earlier in the morning. Advice on successful testing would be appreciated! She's 6 and willful like noone's business. So frustrating. So those of you that really don't need the test for the school to listen, think twice. We did have sucess with son, 7. He was a champ.

kareng Grand Master

Hopefully, the people doing the stick do children often? That is the first thing to think about. Second, don't take the husband. When he gets upset, it shows LittleGirl that there is something to be upset about.

Make sure she is well hydrated. Extra drink every day for the week before. My SIL draws blood & says that is helpful.

Maybe something to do while they are drawing the blood like eating a sucker and watching a cartoon.

Lastly, a frank discussion tomorrow or the next day about the facts of life - we all have to get blood drawn every once in a while. We have lots of blood. It must be done even if we have to make it unpleasant and strap you down. But big smart girls will not need that. Smart girls don't watch. They sit still on their own or Mom's lap. They can say " Ouch!" " Zebra Breath!". "Poop! Poop! Poop!". ( the only time it's allowed to " curse"). When they are done, they get to......( insert special activity or treat).

This is important for her health and growth. If she had appendicitis, you would force her to get it fixed if you had to.

Roda Rising Star

Check and see if they have something to numb the area up with. My son went Wednesday for his scope/biopsy and the nurse put on this numbing/warming patch on my 10.5 years olds arm and left it there for a little bit before sticking him for his IV. He isn't afraid of needles but they said either way it makes it easier..numbs the area and warms it up to help the veins stick out better. Definately keep her well hydrated before the blood draw too.

Roda Rising Star

Hopefully, the people doing the stick do children often? That is the first thing to think about. Second, don't take the husband. When he gets upset, it shows LittleGirl that there is something to be upset about.

Make sure she is well hydrated. Extra drink every day for the week before. My SIL draws blood & says that is helpful.

Maybe something to do while they are drawing the blood like eating a sucker and watching a cartoon.

Lastly, a frank discussion tomorrow or the next day about the facts of life - we all have to get blood drawn every once in a while. We have lots of blood. It must be done even if we have to make it unpleasant and strap you down. But big smart girls will not need that. Smart girls don't watch. They sit still on their own or Mom's lap. They can say " Ouch!" " Zebra Breath!". "Poop! Poop! Poop!". ( the only time it's allowed to " curse"). When they are done, they get to......( insert special activity or treat).

This is important for her health and growth. If she had appendicitis, you would force her to get it fixed if you had to.

Well said. My youngest son for the longest time had a thing for shots but only at the peds office. He was fine for a finger prick or getting blood drawn at the hospital lab. He would try and kick and smack the nurses giving him his immunizations in his legs or the shot for strep. I didn't get mad or angry at him. I just stated matter of factly that it was going to be done. He had the choice of doing it the easy way or the hard way. He usually chose the hard way and it resulted in me and another laying on top of him and immobilizing him to get it done. He has finally learned in the last year that putting up a fight makes it worse on him not me. One reason I think he put up such a fit for the bicillin shots is because they hurt like the dickens so I'm told.

If someone could tell me more about the numbing patch, I'd sure appreciate it. What is it called? Do I need a perscription? I want to get her tested, please help. For those that already chimed in, thanks. Anything to pick up over the counter?

The blood draw office suggested getting her tested between 10:00 and 2:30,most techs on duty. But 2:30 was a bad time. So should I just take her back at 8:30 with no numbing patch or call ped for numbing patch or what? Bacause dad had no luck. I just can't not test her because she's stubborn. They wanted to do her hand and she'd have no part of it. She's a six yr old swimmer, very strong! So it would take 10 techs to hold her. I want to get rid of all the gluten bread that is everywhere for my safety and know first I should test her.

Roda Rising Star

I have no idea what the patch was or called. I'd never seen it before. It's worth a call to the peds office and ask about it or the laboratory.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

StephanieL Enthusiast

Open Original Shared Link

I have heard great things about this on my allergy boards. I considered getting one for DS but he has become an old pro (at 4, which makes me as a Mom really sad) at blood draws. I just learned about it and the science behind it is pretty good (having been in the health care field and involved with pain management for a while).

kareng Grand Master

There is stuff they put on the skin to numb it before they put in stitches or IVs. The doctors office should know.

Archived