stephharjo

Anemia And Headaches

Rate this topic

I have read many articles and such that say that anemia is a classic sign of celiac, but I tested negative a few years ago. Can you be gluten intolerant and have anemia as well or is anemia specific to celiac? I am definetely one of the two. I have been gluten free for a month and the only symptoms I cannot resolve is my brain fog, off balance at times, and headaches. I just went to the docs 2 days ago and they said that it was from the anemia, though none of the doctors I have seen ever told me to supplement for it. Needless to say I am now supplementing. But for the past two days I have had the worst headache ever! Has anyone else ran into this problem where you can't function due to the headaches, and if so how do you deal with them? I haven't taken anything for the pain yet and don't want to but I'm desperate. I am the main worker for my household so it is imperative that I am able to function. Thank you for any insights! Also my iron was 11.7 and my hemoglobin was 3.59.

I have read many articles and such that say that anemia is a classic sign of celiac, but I tested negative a few years ago. Can you be gluten intolerant and have anemia as well or is anemia specific to celiac? I am definetely one of the two. I have been gluten free for a month and the only symptoms I cannot resolve is my brain fog, off balance at times, and headaches. I just went to the docs 2 days ago and they said that it was from the anemia, though none of the doctors I have seen ever told me to supplement for it. Needless to say I am now supplementing. But for the past two days I have had the worst headache ever! Has anyone else ran into this problem where you can't function due to the headaches, and if so how do you deal with them? I haven't taken anything for the pain yet and don't want to but I'm desperate. I am the main worker for my household so it is imperative that I am able to function. Thank you for any insights! Also my iron was 11.7 and my hemoglobin was 3.59.

Be careful of what is in the supplements. Often gluten is in there, and even if in trace amounts could be a big problem. Don't use any Trader Joe's supplements for instance. Made in the same facility as wheat etc. is not good enough.

What kind of anemIa? Is it iron or is it from lack of B vitamins or vitamins A and D or some combination thereof?? This is common for celiacs--esp. difficulty absorbing minerals and fat soluble vitamins. I take co-enzyme B vitamins since I was unable to metabolize normal B vitamins. The co-enzyme ones go directly into the blood stream if they are taken on an empty stomach.

Sometimes pancreatic digestive enzymes really help, especially at first.

Taking probiotics also on an empty stomach (maybe with the co-enzyme B complex?) is also a good idea.

Eating liver a couple of times a week can help too.

Nattokinase with the probiotics and B complex on empty stomach can help heal the scarred villi a lot faster.

Bea

My iron was like yours and I needed iv iron. Then it went back down because of undx'd celiac and now I'm supplementing and gluten-free. The brain fog from anemia is brutal. But it'll get better as you heal and absorb iron. B12 can help too.

The current headaches could be gluten withdrawal, too, but iron can take awhile to build up with damaged intestines. If a hematologist is an option, some iv iron might perk you right up.

Ps: welcome!

I'd like to add to the conversation that your doctor should consider testing you for a thyroid condition. Brain fog from hypo/hyperthyroid can be terrible.

Yolo, thank you very much for the advice. I have iron deficiency anemia.

As I read everyone's response I realize that I am going to need to find a doctor that specializes in gluten conditions. My gastro in anchorage told me "I'm glad your feeling better continue the diet and here is a prescription for IBS if you need it. Call me if your symptoms return" I now realize that this condition needs more attention and since it was self diagnosed I am sure my current gastro knows little about it. Thank you everyone for your replies and advice I will be implementing your suggestions as I continue on my journey!

I am the main worker for my household so it is imperative that I am able to function. Thank you for any insights! Also my iron was 11.7 and my hemoglobin was 3.59.

Aren't iron and hemoglobin readings like this dangerously low?