This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Am A Bit Scared And Confused.

DottieB59

DottieB59 Newbie

I am 59, have had 3 bouts of sudden drastic anemia in the last 22 years. I have been to some highly respected Dr.s-but no one ever mentioned that I could have a disease called Celiac. I have not felt good this summer. I am a painter and have not held a brush in 2 months. I have always been moving, not now. Will this go away? I have to believe that I will feel better again-won't I? I have a great GP that asked me what I was working on. When I answered "Nothing right now", he sent me to a digestive Dr. within 5 days. I had both scopes. I have to have hernia surgery caused by the hernia rubbing the stomach till its causing me to lose blood. I feel so sorry for these little villi. I never knew I had them! Now they are flat. Can they recover? Can I have a glass of white wine? My sweet husband is out of town this week. I guess I am lucky that this was found by accident. Sorry to be such a downer but it is all so new and I am scared to death. Thanks to all of you that post-you are such a help.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I'll have a glass of wine, too!

Unless that bothers the hernia? Probably not but if it does, get that sucker fixed fast!

I found that many things I already ate are gluten-free - BBQ chicken, potatoes in various ways, corn tortillas, chicken rice veg soup, chili, Chex cereral, wine, Grand Marnier, cheese, etc. Some people delete dairy for awhile because it's hard to digest until the villi heal. I just cut back a little, hard cheeses and yogurts aren't as hard to digest as a glass of milk.

Read around on herer. In the upper right corner is a google box. If you want to find something, you can use that. Look at the what's for dinner and breakfast threads for some ideas of what people eat. Products can vary by country and over time, so check the date of posts and country if needed.

cheers!

P.S. I'm not throwing the whole shebang at you. You sound like you need a day or two to process and get used to the idea. Start with the obvious stuff like wheat and malt in products. Get back to us for more intensive stuff in a couple of days.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Welcome! Yes it does get better! You're just overwhelmed right now. Just take things one day at a time and you will probably be back to painting in no time. Stick around and read all you can and post your questions all you want. I'm artist myself but just for a hobby not for a profession. I just painted my first work in a long time today. And then it occured to me that I didn't feel too tired to paint (or do other things that I love) anymore. I felt like doing ten more! Hopefully you'll get there too. Be sure you are treating you anemia (and any other vitamin deficiencies) it with iron supplements that are gluten-free. Your dr should do a follow up testign in 6 months to a year to make sure you are adhearing to the gluten-free diet and healing.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

The thought that you have a disease and must treat it by never consuming gluten again can be very overwhelming at first. Take some time to read about it and the good foods you CAN have.

At first, it's best to stick to whole foods like fresh fruits, unprocessed meats, and later..once your villi heal..add dairy. You can still have wine! ;)

As you heal, and with strict adherance to the gluten-free diet, along with vitamin suppliments, you will find your energy and passion for your work will return.

I'm a quilter and am newly diagnosed. I have good days and bad days. On my good days I feel like doing a little work. On bad days..I don't touch it at all. You will probably be the same?

The best of luck to you. Knowing what's causing your problems is the start to a whole new healthy life for you.

Be sure to check the google links on the page here for topics that especially interest you, and be sure to post any questions or comments you have. :D

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Your "baby villi" will recover....just be nice to them and they will reward you with recovery of your energy, health, and painting too! It just takes a little time and due diligence. They are very forgiving little guys. They seem to grow back readily once gluten is stopped. :)

DottieB59 Newbie

Oh my goodness! You have all made me feel so much better! It is just over whelming at first.

I had the intraveinious iron at the hospital 3 days ago.

GlutenFreemanna I can't believe you had the skin thickening on the bottom of your feet also! I have been to countless dermatologists trying to get an answer! I have never heard of anyone with it. I thought I was the only one. I am thrilled to know my little villi will get better. I keep patting my tummy and telling them they'll be better. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart!

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Oh my goodness! You have all made me feel so much better! It is just over whelming at first.

I had the intraveinious iron at the hospital 3 days ago.

GlutenFreemanna I can't believe you had the skin thickening on the bottom of your feet also! I have been to countless dermatologists trying to get an answer! I have never heard of anyone with it. I thought I was the only one. I am thrilled to know my little villi will get better. I keep patting my tummy and telling them they'll be better. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart!

Wow, you HAVE been reading here a lot! I thought perhaps I was diabetic because whenever I looked up thick skin on feet I came up with diabetes but my blood gloucous tests were always normal. Anyway, rest assured your feet and the rest of you is going to get so much better in 6 months to a year.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Dottie,

welcome to the site. There is lots to learn about celiac when you are new to it. But getting started on the diet can be pretty simple. Eating whole foods and avoiding processed foods will get you a long way. Most people have no problem with wines, and there are also gluten-free beers available and rum and vodka.

You can find gluten-free breads in many stores in the freezer section. Some stores mark their gluten-free items with a green sticker.

All in all you will probably feel better and be eating healthier after going gluten-free. There is sometimes and adjustment period for several weeks or more digestion is kind of upset. Not all people have that though.

Archived