allergyprone

Gluten Free In Dorms

Rate this topic

ok so im a freshman and just started college, the college that i am attending could not accomadate my gluten-free needs so they put me into an efficency appartment so i could cook my own foods. its been like 3 days and i am running out of cheap and quick ideas for food that i can make. i have 3 cook books and they all require using more expensive ingrediants or they take forever. i would really like some recipes that are quick and i can eat, as i am allergic to eggs, peanuts, broccolli and the like, beans, bannanas and i'm lactose intollerant and don't handle corn well. please help i have 9 more months of school

thanks nicole

I'm fairly new to maintaining gluten-free and have other food issues of my own as well as being a full time college student. I have the same problems with ingredient prices and gluten free recipes. Instead of trying to replace things you used to eat with the gluten free alternatives, which are a lot more expensive (where I live its at least $6 for a loaf of gluten-free bread), try creating a diet of foods that are naturally gluten free. I eat a lot of rice to fill in the carb/fiber component. Rice is easy and cheap, and especially brown rice which is more nutrient dense than regular white rice.

Also, make sure you're taking a good vitamin to help fill in the extra stuff your diet won't be giving you with all the food restrictions you have. Supplements are definitely not cheap, but they really do help. Hope this helps! :\

Really, the college doesn't have any gluten free options? Wow.

I had a ton of ideas for you until I got down to reading your other allergies. I use corn tortillas for a lot of things, but that wouldn't work for you if you can't handle corn. How about rice? Rice is quick, easy, and cheap. Potatoes are inexpensive, too. A baked potato in the microwave is easy enough. Meats, fruits and vegetables (that you aren't allergic to, of course) can be inexpensive if you do it right (watch for sales, coupons, buy in bulk, etc.) There are also sites that regularly offer coupons for gluten free items along with tips and recipes (http://www.glutenfreely.com/ is one of my favorites).

I'd definitely suggest maintaining a membership on here, too. I'm sure there are several other college students in your position. I just graduated, and I know how stressful it can be to deal with a gluten free diet on top of a full course load. This is a great place for moral support, if nothing else.

Good luck! :)

thanks for all the tips, i do tend to stay away from gluten replacements like breads because they don't usually taste very good

thanks again

nicole