ndw3363

Condensed Soups

Rate this topic

Ok, so I haven't tried them yet, but I was so excited I couldn't wait to share. Today at Kroger (in the organic section), I found gluten-free CONDENSED cream of chicken and cream of mushroom soups. They are made by Pacific Natural Foods. All I need to do now is dig out some my old recipes that I thought I would never use again. Here's hoping!! I'll report back on what I think of the finished product. Has anyone tried these yet?

I bought some of the Pacific cream of mushroom soup awhile ago but haven't tried it yet. I'll be anxious to hear what you think of it.

I use those and the broths a lot. I like them. It was nice to have a tuna noodle casserole again.

I use those and the broths a lot. I like them. It was nice to have a tuna noodle casserole again.

Ooooh, tuna noodle casserole! Such comfort food! I haven't had that since going gluten-free. Maybe I'll need to get that soup out!

Several people from my Support Group have had reactions to Pacific Natural Foods. I won't even try it since some of these people have been gluten free for many years. They can't figure out why have had several discussions with the company and other members of the group. But I do know people who swear by Pacific Natural Foods. I just get too sick to take the risk. Let me know how it works for you.

I haven't tried the brand you mentioned, but had the Progresso gluten free cream of mushroom soup(in the regular soup aisle). It was different from the Campbell's I used to use, but it was OK. IMO it needed a bit of tinkering with?

Have tried them in things, never by themselves. I thought they worked well in place of the traditional Campbells.I

I tried the cream of chicken before I became allergic to milk. I thought it was better than Campbell's. I never used cream soup in Tuna Noodle. My Tuna Noodle recipe doesn't call for canned soup. But I did use it to make a chicken and rice casserole and I would make something called sloppy Toms (like sloppy joes but with chicken)--basically just condensed cream of chicken soup, cooked shredded chicken and crushed up potato chips. Mix it up, heat through in the microwave or on the stove and eat as a sandwhich on buns or bread. Unhealthy but pure comfort food. Sneaky moms could probably add a bunch of veggies and make it a tad healthier. ;)

I tried the cream of chicken before I became allergic to milk. I thought it was better than Campbell's. I never used cream soup in Tuna Noodle. My Tuna Noodle recipe doesn't call for canned soup. But I did use it to make a chicken and rice casserole and I would make something called sloppy Toms (like sloppy joes but with chicken)--basically just condensed cream of chicken soup, cooked shredded chicken and crushed up potato chips. Mix it up, heat through in the microwave or on the stove and eat as a sandwhich on buns or bread. Unhealthy but pure comfort food. Sneaky moms could probably add a bunch of veggies and make it a tad healthier. ;)

What do you put in your tuna casserole? I used to use cream of mushroom soup or white sauce. Now I use Pacific Mushroom soup because there is no dairy. It's good in there.

What do you put in your tuna casserole? I used to use cream of mushroom soup or white sauce. Now I use Pacific Mushroom soup because there is no dairy. It's good in there.

I used the recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook.

3 cups medium noodles

1/4 cup bread crumbs

1 Tablespoon butter or margerine

1 cup chopped celery

1/4 cup chopped onion

3 tablespoons butter or margerine

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon dry mustard

1 cup milk

1 cup chicken broth

1 9 ounce can tuna

1/4 cup chopped pimento

The gist of the recipe is as follows:

1. cook the noodles

2. Combine the bread crumbs and 1 TBSP butter

3. Saute celery and onion in the rest of the butter until translucent.

4. Stir in flour and mustard.

5. Add milk and chicken broth and cook until thick

6. Add tuna and noodles to the sauce, put in casserole dish and sprinkle with bread crumbs

7. Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes

Now that I look at this recipe again I noticed that the notes do say you can use canned soup as a shortcut in place of the sauce. That probably explains why I never liked the tuna noodle my mom made but when I made it myself as an adult I liked it. I'm pretty sure she used cream of mushroom soup. I've since learned I'm allergic to mushrooms so that option is out for me. I have not tried ot make this recipe since going gltuen and dairy free. Now I will have to try it with some coconut milk in place of the milk and gluten-free noodles, gluten-free flour and gluten-free bread crumbs.

I use the Pacific cream of soups and they work very well in place of campbells. I've made several casseroles for my non-gluten free friends and family as well and none of them could tell any difference.

I've used the Pacific cream of soups and found them acceptable. They are very salty, however, so I've had to adjust for that. They have nicer ingredients in general than Campbell's, more food, fewer chemicals.

I'd love to find gluten free egg noodles for casseroles. :blink: Has anyone found such a thing?

I've used the Pacific cream of soups and found them acceptable. They are very salty, however, so I've had to adjust for that. They have nicer ingredients in general than Campbell's, more food, fewer chemicals.

I'd love to find gluten free egg noodles for casseroles. :blink: Has anyone found such a thing?

I make my own. You can, too, if you desire. A pasta maker does help but you can do without...

http://www.wisebread.com/frugal-gluten-free-living-homemade-gluten-free-noodles