This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Work-Friendly Snacks?

Enigma33

Enigma33 Newbie

hello all!

I am a teacher and will be going back to work tomorrow. However, this will be my first time working while gluten-free (and being treated for thyroid and adrenal problems). I need to eat something every 2-3 hours and would like to keep easy stuff in my desk to snack on (easy enough that I can snack in the 2 minutes between classes (for example, an orange would not be good).

Can anyone suggest any pre-packaged food that would be good for this? Or anything that is EASY to make, that could be made the weekend prior? I am having a hard time planning all of this out.

Any ideas would be SOOO appreciated!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Do you have any other restrictions beside gluten? And is your school a nut free zone?

Nuts are good snack unless you have nut-allergic kids in class obviously.

Lara Bars are good (also have nuts though)

Enjoy Life bars (free of all 8 allergens if you need it)

gluten-free pretzels

Dried fruit (raisins, apricots, craisins, banana chips, apple chips, etc)

Lays Stax

Popcorn

corn chips

jerky

Keep a little lunch bag with an ice pack and you can keep some things that need to be kept somewhat cold like:

Baby Carrots or other raw veggies and hummus

celery with cream cheese or peanut butter

presliced apples just put lemon juice on it to keep them from going bad) and caramel

pudding cups

jello

cheese cubes

hard boiled egg

lunch meat

Enigma33 Newbie

Do you have any other restrictions beside gluten? And is your school a nut free zone?

Ha, I am not sure yet about my other restrictions... still working on that one. But at this point I am trying to stay away from eggs, soy, and possibly meat. Also sugar (or at least lots of it, or refined sugar).

My school is not a nut-free zone, but I will possibly have students with nut allergies and will have to look into that first.

Thanks for the ideas!!

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

Sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, a little jar of peanut butter and a spoon?

Jestgar Rising Star

cheese sticks

pepperoni

hard salami (sliced)

jerky

I keep bags of almonds in my drawer, and cheese and meat products in my backpack.

Iornsman Newbie

The KIND bars are really good and healthy. You can find them at Amazon. Greek yogurt is one of my favorites too.

Enigma33 Newbie

Salami and pepperoni are gluten-free??? That is awesome!!

I'll check out he KIND bars. Thank you guys for your suggestions!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Salami and pepperoni are gluten-free??? That is awesome!!

I'll check out he KIND bars. Thank you guys for your suggestions!!!

Just be sure to check the labels. Last I checked Hormel brand pepperoni is gluten-free and Old Wisconsin beef sticks are gluten-free (both say gluten-free on the packages).

sb2178 Enthusiast

This is copied and pasted from my blog, and the formatting lost the links and went weird, but there are a few new ideas:

Nonperishable:

1. Nuts

2. Dried fruit or fruit bars

3. Whole grain crackers or brown rice cakes

4. Hot or cold whole grain cereal, like oatmeal

5. Packets of dried or canned fish (sardines, anyone?)

6. Popcorn, the plainer the better

7. Spoonful of peanut butter

Guest Cassie Getty

You may want to try Glutino Gluten Free Pretzel Twists. Its 100% wheat free and have no gluten component or ingredients. :)

kitgordon Explorer

Bakery on Main granola bars. gluten-free crackers with cheese. Fruit, fresh or something like Dole fruit cups. Raisins. Sandwich on gluten-free bread. Carrot or celery sticks. Glutino pretzels. Rice cakes. Yogurt.

Archived