josh052980

Allergy Medications

Rate this topic

It's allergy season for a lot of us (for me at least because of ragweed) and I was wondering if anyone knows a good gluten free allergy medication? I saw a thread about Claritin but it's from 2006/2007 so I'm assuming it's outdated, and I can't find any information on their website...

I'm taking a generic for Claritin (Meijer brand) and generic Benedryl (Kroger brand). I called the company on both of those because I was taking them daily. They're fine.

I generally take the generics because of the cost.

I know it gets old hearing this..but you may have to check whatever brand you buy to ensure it's safe?

It's ragweed season here big time in Ohio. Good luck to you!

What about pain relievers? I have heard just about everything is gluten-free and it isnt. I thought aspirin would be OK but I cant find any without starch or additives that I dont know what they are. Suggestions? Thank you!

What about pain relievers? I have heard just about everything is gluten-free and it isnt. I thought aspirin would be OK but I cant find any without starch or additives that I dont know what they are. Suggestions? Thank you!

I take Ecotrin aspirin, and it works fine. I emailed the company about 3 months ago to ensure it was gluten free, I lost their response, but I take it all the time with no issues. That's the only pain reliever I know that's gluten free for sure. I've heard Advil is too, but I'm not sure.

I called Advil today about their decongestant. They said there is no gluten in the ingredients and they do not add any gluten. Of course, I got the CYA that they can't gaurantee it is gluten free, but I'm taking it with no ill effects.

I am a great believer is "call the company". Many will have a legal dept requirement that they cannot gaurantee it is gluten free, but if there are no gluten ingredients and they do not add any gluten.... hey, that sounds safe to me.

Last time I checked name-brand Benedryl, they said their medication is free of all major allergens including wheat. I really like Benedryl at bedtime when my allergies are kicking up.

I take Claritin for allergies and Advil for pain. I should note that I live in Canada, as I know often the gluten-free status of drugs differs depening on the country.

Thanks for all this information! I think i will try the Ecotrin. Advil has made me feel worse after getting glutened. I just want to say this is a great place to get information. Thanks for all your contributions! I just joined but have followed for a few months since I began to realize gluten is an issue for me. I have not been diagnosed and may never be but clearly i get pretty darn sick when i get gluten and it is getting worse all the time. I really appreciate all your experience. This is quite overwhelming to walk into. I have always eaten just about anything that was in front of me. So this is a real lifestyle change for me and feels all-consuming. I'm sure it will get better!

I just called the Claritin information line and they told me that ALL Claritin except the Fast Tabs are gluten free.

I just called the Claritin information line and they told me that ALL Claritin except the Fast Tabs are gluten free.

Thanks for posting this. I am miserable right now and am resorting to my son's Claritin.

I know it's allergies, but am also nervous it's gluten or a new food reaction...

Whatever, I'm taking some....

Some Zyrtec is gluten-free. Target is one. I take that very sparingly only when I have to. It's the only one that works for me except for Clarinex which I avoid b/c it kicks my ADD up a notch (and I need to go in the other direction, lol).

Woke up with blowfish lips this morning and had to cancel my sub job and go to the doctor because of taking Benedryl before bed last night. Note to self to PLEASE learn to listen to self and not doctors who are convinced I would not be allergic to something that I have already been told nada by a pharmacist years ago. Yep! He was right. Reason: not gluten, but has same ingredient in Dimetapp that very nearly sent me to the emergency room in mid 2000s. Claritin, same reaction.

Sorry for that little extra 2 cents worth :(

Life IS lovely when we learn to listen to OURSELVES :) ALL the time.

Sorry about that.

I took two Children's Claritin last night and it felt like I took a sleeping pill. Hit me like a pile of bricks and still had to go back to bed with a hangover. I think I'll take 1 tonight.

It did help.... But wow I can't believe I'm that sensitive!

Sorry about that.

I took two Children's Claritin last night and it felt like I took a sleeping pill. Hit me like a pile of bricks and still had to go back to bed with a hangover. I think I'll take 1 tonight.

Wow, hangover feeling not good. Pretty serious side effect!

Sorry about that.

Supposedly, Benedryl works as a sleeping aid, as well, which was why I was trying it two nights ago. Glad Claritin "works" for you :), at least in one way.

According to this list, updated last month, both Clarinex and Zyrtec are gluten free: gluten-free Drug List

I had checked those before. Now, I'm thinking my Walgreen's acetaminophen could have gluten in it. It's not on the other list in pdf., Also, an ingredient is Sodium starch glycolate, usually from potato, but could be from wheat. Another ingredient listed is starch, which could also be from wheat. Probably safer to just buy Tylenol brand from now on and give away rest of bottle to hubs.

Be careful with Benedryl. Some people have an opposite reaction. I'm one of them. The last time I took it I could not sleep for 36 hours. Then I crashed! Start with a tiny bit to see haw you react.

Be careful with Benedryl. Some people have an opposite reaction. I'm one of them. The last time I took it I could not sleep for 36 hours. Then I crashed! Start with a tiny bit to see haw you react.

Oh, I'm DONE :) with Benedryl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!