Rate this topic

Do we really have to use gluten free makeup, lotions, soaps, detergents, etc?

If so, do you know of any gluten free Makeup lines? I am an esthetician, so my hands are ALWAYS in different cleansers, peels, makeup, etc!

I am ultra careful about what goes on my face and hands. Let's say you put lotion (with gluten in it) on your hands, and then absentmindedly pick up a sandwich before the lotion really dries. Or let's say you lick your lips and the lipstick with gluten in it get's into your mouth. I think all in all, it is just soooo much better for your skin if you put stuff on it that your body doesn't reject.

I use bare escentuals makeup. It's gluten free except one of their lip glosses (so get the Buxon lip gloss). I like it. It's a bit expensive, but I think it's worth it to have something that is quality and gluten free.

For lotions, I use a lot of Burts Bees (you just have to check online, but a lot of their stuff is gluten free) and Gold Bond.

Good luck!! :)

As an esthetician,you probably don't want to insist that all your clients use gluten free prodcts. You should be OK there if you are very careful abut washing you hands after any applications. That's a good idea anyway.

Don't you wear gloves when performing services? If you are wearing gloves and taking them off properly I don't see it being a problem. Just like gloves prevent medical professionals from blood borne illnesses. If you don't wear gloves, why not start? I've had hair dressers and nail techs wear gloves while performing services on me. If you do wear gloves just make sure that they are non latex so you don't accidentally cause a reaction in your client.

Are you highly sensitive? And how long have you been gluten free? Many of us have found, over many long years of elimination diets, food logs and on and on, that we are highly sensitive to gluten and many people with celiac know themselves to be sensitive to gluten in any topical substance.

That said, it may take time for you to discern whether you will be a "lucky" one who can simply remove gluten from your diet or if you are one of those who may need to also be wary also of things used on your skin.

Sorry, there's no clear answer here; time will tell.

Good health,

lisa