Rate this topic

As of today my seriously expensive nutrimill grain mill is in my lower cabinet doing nothing. Before I was dx I used it for wheat berries, lots and lots of wheat. Do you think there is a way to clean it well enough to use again? I could give it to my husband who could use an air pressure hose at work to clear it out, then I could wash it but what about the parts I can't see. I'm scared of getting glutened? Any ideas?

I'm afraid I don't know what your mill looks like. Are you able to take it apart enough to put it in a dish washer? OR flush it with lots of water?

I'd be concerned about getting every speck of gluten out of it. Don't know if an air pressure hose would be able to do that plus washing the parts that you could get at...after which even thought of running a few pounds of cheap white rice through it (not to be used by you, of course).

Hopefully someone will pop in here to let you know if they were able to successfully clean a grain mill.

I have a friend who just asked me this same question. The machine is expensive and she doesn't want to part with it. However, we determined that you can't really know if it is clean or not on the inside. She thought of grinding a bunch of rice...but how much? And how would you ever know? She would have to plan to take a week off to be sick the first time she tried baking bread from things ground in her machine. I think her machine is still sitting there too. We will see if anyone has been brave enough to try it. :ph34r::blink:

If you cannot take it all the way apart....

Sell it, and buy another one with the proceeds. Or freecycle it to someone who needs it.

Read the reviews on this model... even normal people complained it was difficult to clean.

That was going to be my reply, sell it and buy another. I grind brown rice with a Melitta burr grinder, cost me $16 at the local Vons. I know this is not what you want to hear.....

That was going to be my reply, sell it and buy another. I grind brown rice with a Melitta burr grinder, cost me $16 at the local Vons. I know this is not what you want to hear.....

Ha ha, no...not really but it's the best advice. I can't be sure no matter how much I clean it :( My husband is an engineer and he wants to take it to work and see if he can really take it apart & clean it. IF he does that, then I most likely won't be able to sell it. I am going to try to bless someone else and sell it at low cost to them.

Thank you for the opinions

My husband is an engineer and he wants to take it to work and see if he can really take it apart & clean it.

ROFLMAO

This is up there with we recently got a mini portable grill, floor model on clearance, and I'll be ****ed if my husband managed to somehow get me with the first marshmellows he tried toasting on it to test it. Where does he set this up ? On the freaking floor of the garage/shop building, he just sets the grill pieces down right on the floor. I see this and say, "you are planning to wash this, aren't you ?"

Oh, I was pissed. They have NO concept of germ theory nor cross contamination, no matter what their education level nor being told repeatedly what not to do. None whatsoever.

I had eaten marshmellows out of the same package w/out problems, same chocolate, used gluten-free graham crackers, got sick anyway on this round, and it wasn't a gluten reaction.

Oh, I was pissed. They have NO concept of germ theory nor cross contamination, no matter what their education level nor being told repeatedly what not to do. None whatsoever.

Now I am ROFLOL and happy to know I'm not the only one who lives with Dennis the Menace.

To the OP, I'm sorry about your nut grinder. Will you buy another one? I can see where it would be useful...

NAh, I would love a new grinder but I have a long list of things to get. At this point I would rather buy a vitamix :) gluten-free cooking gadgets, that's a good new thread! Things that help make the best gluten-free foods.

I really needed to hear husbands all over are like mine! It makes me feel less crazy! Isn't that how you feel when you're trying to get the words "again, you're not hearing me!" out? Crazy? Why can't he hear me, he is looking right at me, LMOL :lol:

:)

NAh, I would love a new grinder but I have a long list of things to get. At this point I would rather buy a vitamix :) gluten-free cooking gadgets, that's a good new thread! Things that help make the best gluten-free foods.

I really needed to hear husbands all over are like mine! It makes me feel less crazy! Isn't that how you feel when you're trying to get the words "again, you're not hearing me!" out? Crazy? Why can't he hear me, he is looking right at me, LMOL :lol:

Love your amarylis pic, very pretty! And I've been called "bubble girl" by my dear companion. You aren't crazy, hang in there and btw I'd love to see your new thread.

(I bought a Ninja & love it, but it doesn't do veggies like I thought it would.) Thanks for your advice about the adjunct nut grinder.

Hey I have one I bought over 16 years ago and it still works GREAT!