This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Do You Get Scars Are The Noticable

Flasaltwater

Flasaltwater Apprentice

I have a bad habit of itching my skin to the point it bleeds with these bumps I think they are erupting by my clothes brushing against them. Not all are blisters some are just painful itchy bumps. I can't stand it. Then when a scab forms, sounds gross I know... I pick it off because I can't stand it on my skin it drives me nutts.

I'm guessing I'm making this worse but they itch like crazy. I have an appointment with a derm on the 12th. My poor skin on my back, my bottom and top of arms are so scarred from my digging this is a crazy intense itch then they hurt very painful

Does anyone else have scars from scratching??

I hate this I just want to cry.

By the way I have been Gluten free for 13days now

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Hopeful1950 Apprentice

Yes, definitely yes I have scratched until I bleed. My scabbed lesions would blister around the edges and drive me crazy with the itching. I have sat in the bathtub with the water running red from open itchy lesions crying my eyes out.

Have you been diagnosed with DH? If so, keep in mind that it takes quite awhile on the diet to see results because it takes awhile for the antibodies that have built up in your skin to go away. So don't get discouraged. Stick with it. I have been on the diet for a year and slowly but surely am getting results.

Some people are able to use ointments with benzocaine, lidocaine or pramoxine to numb the itch. I can't because I get a rash from those ingredients. You might try them on a couple of places, or do a test on the inside of your arm to see if you can use them. I also soak in the tub twice a day and then apply a tiny bit of Polysporin on any open lesions. I let that soak in, then apply a prescription steroid cream to any that are blistering and itching. I do this twice a day, every day. If I don't I am very uncomfortable. I also keep my nails very short and put bandaids on places that are bugging me so that my clothes can't start them itching. Unfortunately it is hard to bandage some places. Also, if I get hot and sweaty, I rinse off immediately or I will start itching terribly. I also have a wet frozen bandana in a baggie in the freezer which applied to an itchy spot will sometimes calm it.

As far as scarring goes, mine eventually fade and flatten out, but I have white spots wherever a blister/lesion was. The skin looks pretty normal, just places where there is no pigment.

The derm is going to tell you to stop scratching which is so hard, but the more you traumatize your skin the more you will blister with DH. They also may give you a soaking routine similar to what I do.

Good luck to you. You will get lots of great hints and suggestions from the other people on this forum because most of us have been right where you are.

Flasaltwater Apprentice

Yes, definitely yes I have scratched until I bleed. My scabbed lesions would blister around the edges and drive me crazy with the itching. I have sat in the bathtub with the water running red from open itchy lesions crying my eyes out.

Have you been diagnosed with DH? If so, keep in mind that it takes quite awhile on the diet to see results because it takes awhile for the antibodies that have built up in your skin to go away. So don't get discouraged. Stick with it. I have been on the diet for a year and slowly but surely am getting results.

Some people are able to use ointments with benzocaine, lidocaine or pramoxine to numb the itch. I can't because I get a rash from those ingredients. You might try them on a couple of places, or do a test on the inside of your arm to see if you can use them. I also soak in the tub twice a day and then apply a tiny bit of Polysporin on any open lesions. I let that soak in, then apply a prescription steroid cream to any that are blistering and itching. I do this twice a day, every day. If I don't I am very uncomfortable. I also keep my nails very short and put bandaids on places that are bugging me so that my clothes can't start them itching. Unfortunately it is hard to bandage some places. Also, if I get hot and sweaty, I rinse off immediately or I will start itching terribly. I also have a wet frozen bandana in a baggie in the freezer which applied to an itchy spot will sometimes calm it.

As far as scarring goes, mine eventually fade and flatten out, but I have white spots wherever a blister/lesion was. The skin looks pretty normal, just places where there is no pigment.

The derm is going to tell you to stop scratching which is so hard, but the more you traumatize your skin the more you will blister with DH. They also may give you a soaking routine similar to what I do.

Good luck to you. You will get lots of great hints and suggestions from the other people on this forum because most of us have been right where you are.

No I have not been diagnosed yet but I have an appointment on the 12th of September with the dermatologist. I to have white spots where there is no pigment any longer. This is just horrible its bad enough I live in the bathroom and I'm having trouble getting my Anemia under control but this is insane. I have more flamin issues then you could shake a stick at. But the skin rash is driving me crazy totally ruining my skin.

Thanks for sharing :)

rosetapper23 Explorer

You are a walking poster child for someone with celiac and dermatitis herpetiformis! Even if the tests come back negative (very common for people with this type of celiac--you can read this in Dr. Green's book, "Celiac Disease: The Hidden Epidemic"), PLEASE continue to eat gluten free and also eliminate iodine from your diet. It usually takes BOTH gluten and iodine to cause the blisters. Be aware that iodine is in seafood, iodized salt, salty foods, asparagus, and many milk/dairy products (except organic).

I wish you luck--I've been there...

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

I have scars too. Some are linear from the scratching and some are white spots where the sores were. I call them sores because the blister stage was so short I hardly knew it was there. Open weeping painful sores is what I had. The ones that healed are totally devoid of pigment and my skin is white there. Any time I go in the sun it aggravates any active DH sores. Consider limiting iodine and be very rigorous about being gluten free. Still I had to use Walgreens brand of Pain Relieving Ointment very frequently to be able to leave them alone. It is maddening. Ice helps, but who can sit around putting ice on them all day? I wish there was a better answer. I hope the Dermatologist knows what he is doing. I didn't have very good luck with them. They just told me to stop scratching and picking....as if I caused it all...yup that is what they thought. I hope you don't get diagnosed with neurotic excoriation like I did...because then they just want to send you to a psychiatrist...and you are ever further from the truth...that it is gluten. But anyway, at least you know about DH and you can avoid gluten whether or not you get a diagnosis. Sometimes the biopsy is negative if you have been gluten free for very long. But you don't want to keep eating gluten just to prove it to the Dr. You just have to know yourself and if your sores are responding at all to the gluten free diet then you are probably right. They will take a long time to completely heal, but the burning and stinging and itching do become significantly less intense when you get all of the trace gluten out of your diet. I feel for you. I was there. I am one year gluten free and have 4 little spots left that still react. But mostly healed. Hang in there and persevere. You can do this.

Flasaltwater Apprentice

You are a walking poster child for someone with celiac and dermatitis herpetiformis! Even if the tests come back negative (very common for people with this type of celiac--you can read this in Dr. Green's book, "Celiac Disease: The Hidden Epidemic"), PLEASE continue to eat gluten free and also eliminate iodine from your diet. It usually takes BOTH gluten and iodine to cause the blisters. Be aware that iodine is in seafood, iodized salt, salty foods, asparagus, and many milk/dairy products (except organic).

I wish you luck--I've been there...

Thanks so much for the advice. I'm going to look for this book today.I have been battling this for a long time not knowing until recently that I am 99.9 % sure this is the culprit to all my issues. I have had one whacky Dr after the other. In 2002 I went to our family Dr for the diarrhea and being tired all the time I couldn't take it no more I had been like this off and on for 10 years prior. The Dr had called me at home and told me I was going to cause myself to go into cardiac arrest if I did not address my anemia. My iron level was 7.4 he put me on Slofe and Vitamin c which made my diarrhea worse. Then he told me the reason for all this is my Serotonin levels are probably low. Really??? that was the stupidest thing I ever heard. If it wasn't for this crazy rash I probably would still think I have IBS or something because I was also diagnosed with that as well.

Ok Asparagus I love this stuff. This is all coming together as I read through these post. When we went on a cruise last year it started after we came back I had already been diagnosed with a really bad sinus infection given lots of antibiotics. I will tell you I had also been on a salt and lemon binge I couldn't eat a meal without a bowl of lemons and a ton of table salt not to mention I was eating asparagus whole cans. The day we came back I had came in and ate a can . It was a few weeks later I had been on antibiotics for a sinus infection when I broke out it started from 1 blister but I have to tell you when it went full force I thought I was allergic to one of the antibiotics. But only till now that I am ridding my body of Gluten I am noticing no new bumps these still itch but I am nowhere near as bad as I was.

I'm so sick of itching and digging and the hurt. I live in Florida and don't wear tank tops in the summer thank god it cold at my job so I can wear shirts to cover my arms.

Thanks so much to everyone that has responded

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Ice packs stop my itching temporarily. I walk around with them tucked under my arms. Yes, my DH is under my pits.

I also use a cromolyn cream I make using a recipe on the chronic urticaria site. Google it, easily made without an RX. Burns a bit but then it goes numb, thank goodness.

I take lengthy lukewarm showers to soften the "scab" then gently rub off. I use Vanicream and Vaseline to coat the healing skin. Moisture is VERY important to reduce itching and promote healing.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rosetapper23 Explorer

I'm glad you're making connections between things you eat and how your body reacts to them. One thing I didn't mention is that many of us with DH are also sensitive to touching gluten. Now, don't bother to do a search on this on the Web, because you'll find no studies on it or any medical information mentioning this. However, many people on this Forum can attest to how they react violently to touching products containing gluten. Personally, I have to use a gluten-free shampoo (either EO or Dessert Essence Organics shampoos)and gluten-free chapstick, and I make all of my own personal care products. Whenever I accidentally touch gluten, such as when I'm forced to put together a platter of donuts, sandwiches, and crackers for a meeting at work, I end up with my hands itching uncontrollably and a rash on my forearms that lasts for about a week. It's not even DH--it's just an itchy, random rash. Last week, a co-worker arranged a bunch of pastries on a platter and scattered crumbs all over my work surface. I didn't notice and placed a binder on top of the crumbs, and after I picked up the binder (holding it between my hand and elbow), I noticed the crumbs sticking to my hands and arms. The itching and rash started up within a few minutes.

So...the lesson is, it takes time to get it all out of your system, and you have to stay vigilant at all times. Try not to kiss old Aunt Mabel on the lips or cheek either, because she's probably wearing lipstick and gluten-containing makeup or lotions. If you have a significant other, he'll need to brush his teeth and rinse his mouth and lips before kissing you. Anyone in your household who handles gluten should wash there hands before touching you or anything you generally touch. I know that this sounds over-the-top, but, believe me, it's necessary.

Flasaltwater Apprentice

I'm glad you're making connections between things you eat and how your body reacts to them. One thing I didn't mention is that many of us with DH are also sensitive to touching gluten. Now, don't bother to do a search on this on the Web, because you'll find no studies on it or any medical information mentioning this. However, many people on this Forum can attest to how they react violently to touching products containing gluten. Personally, I have to use a gluten-free shampoo (either EO or Dessert Essence Organics shampoos)and gluten-free chapstick, and I make all of my own personal care products. Whenever I accidentally touch gluten, such as when I'm forced to put together a platter of donuts, sandwiches, and crackers for a meeting at work, I end up with my hands itching uncontrollably and a rash on my forearms that lasts for about a week. It's not even DH--it's just an itchy, random rash. Last week, a co-worker arranged a bunch of pastries on a platter and scattered crumbs all over my work surface. I didn't notice and placed a binder on top of the crumbs, and after I picked up the binder (holding it between my hand and elbow), I noticed the crumbs sticking to my hands and arms. The itching and rash started up within a few minutes.

So...the lesson is, it takes time to get it all out of your system, and you have to stay vigilant at all times. Try not to kiss old Aunt Mabel on the lips or cheek either, because she's probably wearing lipstick and gluten-containing makeup or lotions. If you have a significant other, he'll need to brush his teeth and rinse his mouth and lips before kissing you. Anyone in your household who handles gluten should wash there hands before touching you or anything you generally touch. I know that this sounds over-the-top, but, believe me, it's necessary.

I'm so paranoid now I actually am starting to be very cautious of what I touch, my 14 year old wanted a frozen Pizza last night I had my husband open the package and put it in the oven. I refuse to touch it. I do not use pans after they have used them. I tend to cover things with foil before I cook my food. I read the ingredients on all my cosmetics and personal care items. I know as I go this will just be a way of life for me. I have no problem doing any of things because I am starting to feel better not a drastic change but I see a difference in a lot of my symptoms already. One thing I wanted a big mac so bad today. I was going to get one without the bread until I found out the special sauce had Gluten in it. I am having terrible withdraws headache the whole nine yards. I know this will get better thanks so much for your response

rosetapper23 Explorer

Carl's Jr., Burger King, and In-and-Out Burger tend to do a nice job with preparing their burgers gluten free in lettuce wraps. Explain how sensitive you are to the manager, and they will usually take extra care. When I've gone to Carl's Jr. (which is rare--I usually only stop at a fast food restaurant on a long car ride), the manager always prepares it him/herself to ensure that safe practices are used. I would never consider going to McDonald's, though.

If you can find Against the Grain Gourmet baguettes, you might discover that they are so much like gluten-containing sourdough baguettes, you'll feel better on the gluten-free diet.

Flasaltwater Apprentice

Ill look for the baguette maybe whole foods I hate udis bread it makes my D worse. I will have to give bk a try as we do not have the other places mentioned. Thanks so much for the information

cahill Collaborator

Ill look for the baguette maybe whole foods I hate udis bread it makes my D worse. I will have to give bk a try as we do not have the other places mentioned. Thanks so much for the information

if udi's breads make your D worse ,have you considered you may have issues with eggs?? Just asking because when I was at my sickest eggs were a MAJOR issue.

And to answer you original question,, yes I have scars from my DH

Flasaltwater Apprentice

if udi's breads make your D worse ,have you considered you may have issues with eggs?? Just asking because when I was at my sickest eggs were a MAJOR issue.

And to answer you original question,, yes I have scars from my DH

Yes I have thought of egg as a problem. I can eat eggs and they don't bother me other then my rash is itchier, Well maybe I do have a problem with eggs but normally they do not give me gas or bloat me like I was before removing the evil grains from my diet. Dairy in any form I seriously cannot digest at all. I have major gas and stomach pains plus the dreaded bloating.

I'll have to pay better attention to my bowels when eating eggs. :)

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Try your best to stop itching it if you can. I have the same problem as you--I itch until it bleeds and then it is more likely to get infected, loook worse and leave scars. When I saw a dermatologist to try to get a diagnosis she said it was too scrathed and picked for her to biopsy anything or to tell what it might be. All she could do was give me steroid cream (which didn't do much) and told me to come back if I had any of the blisters reform that I hadn't scrathed open. I tried not to itch them but I would still itch in my sleep and never got back to the Derm. My rash went away after about 6 months gluten-free but I do still have white scars all over my arms. I've tried all those scar creams to reduce the appearance of them and nothing seems to help. So my advice is try to stop itching them before you go see the Dermotologist! Do whatever you have to do--keep your nails trimmed shot, where gloves when you sleep, slather yourself in anti-itch or sunburn cream, all of the above advice to stop itching.

Archived