This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Difference Between Dh And Psoriasis

krystynycole

krystynycole Contributor

Can someone tell me the difference between DH and Psoriasis? I have tried to research it over the web and am getting conflicting reports. I was diagnosis psoriasis before any thought of going gluten-free on the basis that I had intense itching and white patches all over my scalp and a bright read underneath. I was given a steroid and it helped the symptoms, however it made my hair fall out so I was not going to keep taking it as my hair is very thin to begin with. I stopped using hair products of any kind besides shampoo and conditioner. I also stopped using a curling iron/straightener/blow dryer/etc. While it is better after I stopped using all of these things (while I was still eating gluten) and I no longer had chunks of hair and scalp fall on top my shirts any more, I still feel very itchy and have not noticed any change since going gluten-free. Does this sound like DH to any one?? Or does it sound more just like psoriasis?? I'm just trying to find a solution to the itching! Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

beebs Enthusiast

Can someone tell me the difference between DH and Psoriasis? I have tried to research it over the web and am getting conflicting reports. I was diagnosis psoriasis before any thought of going gluten-free on the basis that I had intense itching and white patches all over my scalp and a bright read underneath. I was given a steroid and it helped the symptoms, however it made my hair fall out so I was not going to keep taking it as my hair is very thin to begin with. I stopped using hair products of any kind besides shampoo and conditioner. I also stopped using a curling iron/straightener/blow dryer/etc. While it is better after I stopped using all of these things (while I was still eating gluten) and I no longer had chunks of hair and scalp fall on top my shirts any more, I still feel very itchy and have not noticed any change since going gluten-free. Does this sound like DH to any one?? Or does it sound more just like psoriasis?? I'm just trying to find a solution to the itching! Thanks!

DH is directly related to eating gluten Psoriasis is a completely separate autoimmune disease. If it was DH it would clear up if you were gluten free. Psoriasis is pretty obvious looking so if you were diagnosed with that then I would assume that is what you have. Just from the way you are describing it white patches with red underneath - sounds like psoriasis. Whereas DH is like fluid filled bubbles and often mimics spots - ie on both elbows or one both the backs of your knees, on both buttocks cheeks etc.

Here is a picture of DH

Open Original Shared Link

and here is a picture of Psoriasis

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-lucElm_0NCA/TdUXzjTz5uI/AAAAAAAABro/uTAzyY0Ny9U/s1600/Psoriasis.webp

krystynycole Contributor

Thanks! I just don't really trust many doctors any more since I've been through so much crap trying to figure out what's wrong with me. They tried to convince that I had a STD before...yeah it turns out I'm just gluten intolerance.

bartfull Rising Star

I am convinced that diet has EVERYTHING to do with psoriasis. Mom had it, and was under a dermatologists care for thirty years before she was diagnosed with Celiac. After she had been gluten free for awhile, her psoriasis completely and permanently went away.

Now, it's my turn. I have psoriasis, and for me, it is corn that I must avoid. That is hard because it seems there is corn in everything. I've been doing pretty well, and my psoriasis was totally gone until I had to take some Advil. (I threw away my generic ibuprofen because it contained gluten. The brand name doesn't, but it does have corn.) My psoriasis flared and started coming back.

My advice to you is, go whole foods only. Meat and veggies, and maybe some brown rice. After you've seen improvement in your psoriasis, then you can start adding back the things like potatoes and corn and see if it makes your P flare.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

It's hard to tell. Take the advice above and pick one thing to add back at a time.

DH can take YEARS to go away on a gluten-free diet.

My DH (what I'm pretty sure is DH, waiting for biopsy) looked different when I was on corticosteroids. It masked the typical look and action of it. Getting off them can be terrible, but maybe necessary.

Cut out doses, etc. And moisturize like crazy. Maybe massage your scalp with pure oils?

krystynycole Contributor

I am convinced that diet has EVERYTHING to do with psoriasis. Mom had it, and was under a dermatologists care for thirty years before she was diagnosed with Celiac. After she had been gluten free for awhile, her psoriasis completely and permanently went away.

Now, it's my turn. I have psoriasis, and for me, it is corn that I must avoid. That is hard because it seems there is corn in everything. I've been doing pretty well, and my psoriasis was totally gone until I had to take some Advil. (I threw away my generic ibuprofen because it contained gluten. The brand name doesn't, but it does have corn.) My psoriasis flared and started coming back.

My advice to you is, go whole foods only. Meat and veggies, and maybe some brown rice. After you've seen improvement in your psoriasis, then you can start adding back the things like potatoes and corn and see if it makes your P flare.

This is interesting! I don't know much about a corn free diet but it sounds like it's worth a shot to be rid of this crazy itching and be able to do my hair again! (I miss doing my hair and I think my husband does too, though he's too supportive to admit it to me). Is there any hidden corn sources I should know about?

lovegrov Collaborator

I have or have had both and what you describe sounds exactly like psoriasis and nothing like DH to me.

richard

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

beebs Enthusiast

See - I do actually agree with this. I was talking to a well known immunologist who owns australias first grain free bakery/cafe the other day. And he has done numerous studies in his career that basically say that we shouldn't be eating any grains whatsoever, his studies indicate that you can basically put any autoimmune disease into remission by following extremely strict diet consisting of red meat and green tea and herbs. Sounds like a nightmare to me -especially as I was vego for 10 years and I eat salad every single day - its my favourite food. But really the fact that so many people are also sensitive to corn etc just goes to show it can't really just be as simple as just gluten. He goes as far as to say that rice is just totally bad as well. So scary. But I'm going to read his studies and come to my own conclusion. I mean I am gluten free for 7 months so I should be feeling awesome - but now my other autoimmune disease has just spiralled and I am getting new symptoms every day- ack!!

lovegrov Collaborator

Red meat, green tea and herbs alone? I don't think so.

richard

bartfull Rising Star

Krystyn, there is hidden corn in so many things! If you Google "corn allergy", you will find many websites and forums where you can seek help and advice.

There is corn in most things that say "natural flavor" on the label. Many white rices are dusted with cornstarch to keep it from being so sticky. Frozen fruits and veggies are often dusted with cornstarch to keep them from clumping together. Even "natural vanilla flavor" has corn!! Most medications and supplements have either wheat or corn as fillers. It is NOT easy, that's for sure!

Here is a partial list of ingredients that contain corn:

I am eating meat, eggs, veggies, cheddar, and brown rice. I avoid most fruit right now because I don't want any extra sugar - and if I'm GOING to have sugar, it will be in Starbuck's ice cream, which is one of the very few ice creams that are both gluten and corn free. Besides that, many fruits have a waxy coating put on them, and you guessed it, that coating contains corn. I'm going to buy some potatoes tonight and add them to my diet next week. But even potatoes can be tricky. Unless they are new potatoes with thin skins, they are GASSED with ethylene to make them stay fresh longer! Bananas are the same - they gas them with ethylene, which is of course, corn.

It COULD be something else that is causing your psoriasis. For Mom it was gluten, for me it's corn (and probably gluten too.) For you it might be soy or dairy or nuts, maybe even nightshades. The only way to tell is to pare it down, then add one food at a time.

If there's anything I can do to help, just let me know. Heck, I'M still figuring it out - maybe we can figure it out together!

krystynycole Contributor

Krystyn, there is hidden corn in so many things! If you Google "corn allergy", you will find many websites and forums where you can seek help and advice.

There is corn in most things that say "natural flavor" on the label. Many white rices are dusted with cornstarch to keep it from being so sticky. Frozen fruits and veggies are often dusted with cornstarch to keep them from clumping together. Even "natural vanilla flavor" has corn!! Most medications and supplements have either wheat or corn as fillers. It is NOT easy, that's for sure!

Here is a partial list of ingredients that contain corn:

I am eating meat, eggs, veggies, cheddar, and brown rice. I avoid most fruit right now because I don't want any extra sugar - and if I'm GOING to have sugar, it will be in Starbuck's ice cream, which is one of the very few ice creams that are both gluten and corn free. Besides that, many fruits have a waxy coating put on them, and you guessed it, that coating contains corn. I'm going to buy some potatoes tonight and add them to my diet next week. But even potatoes can be tricky. Unless they are new potatoes with thin skins, they are GASSED with ethylene to make them stay fresh longer! Bananas are the same - they gas them with ethylene, which is of course, corn.

It COULD be something else that is causing your psoriasis. For Mom it was gluten, for me it's corn (and probably gluten too.) For you it might be soy or dairy or nuts, maybe even nightshades. The only way to tell is to pare it down, then add one food at a time.

If there's anything I can do to help, just let me know. Heck, I'M still figuring it out - maybe we can figure it out together!

Oh Geez....just when I thought I had this gluten thing down! Thanks :)

Archived