Marz

Got Poisoned By Coffee Guy At Work

Rate this topic

So around 30 min to an hour after I had a cappuccino from the cafe at work, my stomach started exploding. With fears of food poisoning, I contacted my hubby who said he was fine from our shared lunch. The coffee at work has usually been fine, maybe a bit of discomfort but nothing like this!

I suspected the worst... And asked a colleague that was in front of me in the queue what he had ordered... Apparently, the coffee guy was "saving time" or something, as he served us both the same coffee mocha mix. I unfortunately didn't notice the extra sweet taste with all the sugar I normally add. I know the hot chocolate they use contains wheat proteins, so that must be the source of discomfort.

So there goes yet another item I can't buy from the cafe, because I can't trust the coffee guy. I could educate him the next time I see him, but that's not going to make me feel safe playing Russian roulette with the coffee.

At least I'm feeling better already, probably have more nasty issues this week but I'll survive I think :)

Bummer!

Maybe invest in a thermos and bring coffee from home.

Either way I think you do need to tell the coffee guy what happened. If not he won't realize it's actually important to honor gluten-free requests.

Did you actually, tell the coffee guy that your coffee needs to be gluten free? Or did you just order a cappicino and assume it would be gluten free because it shouldn't contain gluten? I ask because unless you tell the coffee guy every time you get coffee it needs to gluten free you can't assume it is. It's like the stupid woman at my work last night who wanted a gluten-free meal, but expected me to read her mind that it needed to be gluten-free even though her meal does not originally come gluten-free.