GFreeMO

Dairy Free Breakfasts/rice Milk Recipe?

Rate this topic

I have recently given up dairy. I have been starving through breakfast b/c I can't think of anything to eat that does not have dairy. I was having corn or rice chex with lactaid milk and fruit. I am allergic to nuts and don't eat soy. The only rice milk in my area is Rice Dream. I wonder if it's possible to make your own.

Any ideas on what I could have for breakfast?

Thanks a lot!

Yes you can make your own; there are many sites online with recipes and directions. this is just one http://www.veganreader.com/2009/05/17/how-to-make-rice-milk-and-stop-supporting-rice-dream/

You could also use coconut milk instead of rice milk. Both Silk and So Delicious have coconut milks that are dairy free and soy free. http://sodeliciousdairyfree.com/products/product.php?p=so_delicious_beverage_hg_original#

http://switchtosilk.com/silk-products/coconut.php

Most people who are allergic to nuts can consume coconut products without a problem.

Check out the what's for breakfast thread to see what peopel are eating:

People eat all kinds of things and not just traditional "breakfast" food.

I use coconut milk (So Delicious brand) mostly when I do eat cereal.

How about eggs? I often have eggs scrambled, in mushroom chive omelettes, poached, shirred, deviled...

When we roast potatoes we do extra so I can use the leftovers to make myself all kinds of yummy things for breakfast including slicing potatoes and gluten-free sausage into a cast iron skillet and roast in the oven. Sprinkle with chives after (this is especially yummy with chorizo). I do skillet scrambles - sear a wee bit of pancetta or bacon, cook the potatoes in the fat, scramble an egg and throw all together with some scallions. I used to add cheese but have since had to eliminate it.

Smoothies are very good and do not require dairy. You can add apple or other juice (cranberry is good). I like to add flaxmeal to mine.

Though I have not done so I believe you can make your own rice milk. You could use that to make French toast (if you make your own bread and thickly slice it).

Often I have non-traditional breakfast foods for breakfast like leftovers from dinner. You can make really good gluten-free/DF muffins, cupcakes and quick breads, too!

I have tried coconut milk. It did not agree with me. Coconut milk has a laxative effect in some people. Me included! Great idea about the eggs though. I could have those with veggies, meat cut up in it or someone in aenother thread was talking about Cream of rice cereal. I'll have to get some of that too. I really don't even like ceral, it was just easy and left me with a blood sugar crash. Eggs and meat and fruit will be much better.

I have recently given up dairy. I have been starving through breakfast b/c I can't think of anything to eat that does not have dairy. I was having corn or rice chex with lactaid milk and fruit. I am allergic to nuts and don't eat soy. The only rice milk in my area is Rice Dream. I wonder if it's possible to make your own.

Any ideas on what I could have for breakfast?

Thanks a lot!

apple or rice cake w/ peanut butter

hot cereal (gluten-free, of course) with apple and cinnamin

eggs (and gluten-free toast if available, if not, fruit)

gluten-free pancakes (you can sub water if you have to)

fried rice

smoothie made with fruit (and maybe protein powder, if you can find Gluten-free Casein-free)

Have you worked out any baking recipes? Some quick bread recipes use oil rather than butter and you can slice and freeze them. I make gluten-free scones a lot but I don't know how well the soy-free Smart Balance works for that kind of baking.

The betty crocker website has no butter instructions that use oil in place of butter. I am going to make some banana bread tomorrow. Thanks for the idea!

Buckwheat pancake with no dairy or egg - but you can add an egg to this to bump the protein up on it

these can be made either sweet or savory

Then a serving of humus, or refried beans, or baked beans - very filling.

What about home made bread with a non-dairy butter? We have Nutellex. Other than that the Lowan Cocoa Bombs cereal is dairy free. We have a whole variety of cereals on the shelves that are gluten free and vegan.

How about Strawberry Banana Fauxgurt? I found it www.athomewithginac.blogspot.com

1 banana

4 strawberries, chopped

1/4 cup coconut milk (from the can)

1 tablespoon chia seeds

1/4 cup diced pineapple (if you wish)

Mash banana, add berries, coconut milk and mix

add chia seeds, mix. In the fridge overnight

and you've got a healthy meal.

This all sounds great! I am going to continue this in the whats for breakfast thread. Thanks for the great ideas! :D